Notices

Aspartame?

Old 03-10-2008, 09:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Next stop: real life

Aspartame?

I was talking with one of my sponsee sisters tonight, and somehow Diet Coke came up in the conversation. She mentioned that she'd read studies linking (not causally) Diet Coke consumption with mental illness and addiction. She also said that a nutritionist had told her that aspartame is converted to alcohol during digestion.

Has anyone seen any studies linking aspartame consumption and alcoholism? Anyone found that cutting out diet soda reduced their cravings?

I started drinking Diet Coke at a fairly young age, and I've been drinking a sh*t-ton of it since I quit drinking, so I'd be interested to find out if there is some correlation.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by tellus View Post
I was talking with one of my sponsee sisters tonight, and somehow Diet Coke came up in the conversation. She mentioned that she'd read studies linking (not causally) Diet Coke consumption with mental illness and addiction. She also said that a nutritionist had told her that aspartame is converted to alcohol during digestion.

Has anyone seen any studies linking aspartame consumption and alcoholism? Anyone found that cutting out diet soda reduced their cravings?

I started drinking Diet Coke at a fairly young age, and I've been drinking a sh*t-ton of it since I quit drinking, so I'd be interested to find out if there is some correlation.

It converts to Formaldehyde. When I came to SR I was addicted to meth and diet pepsi. Like you I started drinking it a young age. I was a big time diet pepsi addict, like up to 20 a day off and on but most of my life. Started in the AM with a big one, and just kept refilling it all day long. I drank it instead of eating.

I quit once when I quit meth, but went back and someone here told me how bad it was for you. I wasn't ready to believe it then.
Eventually I started doing my own research on it and was appalled.
I found the real story of how and why it was ever approved, basically Searle Chairman Donald Rumsfeld bought the FDA off. It's a creepy horrible scary story.

I quit again and wanted to 'see' if these 'so called' symptoms of mine would 'go away'. They say it should have never been approved because it causes brain cancer in rats, tumors, etc. It also can cause depression, bipolar osteoporosis, ADD, cancer etc.....
It took me awhile and some figuring out and testing to realize how bad it did make me feel.

I started drinking it again last summer when the vanilla flavor came out got addicted to it again. Eventually the depression got worse, the ups and downs got worse.
I don't think it was the sole cause of my issues, but it definitely made a lot of things hard to control.

I check everything now, from juice to mints to candy, I try to never have that stuff.
I'll try and find the link for you if you want about how it became "Legal".

I'd stay as far away fom that stuff as you possibly can. It's horrible stuff.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 03-10-2008, 09:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

http://www.rense.com/general33/legal.htm

Rense.com

How Aspartame Became
Legal - The Timeline
From Rich Murray
[email protected]
12-24-2

From Norfolk Genetic Information Network (Taken from Welcome to the Spin Machine by Michael Manville Freezerbox Magazine - Welcome to the Spin Machine Freezerbox Magazine )

In 1985 Monsanto purchased G.D. Searle, the chemical company that held the patent to aspartame, the active ingredient in NutraSweet. Monsanto was apparently untroubled by aspartame's clouded past, including a 1980 FDA Board of Inquiry, comprised of three independent scientists, which confirmed that it "might induce brain tumors."

The FDA had actually banned aspartame based on this finding, only to have Searle Chairman Donald Rumsfeld (currently the Secretary of Defense) vow to "call in his markers," to get it approved.

On January 21, 1981, the day after Ronald Reagan's inauguration, Searle re-applied to the FDA for approval to use aspartame in food sweetener, and Reagan's new FDA commissioner, Arthur Hayes Hull, Jr., appointed a 5-person Scientific Commission to review the board of inquiry's decision.

It soon became clear that the panel would uphold the ban by a 3-2 decision, but Hull then installed a sixth member on the commission, and the vote became deadlocked. He then personally broke the tie in aspartame's favor. Hull later left the FDA under allegations of impropriety, served briefly as Provost at New York Medical College, and then took a position with Burston-Marsteller, the chief public relations firm for both Monsanto and GD Searle. Since that time he has never spoken publicly about aspartame.

