Notices

Half Way House/Sober Living House?

Old 12-23-2007, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Half Way House/Sober Living House?

Hey folks:
First of all, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all!

I have tried to stay current on the boards, but I have had some major life difficulties and stress (just saw a post "life is as it's supposed to be," so I guess mine is -- but OOH BOY! God must trust me a lot, because I have a LOT on my plate!

Question for folks -- I have a brother back East who is just having a horrible time in life. He is about to get evicted, I think he is still drinking (he is one of us, but didn't like AA because of "that God thing"), and he needs someplace to 'teach' him to live sober and responsibly.

My other brother had asked me if I know how people get into halfway or sober living houses, and I honestly don't know. I am hoping someone on the SR boards will have some idea.

I will also give my sponsor a call and maybe ask around the rooms as well...

I will try to be around more, sorry for my lack of contribution!

Ken
Old 12-23-2007, 09:07 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi ken....

The Salvation Army has excellent free programs for adults.
I'd start there .

Happy New Year and Merry Christmas to you and your family.
Old 12-23-2007, 12:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

One thing to consider..

If you go into a sober living or halfway house for an alcohol problem, they are more than likely going to require AA meetings, sponsor and step work. They tend to make sure you are doing step work, etc etc.
Old 12-23-2007, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Ken.
Long time no see

Happy safe and sober Christmas to you and yours

HUGX
Leigh
Old 12-23-2007, 01:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the info all, and again -- Merry Christmas to everyone!

Yes, I am hoping that my brother has hit a bottom and is ready to stop. I know what AA and God have done for me --

Ken
Old 12-26-2007, 09:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Salvation Army has programs in almost every major city. However, they will ram religion down your throat! In addition to rehab type treatment you will required to attend bible study groups and stuff like that. I know this from experience. I was in their program for 11 1/2 months. I only did it because I had no other options. It sucked though.

Tiburon88
In recovery since 2002
Old 12-26-2007, 10:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hi Honey
Merry Christmas and remember the 3 c's - didn't cause it, can't control it and can't cure it! and of course God trusts you! You're doing great! About your brother, good old fashioned rehab (if he has the cash) is always a great springboard but does he have the gift of desperation...otherwise it's a bit pointless whether it's rehab/halfway house, etc. You might just have to leave him til he reaches rock bottom (and hopefully does not die in the process...) and is willing to do what it takes...Ken, has he asked you to look into this, or are you doing it on his behalf...?
much love, and also hope to be in touch more
Cathy31
x
Old 12-26-2007, 11:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Retired Pro Drunk

I currently live in a sober house.

All the sober living spaces (including where I live) have weekly meeting requirements, sponsor requirements, etc.

Also, my understanding of a sober house/sober living is not to "teach" anyone anything. They are there for folks who get out of residential treatment to ease them back into their regular lives.

That said, I was in treatment for nearly 5 months (July 7 - Nov 21) and then moved into a sober house. I own a home in the same city. There's no alcohol in my house (the one I own) and the wife doesn't drink. She's also very supportive. So why live in a sober house when I can just move back home and still be in essentially the same situation?

Because I don't have any of the hassles that a husband/homeowner has right now. I go to lots of meetings and spend lots of time with friends in recovery. I don't have to concern myself with many of life's details. I'm left with little else than to focus on my recovery.

It sounds like you may be thinking a geographic change may be what your brother needs, and we all know how well those work.

Anyway, that's been my experience.