Old 01-18-2008, 09:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Glad you checked back in with us....

Keep in focus...and keep posting
Old 01-18-2008, 10:00 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

It is scary that someone can be sober for 11 years and then the drink can get totally get hold of them again.

Thanks for telling Telbereth. It has helped me. I'll cherish my current sobriety at bit more, and keep the notion in mind that if I start drinking I might never be able to quit again (given me more motivation).

It is counter-intuitive. You would think if someone has deliberately stayed sober for 11 years, they could quit easy after a relapse -- Apparently not.

Anyway, best wished Telbereth, and I hope you get into a support group.
Manchurianc this is why for me the face to face is so crucial, reading it is one thing, but to see it in someones face is quite another thing, the impact is so much deeper.

It works both ways, Telbereth will feel he is welcome back so much more when he sees it in peoples eyes and in thier smiles, and feels that firm solid handshake that says "Welcome home brother"!!!! That reassuring hug that can only be given face to face.

Welcome home Telbereth.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:18 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Manchurian,

"You would think if someone has deliberately stayed sober for 11 years, they could quit easy after a relapse.."

You know, that is exactly what I thought.

I remember being in rehab and meeting a guy who relapsed after 7 years and thinking 'what the hell was he doing', I'd never do that if I could make it that far. His fall was that NA beer stuff. My fall started with getting bumped to first class on an airplane and a glass of bailey's. It worked for a while, only drinking when I could get a free bump but bailey's soon moved to whiskey and the first class bump soon moved to any time I was out of town on business and the next thing you know here I am.

Not trying to give a testimonial; just a slight warning.
Old 01-18-2008, 10:58 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Telbereth View Post
Like I said, I've been up and well and the last thing I want to do is to pull someone down.

Thanks.
The ONLY person you are letting down is yourself...

People at AA will be happy you have come back...:ghug3

Keep posting and keep trying...

You can do this...
Old 01-19-2008, 03:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Hey Telbereth,
Like Taz I was completely zonked at my first meeting. Disruptive, too. I had to keep telling everyone I was drunk.
"Hey, I'm drunk."
"Uh, yeah... that's good. We can help."
"No, I mean, I'm reaaallly drunk!!"
"Um. Okay. Um... don't drink."
"Yeah, but I'm really, really drunk!!"
"Cool. Listen to the speaker, willya. It might help."
"Yeah, it might cause I'm drunk...."
And so on. I haven't gotten drunk since, though. Good luck. I hope you get to a meeting.
Mike
Old 01-19-2008, 04:17 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

yeah. I have to go along with Jfanagle on the whole throwing up thing...

we need you in the rooms.

You keep us sober.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:15 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Lurker

Hey Taz, I had over 2 years, and started the NA beer stuff, and then began to mix a couple "real" beers in. Just for fun. It took 8 years to get back into the rooms. I to was scared to go back into the rooms, but when I walked in there was nothing but old friends. Heck!! A girl I had know from before ran up to me and hugged me. She told me she was so happy I made it back. Do not worry about what you think others will think. Just do what you kanow is right. Hey you may get some hugs too.
Old 01-19-2008, 06:29 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

I was drunk off and on at meetings for years; I didn't know where else to go.
Old 01-19-2008, 04:47 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

This affliction can make a person nuts! I remember not too long ago standing drunk in front of a mirror just screaming for help but when I sobered up, getting help was the last thing I wanted. I guess that's just the way it works, foggy thinking, want to think clear, clear thinking, want to get foggy, baffling...Hell yeah!
I've been to meetings where the odor of alcohol was in the air, it was never mentioned out loud and nobody seemed to care. I'm sure the requirement for membership had been met. If quitting was the furthest thing from my mind, I wouldn't go party at an AA meeting
Welcome back