Notices

Being sober while unemployed

Old 12-07-2007, 08:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Being sober while unemployed

I lost my job about 2 weeks ago, I recieved my first unemployment check and this sucks, IN alot of ways I feel like a failure but the temptation to drink isnt too bad. I am searching on the internet every day and going to different businesses, but no luck so far, I have had 2 interviews which I was turned down. When I quit drinking two and a half years ago I was unemployed then too. Maybe I am just feeling down on myself but I am bored. I have gone to a few meetings and will continue but I have to save on gas. I know not a excuse but I go when I can and it does help. I would like to go back to college and finish my degree but I dont have the money and my credit is really bad. But I am not going to let this make me take that first drink. I know I am better off now then when I was. Sorry just venting a bit.
Old 12-07-2007, 08:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...it's a bad time to look for a job.

At least you do have un employment coming in
and your sober! 2 blessings I think!

Good to see you here again!
Old 12-07-2007, 08:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi,

I can identify with you. I lost my job last May. Thankfully, I received unemployment. During that time I tried to do exactly what you are doing, and I think it was my HP leading me down a path which enabled me to work hard on my recovery.

Why not focus on your recovery until you find something? Can you carpool to meetings with someone? Use this time to really figure out what you want out of life..try to keep it a positive experience. I know its hard..

Good luck!

Karen
Old 12-07-2007, 08:37 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

that is what I am going to do, work more on my recovery. I want to be stronger in it and I know I have slacked off quite a bit lately. I guess it would allso be a good time to work on my steps again.
Old 12-07-2007, 09:39 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

RU4 =

Something i learned a log time ago.
When you don't have a job -
looking for a job ... becomes your job.
It's hard, I know.
And you think if you fill out one more application your hand is going to snap off... truly we understand.
It's all in the discipline.
I like your idea of hitting as many meetings as possible.
And the keeping of recovery in the front of all things.

That's the way to start.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

I am on my second period of unemployment in sobriety. What it has taught me is to trust in my HP that if I put one foot in front of the other everything will work out. Also to see it as an opportunity to pursue new opportunities. I am currently back in school going from 20 some years of nursing to pursuing a degree in wildlife or oceanic biology. I had to give up nursing due to a back injury. Yes, there have been tough times and I am sure they are not over. But I have no doubt I will be okay. Take care.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:32 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been thinking of switching careers for quite awhile myself, I have been in retail most of my life and I am tired of it. I have started the steps in going back to school myself. and I know I need to do what ever my HP suggests because I believe he/she will do whats best for me.
Old 12-07-2007, 10:46 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

rU4-

I think that's a very good attitude to have!
Old 12-07-2007, 11:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up Unemployed while first sober...

Hi Ru4,

I had one of my goals at in-patient treatment to go back to college but was told that wasn't a good goal....to hard since I had abused alcohol so long.

I had a part time job and worked my program of AA the first year of my sobriety. The second year I did go back to college and got my BA Degree in Psychology. I was eligible for the Pell Grant & it paid for my tuition and books. I didn't take any school loans even though I was eligible because I didn't want a big debt when I finished college.

I was on the Dean's list every sememster and that was on my transcript...I was so proud of that. I guess I didn't kill all of the important brain cells with my drinking. I kept on with my AA Meetings mostly three times a week while going to college and working half time. I just love being sober and feel good about what I have accomplished.

I got a good job at the County Mental Health Program and life just kept getting better...I still had to struggle with my depression but I made it okay.

I wanted to be sober and have a better life more than anything else in the world and I worked hard to get it with all the help from others urging me along.

Kelsh
Old 12-13-2007, 02:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

well no more unemployment for me. I just got a job offer that pays almost double then what I was being paid. all I have to do is pass background check and drug test, which I should do with flying colors. My day started out bad and is ending very good. So Sobriety ROCKS.
Old 12-13-2007, 03:42 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

What good news!

Blessings