Notices

Gamma GT - 650! Help!

Old 11-26-2007, 07:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Still Sober

Gamma GT - 650! Help!

I have just fallen off the wagon after a weeks sobriety, and just got my doctors results through, and my Gamma GT level is 650 compared to 125 last time. I am really worried and that only makes wanting a drink more, I guess thats how stupid drinking is, and how strong cravings can be. Is it really a bad sign of my liver failing or can it be repaired? Please, if anyone has any info they can share, let me know....thanks in advance .....EyeCeyE
Old 11-26-2007, 07:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

You really need to take your concerns to your doctor.
We are not medical professionals and no one here can
give medical advice.

I can tell you that alcohol will cause many many health
problems....sometimes quickly...sometimes slowly.

The best way to prevent and perhaps improve them is absteince.

So....what are you planning to do to get and stay sober?

Welcome to SR!
Old 11-26-2007, 07:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi again...

Here is a link full of information on alcoholism
it's from the book that convinced me to quit

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

I do hope it will help you too.
Old 11-26-2007, 07:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

As Carol explained, we are not doctors, I have no idea what those enzyme levels indicate, you really need to do 2 things number one is to stop drinking!

Number 2 is to talk to your doctor.

I was diagnosed with a fatty liver which is the precursor to cirrosis of the liver.

If you have a fatty liver the damge done is reversable by TOTAL abstinance from alcohol.

If you have cirrosis of the liver the damage done can not be reversed, but any further damage can be prevented by TOTAL abstinance from alcohol.

I had to do a lot of work to get a fatty liver, a lot of 12 ounce curls and trips to the store. I had to do a lot of work to not drink, the great thing for me is after doing that work I lost the need/urge to drink and am happier then I have been in many years. What kind of work did I do to get those results? I worked and now continue to live and work 12 simple steps.

BTW my fatty liver after 90 days of TOTAL abstinance from alcohol fully reversed the damage I had done to it.

You are at a crossroads, drink and die or stop and live!
Old 11-26-2007, 11:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Unhappy Liver problems...

Hi EyeCeyE, :morning

I can only say from my own experience. My liver was damaged some but did a complete reversal after I quit drinking. I just had labs done a while back and liver enzymes were very good.

My other experience was working in hospitals and nursing homes with people that had cirrosis of the liver and the awful weeks before their death. It is one of the worst deaths to suffer. This one man had quit drinking for a while but it wasn't soon enough. He went into a coma but his heart was strong and kept on beating until the rest of his body shut down. :praying

Now is the time to talk serious stuff with your doc and think about how you will detox depending on how much you have been drinking. Most docs are very willing to help a person that is serious about quitting drinking. In a lot of cases it is serious business and needs a doctors help for detox...doing it cold-turkey like some do...could lead to death if you were drinking a lot up to when you decide to quit. This is my own personal experience...I am not a doctor!

kelsh
Old 02-15-2008, 01:12 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Still Sober

Thank you everyone for your kind replies, just to let you all know, my liver has now returned to normal levels. So all was not lost, I was lucky!

Thanks again, and I am still sober, despite some sleep problems, and anxiety, everything is back to normal

EyeCeyE
Old 02-15-2008, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Naturally Occuring Phenomenon

thats good to news to know. Worry and stress will cause one to drink, keep on with the soberness.