Notices

Alcohol is taking over my family.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:34 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Unhappy Alcohol is taking over my family.

I'm so grateful for this site and I'm so glad I found it.

I'm here today because my heart is hurting knowing that all my siblings (3) are alcoholics and it scares me knowing that I could easily join them in this disease. I don't drink everyday, maybe 3 times a month but when I do drink it's never 1 or 2 drinks, I drink until I pass out or I get really mean. I have decided that this is not acceptable for me or my family and that drinking with all the alcoholics in my family is not helping them either, it's enabling. I refuse to lead this kind of life and I know I have it in me to do it.

My father is a recovering alcoholic and has been sober 29 years. His parents were both alcoholics and his father died at the age of 50 from pancreatic cancer. My mother's father was also an alcoholic, so this disease goes back many generations.

My oldest brother (37) has two children and is married to my high school best friend. His wife is always telling me he's doing so much better but everytime I visit them he looks high has a kite. My younger brother is 33 and he looks the worst out of all of them. He has one child and a wife that threatens divorce daily. Whenever there is a family function he has his cooler right beside him. One time I moved it out of the way and he got very upset.

My sister (33) a twin to my youngest brother is a closet/binge drinker. She is "always" mentioning about how she hasn't drank that much lately or the last time she did drink it was only a couple of beers. She went out recently and she downed 4 beers before driving off to her destination.

Thinking about all this is heart wrenching.

Thanks for reading.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:49 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and Welcome,

I am glad you are recognizing the family pattern and that you are seeking help for yourself. If you drink and you can't stop and it causes your personality to change, then it's a big problem. If you want to stop drinking, this is a great place to come for support and information.

You might also want to consider AlAnon as a source of support in dealing with your family issues.
Old 02-11-2008, 05:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
29a
God is my benzo

I can really relate to what you said. It's not how much I drink, but what happens when I drink that makes me an alcoholic.
It's like Dr jekyll and mr. hyde.
It seems like your father would be a resource. If you guys have that type of relationship and if you feel comfortable speaking with him.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

welcome. I can relate to this a bit. everyone in my family is alcoholic.
Old 02-11-2008, 08:37 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to SR!

Glad you are here with us.
Old 02-12-2008, 12:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for your kind words and helpful advice. I'm ordering some helpful books from FamiliesAnonymous.org and the Big Book as well.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Sasblonde,
"It's not what we drink, but how we drink", someone told me that a long time ago, and it makes perfect sense.

Seren.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-programs.html