The Aspartame/NutraSweet Timeline

http://www.swankin-turner.com/aspartame.html http://www.swankin-turner.com/hist.html

Aspartame/NutraSweet: The History of the Aspartame Controversy

By James Turner, ESQ. Director of the National Institute of Science, Law, and Public Policy (NISLAPP)

National Institute of Science, Law, and Public Policy 1400 16th Street, NW, Suite 330, Washington, DC 20036 (202) 462-8800 Fax: (202) 265-6564 [email protected]

Timeline

December 1965-- While working on an ulcer drug, James Schlatter, a chemist at G.D. Searle, accidentally discovers aspartame, a substance that is 180 times sweeter than sugar yet has no calories.

Spring 1967-- Searle begins the safety tests on aspartame that are necessary for applying for FDA approval of food additives.

Fall 1967-- Dr. Harold Waisman, a biochemist at the University of Wisconsin, conducts aspartame safety tests on infant monkeys on behalf of the Searle Company. Of the seven monkeys that were being fed aspartame mixed with milk, one dies and five others have grand mal seizures.

November 1970-- Cyclamate, the reigning low-calorie artificial sweetener -- is pulled off the market after some scientists associate it with cancer. Questions are also raised about safety of saccharin, the only other artificial sweetener on the market, leaving the field wide open for aspartame.

December 18, 1970-- Searle Company executives lay out a "Food and Drug Sweetener Strategy' that they feel will put the FDA into a positive frame of mind about aspartame. An internal policy memo describes psychological tactics the company should use to bring the FDA into a subconscious spirit of participation" with them on aspartame and get FDA regulators into the "habit of saying, "Yes"."

Spring 1971-- Neuroscientist Dr. John Olney (whose pioneering work with monosodium glutamate was responsible for having it removed from baby foods) informs Searle that his studies show that aspartic acid (one of the ingredients of aspartame) caused holes in the brains of infant mice. One of Searle's own researchers confirmed Dr. Olney's findings in a similar study.

February 1973-- After spending tens of millions of dollars conducting safety tests, the G.D. Searle Company applies for FDA approval and submits over 100 studies they claim support aspartame's safety.

March 5, 1973-- One of the first FDA scientists to review the aspartame safety data states that "the information provided (by Searle) is inadequate to permit an evaluation of the potential toxicity of aspartame". She says in her report that in order to be certain that aspartame is safe, further clinical tests are needed.

May 1974-- Attorney, Jim Turner (consumer advocate who was instrumental in getting cyclamate taken off the market) meets with Searle representatives to discuss Dr. Olney's 1971 study which showed that aspartic acid caused holes in the brains of infant mice.

July 26, 1974-- The FDA grants aspartame its first approval for restricted use in dry foods.

August 1974-- Jim Turner and Dr. John Olney file the first objections against aspartame's approval.

March 24, 1976-- Turner and Olney's petition triggers an FDA investigation of the laboratory practices of aspartame's manufacturer, G.D. Searle. The investigation finds Searle's testing procedures shoddy, full of inaccuracies and "manipulated" test data. The investigators report they "had never seen anything as bad as Searle's testing."

January 10, 1977-- The FDA formally requests the U.S. Attorney's office to begin grand jury proceedings to investigate whether indictments should be filed against Searle for knowingly misrepresenting findings and "concealing material facts and making false statements" in aspartame safety tests. This is the first time in the FDA's history that they request a criminal investigation of a manufacturer.

January 26, 1977-- While the grand jury probe is underway, Sidley & Austin, the law firm representing Searle, begins job negotiations with the U.S. Attorney in charge of the investigation, Samuel Skinner.

March 8, 1977-- G. D. Searle hires prominent Washington insider Donald Rumsfeld as the new CEO to try to turn the beleaguered company around. A former Member of Congress and Secretary of Defense in the Ford Administration, Rumsfeld brings in several of his Washington cronies as top management.

July 1, 1977-- Samuel Skinner leaves the U.S. Attorney's office and takes a job with Searle's law firm. (see Jan. 26th)

August 1, 1977-- The Bressler Report, compiled by FDA investigators and headed by Jerome Bressler, is released. The report finds that 98 of the 196 animals died during one of Searle's studies and weren't autopsied until later dates, in some cases over one year after death. Many other errors and inconsistencies are noted. For example, a rat was reported alive, then dead, then alive, then dead again; a mass, a uterine polyp, and ovarian neoplasms were found in animals but not reported or diagnosed in Searle's reports.

December 8, 1977-- U.S. Attorney Skinner's withdrawal and resignation stalls the Searle grand jury investigation for so long that the statue of limitations on the aspartame charges runs out. The grand jury investigation is dropped.

