Notices

Meditation/yoga as an aid to recovery

Old 02-15-2008, 06:23 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Tyates

I am a yoga teacher and ayurvedic healthcare practitioner and have been for over 20 years. My approach is deep and studied.

As a therapist, I utilize yoga, meditation diet and lifestyle choices in every treatment and as a teacher, I offer education on yoga's benefits for the body/mind/spirit, since the body responds holistically to all experiences, for better or for worse.

Recovery from alcoholism is no different. It is a holistic opportunity to mend.

That said, there are certain paths and lineages of yoga more suitable for some and others that are best for others. We all have uniquely different temperaments, and its important to choose the right practices to support, rather than aggravate, your underlying constitutional strengths. Feel free to pm me if you are interested in some references and whatever I might be able to help you with. There are some excellent books and schools that can answer many of your questions with the depth that you deserve.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

5 years ago a group of us AA folks started a "guided meditation" 11TH step meeting in our area. There are actually 3 or 4 meetings in my immediate area that are all guided meditation meetings. It is simply an extension of the 11TH step of the 12 AA steps.

"Sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact with God as we understood God, praying only for knowledge of God's will for us and the power to carry that out" -STEP11

While this is certainly not yoga or pure meditation, it is a vital part of my continuing use of the steps. This practice is simply the extension of prayer. Prayer being the questions and seeking of an answer and meditation the conduit of the answer.

Simple breathing techniques are applied as well as "guided instructions" that allow us to settle our minds and bodies and ask for direction through meditation.

Obviously the 12 steps are numbered for a reason and therefore it is important that the first 10 steps have been used, this includes as previously mentioned in this thread by others, the act of RECOGNITION and RESIGNATION of our alcohol problem and the inability to solve that problem by ourselves (STEPS 1-2-3). Following those steps comes the PERSPERATION, IE work (STEPS 4-5-6-7-8-9), this involves the admission to ourselves and our higher power however perceived as well as confiding those defects to one other person and the clearing up of past misdeeds. This has allowed me to settle my mind so that prayer and meditation can have a clear path to succeed. Finally comes INSPIRATION (STEPS 10-11-12).

Probably more than you wanted with regard to meditation and alcohol, but without the 11TH step and it's meditation I would be lost and on my own again, just like I was when I was out there drinking and trying to figure out life all by myself.

Jon
Old 02-15-2008, 08:01 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by miss communicat View Post
Tyates

I am a yoga teacher and ayurvedic healthcare practitioner and have been for over 20 years. My approach is deep and studied.

As a therapist, I utilize yoga, meditation diet and lifestyle choices in every treatment and as a teacher, I offer education on yoga's benefits for the body/mind/spirit, since the body responds holistically to all experiences, for better or for worse.

Recovery from alcoholism is no different. It is a holistic opportunity to mend.

That said, there are certain paths and lineages of yoga more suitable for some and others that are best for others. We all have uniquely different temperaments, and its important to choose the right practices to support, rather than aggravate, your underlying constitutional strengths. Feel free to pm me if you are interested in some references and whatever I might be able to help you with. There are some excellent books and schools that can answer many of your questions with the depth that you deserve.

Thanks Miss (I was waiting for you to reply to this one.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:01 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hey tyates -

kundalini *is* the yoga of the breath. and it's all about the 'placement of the breath, and how the energy runs in the body. it's very good for the body. So much enmergy wise gets damaged by drinking - rebuilding from the electrical system up only makes sense to me. if youve got good teachers around ya- go for it, I say.

It's funny as well - as you get to a 'point' and you will - with the one discipline, then another will come along, or you'll hear about it or somehting like that, and you'll just 'have' to give that one a try - and IT will be perfect ... until the next one comes ... it's a progression.

I can't find a thing in the world wrong with breathing.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:49 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Barb, Miss C,

Thanks. I'm looking into some of the teachers in the local area. I can't remember the website (3eo.com?) that deals with kundalini yoga.

I'll keep you guys posted on how things go if I decide to take the plunge.

Thanks again.