Notices

horrifying example of the price of alcohol

Old 01-30-2008, 03:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

horrifying example of the price of alcohol

Two little girls have died in 50 below windchill weather, when their father (allegedly) left the home at 5 a.m with his two daughters in only diapers and t- shirt, to go to the nieghbors.

At 5:30 am when he was found frostbitten and hypothermic, he was rushed to the hospital, where EIGHT hours later he remembered his babies and asked how they were. A search was on and both have been found dead, frozen to death, left behind by a man (allegedly) too drunk to remember his babies were even in his care. This happened in my home province, I am heartbroke for those babies.

How insidious alcohol is.... devestatingly so.
Old 01-30-2008, 03:58 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That is so sad
Old 01-30-2008, 04:13 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

ugh...just....ugh...
Old 01-30-2008, 04:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I just finished reading the same story Stonewolf.

It is just unbelievably sad.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

But for the grace of God.................

Things like this make me grateful for my sobriety as this could have been me............very humbling thought.

I hate this disease
Old 01-30-2008, 04:23 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Horrible..bit I can't judge..look at my actions

I know its easy to condemn...but l need to look at what I've done...driven blind drunk with my kids in the car COUNTLESS times...bought drugs with them in the car...used narcotics with them around..left substances within their reach..passed out for HOURS while caring for them...dropped them as infants...verbally abused them while drunk...physical abuse while drunk...Only God's grace and dumb luck have kept that awful headline from having my name in it.....that's the truth and its real and its scary...and I'm responsible.
Old 01-30-2008, 04:28 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I know i am only 20 years old, but what a devastating thought. I'm glad i'm making the changes now so i don't end up in this state.
Very thought provoking and numbing xx
Old 01-30-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Terrible tragedy.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

Stonewolf, thank you for sharing this horrifying story with us. I think it gives us all something to think about. Whether we have many years in Recovery, shaking through one of our first days clean or are struggling to admit that we have a problem. I know for myself, it's things like this that make me realize just what could happen if I choose to ever pick up again. I also think this is a fine example of just how lucky we all are to be sitting at a computer, most likely in the warmth and comfort of our homes and to be sharing our experience, strength and hope with those who struggle with this disease on a daily basis. When I read or hear terrible results of this disease, I can't help but feel so much gratitude and think how it could have been me and my Son who this happened to. Finally, I'd like to thank, I apologize if I don't remember your 'name' correctly, I believe it is Robzoloft - thank you for sharing with such honesty the things that alcohol/drugs caused you to do when you were drunk or high. It takes a strong individual to admit, no matter how hard, the terrifying things we did when we were out there. I know for this alcoholic and addict, it was a big step for me to take to admit that I did alot of things I was ashamed of. But I feel that's all apart of the healing process and to be able to begin to let go of the guilt and shame I had due to this disease. Thanks for letting me share. God Bless and may we all realize how it could have been one of us.
Old 01-30-2008, 06:57 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

thank you Stone wolf and as everyone has said horrifying, I pray he get some peace in his life, can you even imagine his recovery IF he is able to have one
Old 01-30-2008, 07:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by WLDKATZ View Post
thank you Stone wolf and as everyone has said horrifying, I pray he get some peace in his life, can you even imagine his recovery IF he is able to have one
IF THIS would not make him quit it will kill him, two choices about that. I pray for him that he will do what he can, I am in so much grief for those babies, who he as a DRUNK MAN put them down in the snow and went next door for a DRINKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK. !! Dang I am angry at alcohol. (That was a quote from his sister, he was tooo intoxicated to remember, and too much in need of a drink to care. As much as I love my Tipper, who died this week (my pup} this trumps. and I HATE what alcohol does to people;....... HOW COULD YOU FORGET YOUR ALMOST NAKED BABIES IN THE NIGHT????????? even at 40 above,.... HOW could you forget your babies. OMG that is too traagic.... I WILL NEVER DRINK AGAIN!
Old 01-30-2008, 08:14 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

It is confirmed that he was DRUNK and TOOK his children out in the cold to GO FIND A DRINK at 5:00 in the morning. He lost hold of them in his drunken state and could not find them, figured IF he got THAT ONE DRINK, he could go back to find them, but FORGOT where they where, and succumbed to his alcoholic "REST" instead. I know people at this place and have been discussing it. He should never been allowed THAT night to look after
Bhish
Old 01-30-2008, 08:53 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
where the light is

I've been following this tragedy all day (it's national news in Canada, story unfolded as the day passed). My heart is breaking for these precious little souls. They are with the Creator now.
Old 01-30-2008, 10:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

*prayers*
Old 01-31-2008, 04:05 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

But for the grace of God!! I look back on my many drunken escapades and can only say it was by the grace of God that I did not at a minimum physically hurt one of my own family or someone else. God has something in mind for me and all I can do today is stay sober and seek his will for me in my daily affairs, he may simply have me in mind to raise my family & help a few fellow alcoholics get and/or stay sober, it may be more..... more will be revealed as long as I maintain my spiritual fitness.