June 1, 1979-- The FDA established a Public Board of Inquiry (PBOI) to rule on safety issues surrounding NutraSweet.

September 30, 1980-- The Public Board of Inquiry concludes NutraSweet should not be approved pending further investigations of brain tumors in animals. The board states it "has not been presented with proof of reasonable certainty that aspartame is safe for use as a food additive."

January 1981-- Donald Rumsfeld, CEO of Searle, states in a sales meeting that he is going to make a big push to get aspartame approved within the year. Rumsfeld says he will use his political pull in Washington, rather than scientific means, to make sure it gets approved.

January 21, 1981-- Ronald Reagan is sworn in as President of the United States. Reagan's transition team, which includes Donald Rumsfeld, CEO of G. D. Searle, hand picks Dr. Arthur Hull Hayes Jr. to be the new FDA Commissioner.

March, 1981-- An FDA commissioner's panel is established to review issues raised by the Public Board of Inquiry.

May 19, 1981-- Three of six in-house FDA scientists who were responsible for reviewing the brain tumor issues, Dr. Robert Condon, Dr. Satya Dubey, and Dr. Douglas Park, advise against approval of NutraSweet, stating on the record that the Searle tests are unreliable and not adequate to determine the safety of aspartame.

July 15, 1981-- In one of his first official acts, Dr. Arthur Hayes Jr., the new FDA commissioner, overrules the Public Board of Inquiry, ignores the recommendations of his own internal FDA team and approves NutraSweet for dry products. Hayes says that aspartame has been shown to be safe for its' proposed uses and says few compounds have withstood such detailed testing and repeated close scrutiny.

October 15, 1982-- The FDA announces that Searle has filed a petition that aspartame be approved as a sweetener in carbonated beverages and other liquids.

July 1, 1983-- The National Soft Drink Association (NSDA) urges the FDA to delay approval of aspartame for carbonated beverages pending further testing because aspartame is very unstable in liquid form. When liquid aspartame is stored in temperatures above 85 degrees Fahrenheit, it breaks down into DKP and formaldehyde, both of which are known toxins.

July 8, 1983-- The National Soft Drink Association drafts an objection to the final ruling which permits the use of aspartame in carbonated beverages and syrup bases and requests a hearing on the objections. The association says that Searle has not provided responsible certainty that aspartame and its' degradation products are safe for use in soft drinks.

August 8, 1983-- Consumer Attorney, Jim Turner of the Community Nutrition Institute and Dr. Woodrow Monte, Arizona State University's Director of Food Science and Nutritional Laboratories, file suit with the FDA objecting to aspartame approval based on unresolved safety issues.

September, 1983-- FDA Commissioner Hayes resigns under a cloud of controversy about his taking unauthorized rides aboard a General Foods jet. (General foods is a major customer of NutraSweet) Burson-Marsteller, Searle's public relation firm (which also represented several of NutraSweet's major users), immediately hires Hayes as senior scientific consultant.

Fall 1983-- The first carbonated beverages containing aspartame are sold for public consumption.

November 1984-- Center for Disease Control (CDC) "Evaluation of consumer complaints related to aspartame use." (summary by B. Mullarkey)

November 3, 1987-- U.S. hearing, "NutraSweet: Health and Safety Concerns," Committee on Labor and Human Resources, Senator Howard Metzenbaum, chairman.

*****! Groups RTM: Aspartame & Aspartame Poisoning Information Site original documents and long reviews of flaws in aspartame toxicity research 7.31.2 rmforall

http://www.dorway.com/upipart1.txt UPI reporter Gregory Gordon: 96K 3-part expose Oct 1987

"Survey of aspartame studies: correlation of outcome and funding sources," 1998, unpublished: Peer Reviewed aspartame studies Walton found 166 separate published studies in the peer reviewed medical literature, which had relevance for questions of human safety. The 74 studies funded by industry all (100%) attested to aspartame's safety, whereas of the 92 non-industry funded studies, 84 (91%) identified a problem. Six of the seven non-industry funded studies that were favorable to aspartame safety were from the FDA, which has a public record that shows a strong pro-industry bias. Ralph G. Walton, MD, Prof. of Clinical Psychology, Northeastern Ohio Universities, College of Medicine, Dept. of Psychiatry, Youngstown, OH 44501, Chairman, The Center for Behavioral Medicine, Northside Medical Center, 500 Gypsy Lane, P.O. Box 240 Youngstown, OH 44501 330-740-3621 [email protected] Ralph G. Walton, M.D. ***********************************

Your Comments Are Always Welcome At Rense.com!
Old 03-10-2008, 09:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I read somewhere that you should cut way back on sugar in general during recovery.

