Notices

Question 'bout the brain recovering.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:27 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Question Question 'bout the brain recovering.

I am feeling slightly better occasionally per day like for a few seconds with my mood/attitude which is good and what I want, despite my horrific anxiety/shakes/chills daily, I think that's where the booze is being broken down slowly... I've been trying to convince myself that things will improve, just going to take more time. Can it take more time, for the recovery of your boozing years? As in can it only continue to recover in more time so I'll see more results?
Old 03-04-2008, 08:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Paulos I saw a huge improvement at a month, even more at 2 months, at 3 months I did not think it could get better, but it did, I am almost at 18 months and still seeing improvement.

It takes time, it takes work, a whole lot more work then simply not drinking. SImply not drinking left me with nothing to do but sit around and think about drinking and think about why I was not 100% improved over night. Time takes time, the brain is the last thing to recover from drinking. Be patient Paulos, do something besides sitting around waiting for things to be better, work on getting better.
Old 03-04-2008, 08:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I didn't mean overnight but I did expect some better feelings in 21 whole days I guess... almost entering Week 4 you know.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:05 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

hey Paulos,
glad to hear you're getting glimpses of something better in the middle of all this. For me, it took a month or two to really start to notice a difference. I have no idea what sort of brain-chemical stuff was going on, but not spending my days in a fog of self-hatred and anxiety freed up a lot of brain-space and brain-power after a while. I noticed I was getting calmer and less jumpy.
You're young, your body is still well able to repair itself. Your mind is too, but like Taz says, that takes a bit of work to help the process along.
Hang in there.
nl
Old 03-04-2008, 09:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I see... well the main work I'm doing is trying to keep a positive attitude and not feeling pity about myself, only my OCD/Fears of life.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Paulos I found the answer to my fears in the steps.
Old 03-04-2008, 09:37 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Maybe you could spend a bit of time over on the Newcomers list, encourage new people with what you've managed so far. You've achieved a lot and they'd benefit from what you have to tell them.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Who me? O_o I'm still in recovery and feel brain dead lol.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:26 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Paulos,

I don't have a whole lot of experience to speak from here, as I'm only a little past 30 days, but I have noticed definite improvements over that period. What's more, the longer I've been away from the stuff, the more I notice the improvements.

One thing that has worked really well for me is to stay active, like Taz mentioned. In particular, before I got sucked down the bottle, I used to be a pretty good runner. I've slowly gotten back into it over the past few months, and I am simply amazed at how good I feel these days compared to when I was drinking and not doing anything.

Of course, check with your doctor before getting involved in anything strenuous, but I think a little light activity, even just walking 30 minutes a day, could help speed up recovery - I know it has for me so far!

- RS
Old 03-04-2008, 10:36 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

Yeah when I do activity however that's when I get anxiety, shortness of breath, palpitations more than usual... I'm just going through a hard time.
Old 03-04-2008, 10:59 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Paulos View Post
Who me? O_o I'm still in recovery and feel brain dead lol.
Seriously. We're all still in recovery here, and you've been through a lot and are getting through it. Your experience could help others.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

I know one thing nolonger, in order to help others you must first help yourself and that's what I'm doing and I feel I'm not ready to help others good enough yet, as in I feel my own self still needs more work but I help as much as I can.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

..." did expect some better feelings in 21 whole days .."

You will learn in sobriety to face feelings not be controlled by them. Positive output drives positive feelings. Also, its easy to get in the "I want it yesterday" mentality once you start recovery. Success in recovery is not like success we got in booze. Controlled highs.

Most of my victories I realized in retrospect and that is where my strength came moving forward. Concentrate on God (or your HP) next right things to do "now"..like meetings, exercise, calling people. Keep it simple.

Your feelings will get better through action.

BTW, my head things did recover. Yes, yes, yes...you will get better.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:23 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I know one thing nolonger, in order to help others you must first help yourself and that's what I'm doing and I feel I'm not ready to help others good enough yet, as in I feel my own self still needs more work but I help as much as I can.
What worked for me was letting other's help me - then I got well and can do the same for someone else.

It sounds like one day you would like to help someone else. Why not give that same license for someone to help you? (i.e. following advice).

If we never let people help us, then how can we expect to help anyone else?

It's a lose-lose attitude.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Well said sugErspun!

Trying to do it alone, by myself, my way simply resulted in one relapse after another until I had to drink every day to feel normal.

Once I was willing to admit my way did not work and accept the help and guidance of others was I able to stay sober and help others.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It takes time and patience, I am still seeing myself grow with each day and I hope to continue too. I know for myself I still ramble on about things or have a hard time explaining what I want to explain, not sure if that will change or not but I am not going to worry about it. You will continue to see your progress. Good luck.
Old 03-05-2008, 04:28 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I heard once that you need to be sober for the amount of time that you used to get a full perspective on this. IE: if you drank for 10 years, you need to be sober for 10 years to see for sure.
Old 03-06-2008, 06:55 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
1000 Post Club

"I know for myself I still ramble on about things or have a hard time explaining what I want to explain, not sure if that will change or not but I am not going to worry about it."

I wish, ru4outoo, I had that good positive attitude but I do not ...
Old 03-06-2008, 04:49 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

"I know for myself I still ramble on about things or have a hard time explaining what I want to explain, not sure if that will change or not but I am not going to worry about it."

I wish, ru4outoo, I had that good positive attitude but I do not ...
I can understand where you are comming from, with me I just pray about it and leave it up to my higher power, he/she will do what is best for me. I can deal with things now being sober while I couldnt deal with them when I was drunk, personally I like it now. Just hang in there, we are here for you.