My prayers go out for this man and his family, I am not sure I could live with myself...... sad, so sad.

Things like this happen a lot sadly and when I was still in my bottle I would have a huge resentment against this man!! Yet now I know it is only by God's grace that I did not do something like that.

Some die so others may live, what happened I am sure will lead at least one more of us to sobriety.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:52 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Here they are, 1 year Santana and 3 years old Cadence. Poor kids.

Apparently he was a decent father (apart from the drink):

"He was a good father. He tried his best. He tried to do things for them all the time," said Mr. Crow. "He was always alone with his kids."
How horribly sad.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:41 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Attitude of Gratitude

I cannot even begin to imagine how this Father feels. Picture him sitting in a jail cell, (I'm sure they had to put him in isolation for his own protection) most likely going through severe alcohol withdrawls and having to think about what the consequences of his alcoholism has done to his two babies. I have had many things that I did when I was using that haunted me for quite some time. But, I thank God above that I never had something so horrible as this be a result of my disease. I am not defending this man, but I feel we all need to remember, that could have been any one of us. I'm sure some people reading this may think to themselves,"I have never been THAT drunk." Thank God you haven't. If you go back out, things like this happening are only one of the possibilities.I live in Dayton, Ohio and right now the lead in story on the news is the China Arnold case. This is the young Mother who is accused of microwaving her infant daughter a few years back. It took them over a year to arrest her. Her defense is that she was too drunk to possibly be capable of putting her baby in the microwave.She reportedly had a bunch of people over drinking and getting high and says it had to have been someone else.The defense attorney, from what I am reading in the papers, is now bringing in professionals to testify that she did not have the motor skills to physically do this because she was so drunk. The papers had reported at first that she supposedly said she was so drunk that she thought she was putting the babies bottle in the microwave. No matter what so called defense they use, this woman has to live with the fact that her child is dead as a result of this horrible disease. These stories have really brought so much gratitude to mind since I have heard about them. I too have had blackouts where I lost anywhere from an hour to days at a time not knowing what I did, where I was, ect. At times I wish I could remember but then I'm not so sure I want to know.I am so grateful knowing that to the best of my knowledge I never took someones life of injured them physically. I know my actions have caused alot of emotional pain to those in my life, but I cannot even imagine the guilt and shame that these two parents have to live with. The only comfort in these tragic cases is knowing that these innocent little victims of this disease are no longer being neglected, ignored or abused. They are being held in God's arms, knowing the comfort and security that they should of been able to feel on this earth. I remember the first time I was at a meeting and in closing, before the Lord's Prayer was said, the person closing added, " and let's have a moment of silence for the innocent children who are suffering as a result of this disease." I can only hope that everyone who reads this will take a moment of silence to say a Prayer asking for God to watch over the children who are still suffering. I'm sure there are more than we will ever know about.
Old 01-31-2008, 10:59 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

This is truly horrible and disturbing.
Old 01-31-2008, 07:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Bring Laughter Wherever You Go

OMG
Since reading this, it took awhile before I could type a response because I was so upset. I am so broken hearted to read about those babies. I am a new Mom and struggling to stay sober. I want the best for my daughter and can only give her that if I stay sober. I love my little baby girl more than I can express and yet, I still struggle with the drink. I didn't drink through my pregnancy and the first three months after she was born. But in the last three months (she is now 6 months) I have drank too much only a handful of times...which is a handful too many. And those times I drank, I was just as bad as I was before I got pregnant.....which was quite bad. I want to stay sober. And reading about those babies makes me so much more determined to stay sober. I never want something bad to happen to my daughter because of my drinking. I am determined to do WHATEVER it takes to stay sober!
I will say extra prayers for those babies tonight.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:59 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I get choked up every time I read this thread, and I once again have to admit that, but for the grace of God go I.