Dave
Old 03-10-2008, 11:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I enjoy diet soda a few times a week, have been for years.

Never noticed any problems - but with spring on the way, I am in workout mode and only drink water (120oz per day) and coffee for the drive into work (black),
Old 03-10-2008, 11:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Philippines/Canada

Don't Drink the Diet Coke possible cause of depression as well
Old 03-11-2008, 02:59 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Aspartame Dangers - What You Don't Know Can Hurt You

Reading this made me glad that I do not like sodas and will switch back to good old fashioned sugar as God intended sugar to be!!!!!

Aspartame is, by far, the most dangerous substance on the market that is added to foods.

Aspartame is the technical name for the brand names NutraSweet, Equal, Spoonful, and Equal-Measure. It was discovered by accident in 1965 when James Schlatter, a chemist of G.D. Searle Company, was testing an anti-ulcer drug.

Aspartame was approved for dry goods in 1981 and for carbonated beverages in 1983. It was originally approved for dry goods on July 26, 1974, but objections filed by neuroscience researcher Dr John W. Olney and Consumer attorney James Turner in August 1974 as well as investigations of G.D. Searle's research practices caused the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) to put approval of aspartame on hold (December 5, 1974). In 1985, Monsanto purchased G.D. Searle and made Searle Pharmaceuticals and The NutraSweet Company separate subsidiaries.

Aspartame accounts for over 75 percent of the adverse reactions to food additives reported to the FDA. Many of these reactions are very serious including seizures and death.(1) A few of the 90 different documented symptoms listed in the report as being caused by aspartame include: Headaches/migraines, dizziness, seizures, nausea, numbness, muscle spasms, weight gain, rashes, depression, fatigue, irritability, tachycardia, insomnia, vision problems, hearing loss, heart palpitations, breathing difficulties, anxiety attacks, slurred speech, loss of taste, tinnitus, vertigo, memory loss, and joint pain.

According to researchers and physicians studying the adverse effects of aspartame, the following chronic illnesses can be triggered or worsened by ingesting of aspartame2) Brain tumors, multiple sclerosis, epilepsy, chronic fatigue syndrome, parkinson's disease, alzheimer's, mental retardation, lymphoma, birth defects, fibromyalgia, and diabetes.

Aspartame is made up of three chemicals: aspartic acid, phenylalanine, and methanol. The book "Prescription for Nutritional Healing," by James and Phyllis Balch, lists aspartame under the category of "chemical poison." As you shall see, that is exactly what it is.
Old 03-11-2008, 03:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Mick this is just my opinion only, but the fewer chemicals we put in our bodies the better off we are. This is one reason I stay away for foods that normally have fat in them being made fat free.

Pick up a gallon of "Real" ice cream and read the ingrediants and then pick up one that is "Fat-Free" and read the ingrediants. SOme how I think that the fat in the ice cream long term will do you far less harm then the multitudes of chemicals in the "Fat-Free" products.

If I want food I will eat food, if I want chemicals I will go to a chemical plant.
Old 03-11-2008, 08:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I only drink diet cokes with Splenda now.....wish they'd make more diet sodas with that...
Old 03-11-2008, 08:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

It converts to Formaldehyde.
I just read a book called 'Skinny Bitch', hilarious read. They call any kind of soda, diet or not, satans liquid. It has absolutely NO nutritional value whatever. At least ice cream has calcium LOL
Old 03-11-2008, 08:19 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Then I enter the monastery and ascend to Heaven.
First I quit drinking, then smoking...... not sure what to quit next????? I know one thing I won't quit!!!! Breathing you pervert!!!! LOL
Old 03-11-2008, 09:06 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by Mick HK View Post
I always thought that aspartame scares were based on urban myths. Snopes seems to confirm this:

Urban Legends Reference Pages: Aspartame -- Sweet Poison?

I'm not knowledgeable enough to say for sure, but I think I'll keep knocking back the Cokes (in moderation.)

