Notices

18 months!

Old 12-11-2007, 08:31 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

Smile 18 months!

Wow, the day is almost over and I just realized I almost forgot all about it. Today is 18 months since my first day of sobriety. I'm grateful for all the positive changes in my life and that of my family. Being able to come here to SR and read the struggles and triumphs of other people who really understand has been such a tremendous help. I've learned an awful lot from you guys and I'd like to thank you all again for being here and offering so much support.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Wow.......that is so great. I can't imagine almost forgetting it though. LOL
Old 12-11-2007, 08:51 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That's wonderful - big up to you on your 18 months.

Lots of love
Jackie
Old 12-11-2007, 09:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

Originally Posted by tanyapmc View Post
Wow.......that is so great. I can't imagine almost forgetting it though. LOL
Thanks! It's been a crazy day here and I've barely had time to breathe. Worked 10 hours at my day job from 7:30 to 5:30 and even worked right through lunch. Had a can of tuna at my desk at 3:30pm. Then went straight to the high school for a 2 hour Christmas concert for my son's band, then came home and had to process and ship 27 Internet orders from my home business. I'm just now finally sitting down to eat dinner in front of the computer at 11pm.
Old 12-11-2007, 09:16 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

A year and a half!! You must feel great!
Congratulations!
:HONYnewyear025firew
Old 12-11-2007, 09:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Super! Congratulations!

Old 12-11-2007, 11:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

Way to go...you are proof it can be done. Thanks
Old 12-11-2007, 11:07 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Good Work DKS!
You've inspired many of us here to seek our own roads to recovery. I hope you'll continue to share here.
chip
Old 12-12-2007, 03:38 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

That is awesome DKS, tell us how you did it.
Old 12-12-2007, 03:52 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Congratulations that's fantastic!
Old 12-12-2007, 04:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Wonderful!!

Karen
Old 12-12-2007, 04:34 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Awesome. :bounce
Old 12-12-2007, 05:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Thankful for every sober day!

CONGRATULATIONS !!
Old 12-12-2007, 06:01 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congratz 1.5! I recently celebrated the 18 month mark, (11/30), and was telling members I was now a AA toddler...lol.

Tom
Old 12-13-2007, 07:17 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
That is awesome DKS, tell us how you did it.
A couple of years ago our teenage son was seeing a therapist and it "came out" that my husband and I both had a problem with alcohol. (Actually, my husband doesn't know this, but I checked "yes" on the new patient form when the form asked if anyone in the family was abusing alcohol.) The therapist then questioned us about our alcohol use in a family therapy session and my husband and I finally admitted for the first time to an "outsider" that we had a problem. We had been seeing another therapist for a few years for our daughter and for family counseling. My son's new therapist couldn't believe that we had never told our family therapist and he said "You don't think this is significant???? You've never mentioned this to your other therapist in all the years you've been seeing her???" So we agreed to bring it up at the next visit, and she was totally shocked. She wasn't surprised about my husband at all, but she was completely shocked that I had a problem with alcohol. She couldn't believe how I managed to do all that I'd been doing and continuing to function so surprisingly well after consuming so much alcohol every single night (i.e. working all day, running a business all night and every weekend, taking care of 3 challenging children with ADHD, traveling out of town for the day job, etc, etc.)

