Notices

Fears about AA meetings

Old 01-15-2008, 04:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jadopa View Post
How hard was it for you to tell that first person? I think I might want to tell my Mom. You know a heart to heart with her. I dont talk to anyone like that, so its kind of a scary proposal. I would like to tell her that I am going to go to some meetings. That I just dont want this to get out of control. She has alot to deal with and I hate to be a burden. She thinks I have it all together. I feel like I am so blessed with my life, that I should'nt have anything to complain about. My husband loves me, my son is my life, my job is good, my friends and family are wonderful. thanks for the ear.
I had a good heart to heart with my Mom today. She had written me a letter after seeing me in so much obvious mental anguish over the Christmas Holiday. I seem to wear my heart on my sleeve. I didn't think she had a clue about addiction, depression, or anything like what I am going through right now, and figured they were just so dissapointed in what I had become, that I just kind of closed up. Suprisingly, she was addicted to smoking for several years, and as I remember back as a child, had quite a hard time quiting. Even though it's not exactly the same as alcoholism, I was able to relate to her today unlike I have been able to for the first time in as long as I can remember. Broke down a lot of barriers. I felt so good about it afterward, and she said I made her day! Said she liked feeling needed again. I say give it a shot if you haven't already. You will likely be pleasently surprised by the outcome. I was
Old 01-15-2008, 10:11 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Is the research driving the conclusion or is the conclusion driving the research?
Old 01-16-2008, 06:53 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by collinsmi View Post
Is the research driving the conclusion or is the conclusion driving the research?
I have been asking myself that same question all week long. I have a tendancy to latch on to ideas like a bulldog. I get so wrapped up in whatever I am doing. I did however, start looking for answers because I felt it was not normal to drink the amount that I do everynight. Like last night and everynight for the last 4months or so. And off and on for the last two years.
Old 01-16-2008, 07:29 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Try not drinking for 1 year. That will tell you if you have a problem.
If just the thought of not drinking scares you, you have a problem.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:47 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Or, you could try drinking 1, and only 1 glass of wine every night.

I used to think I could quit or moderate on my own (and there are people who do this), despite mounting evidence to the contrary. On occasion, with a lot of effort, I could stop after just one, but it was never something I wanted to do, I had to force myself. I could stand up to anything except temptation. Funny, I like ice cream, but I don't have any difficulty stopping after the first bowl.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:41 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Originally Posted by Zoobear View Post
Try not drinking for 1 year. That will tell you if you have a problem.
If just the thought of not drinking scares you, you have a problem.
I tried that and succeeded with the year but the obsession never left and I was miserable and insane. Once I started back drinking it quickly progressed to even worse than before I quit. For me it would be no different if I went back out drinking after this past nearly 7 years of not drinking I would quickly progress to an even worse state than I was in before.

I am thankful though that I am not miserable and insane because I utilized the program of AA this time as I knew that drinking was no longer an option for me.

But I guess if someone lost the obsession and was not miserable it might prove they did not have a problem.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:10 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Wow! I bet that was a fun year.
Glad you are with us now.