Notices

Why am I drinking?

Old 01-11-2008, 12:14 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Originally Posted by jadopa View Post
I know might sound odd, but I get a high from bad things happening to me. When everything has calmed down I feel numb again.
Being addicted to drama -- I'm sure I'm not the only one here who can relate to that. My motto used to be, "I'm going to make something happen." I couldn't accept my life as it was, or I didn't want to put in the work to make it something else, so I lived on chaos.

You can recover from this, if you want to, though I will urge again that any real recovery is going to include putting that bottle down. My strongest suggestion to you would be to pray for the willingness to be willing, and once you become willing, get on with it. AA and some outside therapy with a counselor who will help you to let go -- those things will help. Once you're willing.

Don't start to think that you can't post here while you're coming around to that willingness. Many have posted honestly and have drawn strength from the stories and sharing of others before making a decision. If you haven't started reading experiences as related by others, it might help you, especially those stories posted by folks who are now sober. It's natural for us to try to compare, but if you instead try to relate, you'll see soon enough that our stories aren't all that much different.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-14-2008, 08:07 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Good morning,

I took some advice from you guys. This weekend I tried not to drink anything. I started Friday night by getting really drunk, and to top it off driving home after that. Saturday I did not drink anything. By Sunday evening I did not have any physical withdrawl, but I really really wanted a drink. So I took a couple of shots of Brandy. I did not get a buzz though. Also I told my husband I joined this forum. He gave me the reaction that I knew I would receive. He told me that I am not an alcholic. I dont know maybe I am maybe I am not. Does anyone have any information that would be helpful to determine if you are married to an enabler. Seriously, I dont know what this means, but I have heard that often that is the case. He has a way of talking me out of my feelings, because he is very good at rationalizing. Anyways just putting it out there.
Old 01-14-2008, 08:19 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jadopa View Post
Good morning,
I took some advice from you guys. This weekend I tried not to drink anything. I started Friday night by getting really drunk, and to top it off driving home after that. Saturday I did not drink anything. By Sunday evening I did not have any physical withdrawl, but I really really wanted a drink. So I took a couple of shots of Brandy.
Doesn't sound like your attempt at not drinking went very well. I have learned to not point fingers at anyone else for my behavior.

Thank God you didn't kill anyone after "getting really drunk and then driving home". That's a heck of a way to top off a night.

This isn't your husbands deal - he may or may not be an enabler, but you are the one doing the drinking. If you want to stop, you can. There is a way. Your husband is not the reason you drank this weekend when you told yourself you weren't going to, and he can't be the reason you do or don't stop.
Old 01-14-2008, 09:18 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

The more we drink the worse it gets, it never gets better as long as we continue to drink or start drinking again.

Alcoholism kills in many ways, the worse way is to drink until the bitter end, have you ever seen anyone die from cirrosis of the liver, pancreatic cancer, kidneys shutting down, the easiest way is to die in a car accident! Of course there is always wet brain, basically you become a vegetable.

When you have had enough to drink you will want to quit no matter what your husband or any one else says.

Ask your self one real simple question........ Do people post on boards like this because they want to drink or feel drinking is doing them some good?
Old 01-14-2008, 09:31 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

You guys sound like you have heard all of this before. I appriciate the posts. I really hate the fact that I could have kill someone. My family was in a car accident that broke my dads neck, my mothers nose, sent my brother through the windshield, and put me a new born baby in the hosptial with a collasped lung. All of this was due to a drunk women driving a car. I know this story from my parents, but it doesnt feel like it could happen to me. I feel like a need a little emotional maturity. Why does honesty sting so much?