The therapist suggested that perhaps it would be helpful to see a psychiatrist who specializes in addiction, and that perhaps there could be a prescription that might be helpful with the cravings. I made an appointment with the psychiatrist and she told me to start cutting back slowly on the alcohol (eliminating one beer per week until I made it down from a 12 pack + per night to only four per night) and then she would get me started on Campral. I tried and failed miserably at the cutting down slowly plan. In the meantime, I ordered several books on the subject from Amazon (7 weeks to Sobriety, and a few others) and then ran all over town trying to find book covers so that I could read these books at the gym, Dr waiting rooms, airplanes, etc without anyone seeing what I was reading. In retrospect, the covered books probably looked pretty conspicuous!) The next thing I did was order all of the vitamins and supplements recommended by the "7 weeks" book and I went ahead and started taking the glutamine and b vitamins that were supposed to help with craving. I saw the psych dr. again for a follow up and told her how miserably I'd failed at the plan to cut down to 4 beers per night. I did OK as long as I was allowed 9 or 10 beers per night, but could never seem to quit drinking for the night on fewer than 9 or 10 beers, and it was getting really miserable counting them and keeping track and getting to the limit and having to stop. The Dr went ahead and gave me the Campral at that visit and told me to start taking it while continuing to cut out a beer per week (instead of waiting until I was able to only drink 4 beers per night as originally planned).

I finally realized it would be easier to just stop cold turkey than to keep trying to cut down. My husband was planning to quit with me on the same day, and he wanted to get plastered at a concert on his birthday, so we both chose the Monday after his birthday as our "quit date". He ended up getting gout and was in so much pain that he actually stopped drinking 2 days before the concert. (He had gout several times before and had learned that alcohol and red meat contribute to the risk of contracting gout.) I had already gotten my mind set on quitting on the planned day (June 12 2006), so I didn't stop with him. I kept ordering drink after drink after drink at that concert and wasn't even getting a buzz. I moved on from beer to multi-shot drinks like Long Island Ice Teas, Blue Hawaiians and some other colorful concoctions that I saw other people ordering. My husband was shocked when I told him the following day how much I had actually had to drink that night (it was more than 15 drinks and many of them with several shots). He said I didn't seem drunk at all and wasn't even slurring my words, etc. (It was highly unusual for him to be totally sober when I was drinking right next to him.) The final hurrah at that concert was actually pretty disappointing and it was like I couldn't even get plastered and enjoy it. I realize now in hindsight that this disappointing last big night of drinking was an important part of my recovery. When I read about the unpredictable effects of alcohol in "Beyond the Influence", it suddenly all made sense to me, and it was downright scary.

Anyway, I quit cold turkey on Monday, the 12th of June 2006, as planned, while continuing to work full time at the day job and run the business after work. It was a truly miserable first week. I found SR in the weeks just prior to quitting and spent a LOT of time reading on here and learning as much as possible just prior to quitting, with frequent visits ever since. I ended up taking the Campral for a total of 18 months and began weaning off of it a few months ago. I took the final dose of Campral this week and am hoping the cravings don't return. I'm still taking many of the vitamins and the glutamine recommended in 7 weeks to sobriety.

Another thing that really helped was that I re-started my healthy diet and exercise program on the quit date, and that diet didn't allow any sugar at all. I'm convinced that I'm one of those people who gets the alcohol cravings set off by eating sugar and high carb foods. After starting the diet and exercise program and stopping the drinking, the weight started really dropping off, which was highly motivating as well (I dropped 55 pounds in approximately a year and have been able to keep most of the weight off.)

Although I don't go to AA meetings, I did order a copy of the Big Book after seeing so many of you recommend it. I've read most of the book and read a little more each day, and it has been really helpful in understanding this disease. The Big Book, "Beyond the Influence", and "7 weeks to sobriety" have been the 3 most helpful and enlightening books I've read so far.

Sorry for rambling so long, you're probably sorry you asked the question by now. It was therapeutic for me to think back over the past couple of years. Thanks for asking!
Old 12-13-2007, 09:17 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

Originally Posted by Signal30 View Post
Congratz 1.5! I recently celebrated the 18 month mark, (11/30), and was telling members I was now a AA toddler...lol.

Tom

Tom,

Congrats on your 1.5 years too! You and I quit drinking about the same time.
Old 12-13-2007, 10:23 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

dks,

congrats!
Old 12-13-2007, 12:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Congrats!
Old 12-13-2007, 12:37 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Congrats! 18 months is great 3 !!!