Notices

Hey, Hi, hello there!

Old 11-19-2007, 12:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
RobSellsWheels

Cool Hey, Hi, hello there!

What's up ALL?! Nothing here, just new to this whole Sober Recovery thing. Basically here because I'm trying to get my drinking under control or just kick the nasty habit all together. I'm here because after a long night of drinking I was "allegedly" found passed out on the sidewalk about 20 yards from a local bar. Do I deny it, no. It is highly possible that I had too much to drink, staggered outside for some fresh air and fell asleep. I am a professional from 8am-6pm, like many of you I'm sure, and don't like the Monster I become when I drink too much. He even has a name, if that isn't scary, I don't know what is. But yea, I guess I'm reaching out for support n' what not. I've tried going to AA but I leave there filling so guilty about drinking. I mean there's people there with 15 years sober, I must look like a vilan! A little more about me; custom wheel salesman, moved from Chicago to Cali 6 months ago, I've got no friends or family here, just my employees and it's taken a little toll on me. What really SUCKS is being away from everyone over the Holidays.... Enough tears from me for now...

Thank you & Best Regards,

Rob U.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Rob and welcome to SR!

great to see you looking for answers .

cant remember the places I was found lying LOL and there was no "allegedly" for me I WAS there !

The guilt you felt when attending AA is a normal reaction to "the night before", weather you go to AA or not .

How well I remember the guilt and remorse every morning, and the promises I made to myself and others that "I would never drink again"! yeah ! Right! BUT I am an Alcoholic , and as such, did not have the choice to drink or not when I was active .

It is a progressive disease, and it progressed over a period of 37 years , until I was a shell.

I never lost a job, or went to jail, only 1 DUI, looked OK from the outside , but it was what it did to my soul that finally caused me to throw in the towel.

Eventually I ended up a wreck inside, I was numb, and empty, just struggling thru each day .

I found AA, and kept going back, listening, and trying to do the suggested things , I did it because I had the gift of desperation, I had no other choice except to top myself, and I was too much of a coward for that .

What a Blessing it is to wake each morning with NOTHING in my head except anticipation and hope for the day ahead . no more struggles about "wil I or wont I drink" it is no longer part of my life .

You too, can have this freedom, if you are willing to go to any lengths to achieve it .

I wish you well

HUGX
Leigh
Old 11-19-2007, 12:39 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome... I'm an alcoholic. It runs in my family, my uncle died after he finished a night of drinking, decided to walk home wasted, "passed out" in the snow and they found him frozen to death the next morning...

I'm a professional, suit wearing, sports car driving over-achiever... Only those close to me know of my struggle with alcohol. My life appears beyond perfect to those on the outside.

Glad you're here.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to our recovery community, I'm glad that you found us and that you are looking for a better way of life.

BTW, in AA, Newcomers are very important, and not at all 'villains' - some say they are the most important people there. I hope you decide to go back. I owe my life and my sobriety to Alcoholics Anonymous.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:45 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Rob,

Welcome and I am glad you're seeking answers to your problems. All of us in recovery are on this road together, and you're never a villain. Some of us are at different places on the road, that's all. We're here to help each other and help ourselves. And a major move like that can be very upsetting. You'll get to know more people as time goes by. Have you joined any kinds of sports or other activities since you moved? Another thing, if you are alone on the Holidays, think about going to a local Homeless Shelter and helping to serve food. They can always use help at this time of the year and you will feel so good doing this.
Old 11-19-2007, 01:08 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome to sr...

Looking forward to seeing more of you here...:comfort
Old 11-19-2007, 01:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Rob,plenty of support for you on here.Maybe go back and try AA again,if i was lonely i think i would find it hard to abstain.Crashed out many a time in my younger days,and spent a few nights in the cells.Woke up in all sorts of strange places and considering i lived in a rough part of East London managed to get away with it.Keep posting and best wishes.
Old 11-19-2007, 02:44 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Rob...
I suggest you read this link for information

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

Blackouts are discussed on #34

Welcome to SR!