Notices

Stupid Question and Need Help

Old 01-17-2008, 05:44 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stupid Question and Need Help

I know I have to quit.

At one time had 11 years sober.

Now I don't have 11 minutes.

I know I need a meeting but how do I go there with booze on my breath. Please don't just tell me to wait until its not there any more because that's what I've been doing for a week and a half, I need some help. Are you allowed to go to AA meetings if you've been drinking? How long do you need to be sober?

Advice and Love greatly appreciated.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:01 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Telbereth,

Welcome and I am so glad you found us.

I am sure you would be welcome at an AA meeting now, if you want to stop drinking.

There is lots of support here, so keep reading and posting.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks for the Welcome Anna. Sorry to be such a basket case. From my previous time at meetings, many many years ago, I thought that there was a prohibition about someone attending who still had the smell on them. [And just like a former smoker we can smell that stuff on someone a lot longer than the average person.] I am not saying that prohibition is wrong, the last thing I would want to do would be to drag someone else down. I just need to be reminded of what is normally accepted.

Like I said, I've been up and well and the last thing I want to do is to pull someone down.

Thanks.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:10 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am not an AA person, but I think that if you went to a meeting with the right intentions, you would be welcomed.

And, of course, you are welcome here.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Anna,
Need to head out to maintain my facade but look forward to talking to you later. BTW One of my favorite people is named Anna, long story but lets just say she's one of only 2 in-laws, counting extended, who you'd want to be around for more than an hour.
So you are already all right in my book!

And more importantly...thanks for the quick response when I needed someone to listen.
Old 01-17-2008, 06:47 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Telbereth....I have never seen anyone thrown out of an AA meeting for having booze on their breath. Were you sober in AA for those 11 years?
Old 01-17-2008, 08:06 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
It`s ok to stay sober

I have heard quite a few oldtimers say they came to aa with booze on their breathe because that was the only they could make it to a meeting...go,by all means...you should be welcome..I went to a newcomers meeting tonight..a man and a woman was there- both with booze on their breath,and they both picked up white chips...
Old 01-17-2008, 09:30 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

IMHO, the best time to start the program of AA is right now. If that means you come in with alcohol on your breath so be it. What ever it takes. Alcoholism is a disease that kills way to many people. I wish you the best and hope you are able to find a solution. AA was the solution for me. I owe my life to the program quite literally.
Old 01-17-2008, 09:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

dont wait just go do it for you and know that you are welcomed and if there are some who dont like it that is THEIR program not yours!
Old 01-17-2008, 11:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi and Welcome to SR!

Hope the meeting went well.....good to see a new member with us.

Blessings as you regain your sobriety

Last edited by CarolD; 01-18-2008 at 01:20 AM.
Old 01-17-2008, 11:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think what you may be recalling is some meetings ask that if you have drank in the past 24 hours that you not share more than introducing yourself.

I hear it often.

"If you have drank in the past 24 hours we kindly ask that you please not share"

I smell booze in meetings all the time...
Old 01-18-2008, 12:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Telbereth -

The only meeting we're late for - is the first one.
Just get there.

*prayers*
Old 01-18-2008, 12:48 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, Telbereth

AA tradition #3 states:
"the only requirement for AA membership is a desire to stop drinking"

If you think you have a problem with alcohol, you are more than welcome to attend an AA meeting....sober or otherwise

I smell booze on people at some of my meetings, and it's pretty normal for a newcomer to start attending before being able to quit. Personaly, when I smell booze at an AA meeting, it helps me feel grateful for the sobriety that I've been blessed with.

At one meeting I attended a year and a half ago, a very intoxicated young man was in attendence. He sat in the circle, and shared when it was his turn. He was treated with dignity, and was welcomed into the circle. That young man got sober and is now a valuable member of the group.

Miriacles happen in the rooms of AA. Please don't miss your miriacle because you are afraid of smelling like booze... I encourage you to go to a meeting.
chip
Old 01-18-2008, 01:12 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Hi Telbereth and welcome to SR. Good for you for deciding to get sober again. You can do this. You don't have to be alone any more.

I agree. Just go.

Don't forget to make an appointment with your doctor so that you can quit safely.
Old 01-18-2008, 04:08 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Hell yea you are welcome! The first meeting I went to I was drunk as a skunk!!! I was made to feel very welcome, we are all alcoholics, what we do best is drink! I behaved myself at that meeting and had people speak to me after the meeting, but I was not ready to quit then really, I did not go to my next one for about 5 years while I was in detox.

We had a guy who came to meetings drunk all the time, he would always share how he wanted to stop but couldn't with his eyes all bloodshot, slurring his speech, reeking of booze, a group of old timers would always talk with him for a long time after meetings. Well after about 3 weeks of this I did not see him for a few weeks, then I saw him........... he had become one of many AA miracles, he was sober and looking good considering he only had a couple of weeks under his belt! The guy was grinning from ear to ear, he was finally sober and happier then a lark!

Go drunk, go sober, as long as you are not making a stink you are more then welcome in any AA meeting. The only requirement to be a member of AA is a desire to stop drinking.

If you could sober up to go to a meeting of AA there would be no need for AA in the first place.

Go to a meeting, I know for a fact that you will not be the first person to go drunk and I would bet the farm that you will not be the last!
Old 01-18-2008, 04:12 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

I heard a story just the other day that a person who had long term sobriety that had gone out had called a friend from the program and asked for a ride. She warned them that she was not sober so that the other person could bring someone with them to help keep away from the temptation themselves. I have heard it is not wise to do a 12 step call alone.
Old 01-18-2008, 07:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Thank you Everyone for your kind replies...sometimes I forget how accepting this org can be. In general I am not a mean drunk, tend to be more the counter punching poor me style, and don't get loud and obnoxious (again, in general). So the times I have wondered about going to the meeting I haven't been hammered but have been afraid. Instead I posted here or listened to the big book on CD. I know that is not as good but its a start.

Thanks for your acceptance.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:35 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Tel.......I want to reiterate the 3rd tradition. "The only requirement for AA membership is a desire to quit drinking"

AND.....we don't even check that!

Please go to a meeting.
Old 01-18-2008, 08:44 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

Telbereth,

The problem with AA is that it is made up of alcoholics, MANY of whom are still drinking.

By all means you would be welcome at any of my AA meetings if you have been drinking. In our gatherings we ask that you don't share if you have had any alcohol in the past 24 hours. Also my personal preference is that you don't throw up on the floor!!

Get to ameeting and perhaps the drinking won't continue to be a problem.

Jon
Old 01-18-2008, 09:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

It is scary that someone can be sober for 11 years and then the drink can get totally get hold of them again.

Thanks for telling Telbereth. It has helped me. I'll cherish my current sobriety at bit more, and keep the notion in mind that if I start drinking I might never be able to quit again (given me more motivation).

It is counter-intuitive. You would think if someone has deliberately stayed sober for 11 years, they could quit easy after a relapse -- Apparently not.

Anyway, best wished Telbereth, and I hope you get into a support group.