Notices

holy relapse?

Old 02-04-2008, 06:29 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I spent several years in the Roman Catholic seminary. As a Catholic, you're under no obligation to drink the wine. Full communion is achieved with the bread alone. In fact, until recently only the priest drank the wine, for more-or-less logistical reasons. Since Vatican II the trend has been more towards consuming both, but it is certainly not required. In fact, some people prefer to pass on the cup merely for reasons of sanitation.

For an alcoholic, it's simple: Pass on the cup. There's no sense in messing with any kind of trigger. If you'd like to partake, that's your choice. But do not feel obligated. In fact, most alcoholic priests have special dispensation not to use wine at all. They use grape juice...drinking wine every day proved problematic so they just skipped it.

As a rule, there is never a conflict between your religion and your health/well-being. If something is going to harm you, do not do it. If you're stressed about it, talk to your priest. But as a rule, God wants you healthy
Old 02-05-2008, 11:15 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Choosing Life

Personal choice.? No, certainly not. My personal choices nearly killed me.

Medical opinion is that as an alcoholic, I "can never safely use alcohol in any form at all".

I just take the bread at communion. (Eucharist)

much love
JC
Old 02-06-2008, 01:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Music and Carol have already provided you with the best experience, strength and hope.
lol, what's this Rufus? We starting to rank ESH now?
Old 02-06-2008, 03:12 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Even in my heaviest of drinking days, I would of NEVER put my mouth on that bio hazard of a cup. Even if I was still heavily drinking and the only alcohol available was from that cup I wouldn't touch it.

When I was a kid I remember seeing a lady hacking and coughing, and she still drank from that cup. It traumatized me. I generated a fear of being forced to drink from it.

All the holy symbolism aside. You wouldn't drink from a half empty glass on a recently vacated table in a restaurant, but yet people will put their mouths on a cup that has had many, many lips on it.

No offense Jesus. But if you ever notice only about 1 out of 8 people or so drink the wine in the communion line. I'm a wafer man only!

Tom
Old 02-06-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Wine at my church has never been offered so I have never had this dilemma. However, after reading this thread I've decided that if I ever go to a church that does offer it, I'm just going to take the wafer. The alcohol issue is bad enough but used cups that loads of different people have slurped out of... ugh!
Old 02-06-2008, 12:46 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

When I went to my uncles funeral I did notice that now that have taken a small precaution. Now after every person drinks from it, they swab the rim with an alcohol pad.

Still though they use the same tiny alcohol pad over and over, and even though it may help, I seriously doubt it kills all the creepy crawlies.

Ok, I think I've gone on long enough about this. I'm sorry if I offended fellow catholics out there. Perhaps I need to do an inventory on this fear.

Tom
Old 02-06-2008, 01:32 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I agree with all you guys that the germ factor of the cup is an issue (I am a Eucharistic Minister, so I get to drink first, so I don't have to cope with the same issue as those who have to wait and drink last).

For Catholics, the wine is not a symbol, it is the Blood of Christ. My commitment to His Precious Blood, has, in many ways, helped to save my life, rather than hurt me in any way. I do not think of His Blood as alcohol, I am never tempted by His Blood to drink alcohol, His Blood does not produce cravings for me. That's all I can share, is what I experience.

With love & respect, Jomey