Notices

Relapse And Shame

Old 11-04-2007, 01:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Relapse And Shame

Hi all

I was clean for two months up until last week Friday.

Stupidly, Idiotically I decided to drink. I drank. At work. I surmise like most of you, alcohol changes who you are. It turns you into a person you would no longer recognise.

So I say with great shame, that with 3/4 of a bottle of vodka under my belt I stole $50 from a colleague. We were moving desks and two girls asked me to mind their bags for them. I went through both their wallets and stole 50 from one. I can't remember whose it was. I am sure that I made a messy job of it - I don't remember much of it at all. I also suspect I left a bottle of vodka behind at work. I don't know what I am going to walk into tomorrow. My stomach has been in knots all weekend and I bear such shame within myself, my heart pumping madly. What am I going to do? I left early so I have no idea of what happened after I left the premises. Noone has contacted me over the weekend but it is a relatively new job and I am not sure that anyone would have my number. What do I say? What do I do? I am planning to plant the $50 back in the cabinet to make it look as though she dropped it but I am sure that the girls would know.

Does anyone have any advice?

Not normally a believer I have been praying all weekend for forgiveness and for understanding. It's tearing me apart as to what I have done.

I just feel so ashamed.:sorry
Old 11-04-2007, 02:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Big mess for sure....
ans Yes prayer helps me immensley.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:27 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

That is quite messy BUT if it was me I would try to put it in perspective, and drinking turns me into someone else too so I know the feelings of shame and remorse, you didnt kill anyone and as long as you get the money back somehow the only person you have hurt is you.

It's another reason to not drink, just add it to the list.

You might have to be prepared to fess up tomorrow.
Old 11-04-2007, 02:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Advice? Pay the money back. Take the heat, learn the lesson, quit drinking, and get yourself into some kind of recovery that involves more than just quitting the alcohol.

FWIW, alot of us only used to pray when we were in trouble too. Alot of folks are non-believers until we ourselves into a jam.

This will require more than praying though, it will also take some work on your part.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Doug is 100% right!
Like Scooby Doo You got some work to do now.
Old 11-04-2007, 07:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Yup, what Doug said.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:33 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aspiresobriety View Post
Not normally a believer I have been praying all weekend for forgiveness and for understanding. It's tearing me apart as to what I have done.
$50 is a goodly sum of money. Surely there's been word out that someone is missing it. If so, give it back...straight up. Face to face and get on your knees if need be.

As far as praying, I've found it works better to pray before the dastardly dead and not after. Kind of like taking that next drink. Better to call my sponsor before I drink instead of after.
Old 11-13-2007, 04:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JRock

The problem isn't the alcohol, it is my selfishness and self-centeredness. The steps have provided me a way of treating this, as well as cleaning up my past, and the things I did. I also have done things sober which were exactly like the things I did when I was drinking. I am so thankful for good sponsorship, of those who have been through the process and have been able to help me find out what the real problem is.
Old 11-16-2007, 05:14 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Aspiretosobreity,

How did you make out?
Old 11-17-2007, 05:48 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Lurker

you mention the steps. if you have been through them you know what to do.
Old 11-17-2007, 05:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I have stolen off of people before when i was younger. I believe that for your own sake that you should be completely honest with the girl and tell her about what is going on with you. Tell her that you apologize and this will consist of an early ammends for you. From what you have posted im sure they know. But something important that you realize is that it was not you who did this but your disease. Honesty is the best medicine and even though you have lost her trust and it may take a long time to regain if ever. It can be done, but acting as though you never stole it you are lying to her again and yourself. Sorry if im sounding blunt, thats not my intention. I was just expressing my sentiments and i hope that i was of some help for you. Good Luck