Snopes can say whatever they want, but if it looks like a duck, walk like a duck, in the end Formaldehyde is still Formaldehyde.
Aspartame contains ethyl or wood alcohol, which has been known to hinder fetal brain development. Not sure how snopes or anyone can say that is healthy or okay. Even General Motors is considering using methanol for gasoline, methanol is what aspartame can and does turn into.
Ever let a penny sit in a diet coke can for a few days? or use it to get the rust off your battery in your car?

To each our own, we are free to do what we want.

But just because Snopes says it's safe, doesn't mean it is.
The research shows more than enough to prove the facts.
How it even became legal is all a huge money factor.

Then again, half the stuff in the grocery store is toxic these days. lol

:atv
Old 03-11-2008, 09:11 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Originally Posted by Paulie View Post
I just read a book called 'Skinny Bitch', hilarious read. They call any kind of soda, diet or not, satans liquid. It has absolutely NO nutritional value whatever. At least ice cream has calcium LOL
Yo bitch... lol, That's a joke between me and friends cause we all have that book. The girls are actually much nicer in person. My neighbors are good friends with them, so I see them often, one of them anyway lives right by me.

I Love that book.
Although after I accidentally read the Slaughter House section I became a vegetarian, I physically can't stand to look at, think or, touch, eww, anything about meat.....
I tried to do the veg thing before but it didn't work. But that book did me in, or that section.

I also got the book, Natural Cures part 2 they don't want you to know about.
He pretty much backs up everything they say. It's a good read, reading them together...

Although, it can be disturbing, knowing all that info. I wish we could just take a pill for a drink, and a pill for a food and be done with it.
I hate food.
Old 03-11-2008, 09:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I just read this article (copy the link below into your browser, it should bring you to it) today about aspartame. Icky.

One Woman's Astonishing Experiment With Aspartame - Articles
Old 03-11-2008, 09:15 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Far as I know, Taz, some 'chemicals' are good, some bad, and some have no effect. Given my diet Coke intake, I think I'll take my risks with the (apparently harmless) aspartame than the massive obesity-induced heart attack I'd otherwise be inviting! Having said that, I'm generally a believer that natural food is best. Just can't kick the caffeine (yet.) Cigarettes are the next to go (next month, hopefully), then caffeine, then everything else. Then I enter the monastery and ascend to Heaven.

Ah well - something's going to kill me. At least now it's Coke Zero, not beer!

Best wishes,

Mick
It took me forever to kick the diet pepsi habit. I still will have one every so often, even feeling as strongly as I do about it. It's still hard.
I can totally relate......
And yea, diet drinks are way more healthy than beer. lol
that was how I felt when I quit meth, No way could I do both...
Nor did I want to for along time...
:ghug
Old 03-11-2008, 09:19 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by miss communicat View Post
I just read this article (copy the link below into your browser, it should bring you to it) today about aspartame. Icky.

One Woman's Astonishing Experiment With Aspartame - Articles

Oh Thanks Miss C. I was looking for some 'current' info. or studies on it.

This statement really hit home,

The fact that aspartame is endorsed by the U.S. FDA as a safe product, and is recommended by many doctors as a good alternative sweetener in lieu of sugar is enough to make you go speechless with rage.

It is amazing to me, after all the research/studies I've read that it's still legal. Unbelievable....
Old 03-12-2008, 08:30 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
*~10 YEARS BABY~*

I'm aware of both sides. Read both sides many times.

Your free to believe what you want.

Just as I am.

I'm not asking you to stop drinking it. Enjoy.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:03 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Basically, if I'm being asked to accept that there is a massive conspiracy designed to protect the manufacturers of a sweetener which kills those who buy it... um, I can't believe that.
I can.

LOL

It's amazing what people will do to make money.
Old 03-12-2008, 09:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

With you on that one Stone!

I was so surprised by this I drink Diet Pepsi 4 x's plus a week I only drink diet sodas because of my being diabetic this I knew was sort of true about Splenda, it is made up of sugar alcohols( YES THERE IS A FORM OF ALCOHOL IN SUGAR)..........I am going to have to do some serious investigating here!
Old 03-12-2008, 09:33 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Hey Mick did you know at one time they refused to acknowledge the fact that coke had cocaine in it? It is called need to know and a lot of ppl think a lot more ppl don't need to know......I found out about splenda on accident it made my blood sugar go threw the roof after using it for about 6 weeks.........what you may see to be true for you and what you read doesn't mean that it doesn't exist..............ewwwwwwwwwww that sounded just like my Father preaching at the pulpit.....getting off my soap box!

Pamm