Notices

I'llearnsomeday

Old 09-19-2007, 05:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I'llearnsomeday

Hi I'm Rob.
I'm 28 years ol, excuse me. 3 days old.
I finally went to a meeting today and I do have a sponsor who is there for me. My fiance left me because of my drinking. She's the third one to do so. All of this happened after I took a dirtbike off of a 30ft cliff where I broke 6 bones on the left side of my face and burned half of my neck off all the way to my shoulder, and tore all the ligaments out of my left shoulder.

I've been drunk for three weeks up until Monday. I was brok. I think that's why I quit. I could've found a way I guess, but I'm sick of oweing people money. I wanted to try something different. Every time A women left me because of my drinking, I just whooped it up until I found my next ex. Doesn't take long for someone to see the real me after a few brewskis.

I did a tenth step today at the meeting. It was right in time. I need to do a personal inventory daily. It's one of those steps that you don't need to have done the rest in order to do.

This is the first time I'm trying this on my own without someone else in my life telling me to. Might be because there's noone left in my life, might be because this time I truly want it. either way. I'm reading alot about this disease and talking to alot of people in recovery now.

I really want this and like the BB says, I'm willing to go to any length to get it. I should be dead by now
Someone has been looking out for me my whole life. It's about time I start to look after myself.

Thanks for reading this
Old 09-19-2007, 05:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you here with us in Alcoholism

Keep in focus...you too can have a healthy sober future.
Old 09-19-2007, 06:28 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Welcome!!! Good for you and I'm glad that you are here.

Karen
Old 09-19-2007, 09:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR.. I was hesitant about signing up here, but when I did I realized there were so many wonderful people who actually care for me.. Like I always say, We're in this together, and we'll get out together.. within time.. Best of luck in your recovery!!
Old 09-20-2007, 12:39 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

welcome!
Old 09-20-2007, 03:54 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Welcome to SR Rob, I am Martin an alcoholic, when I got my first sponsor he told me among other things to try to live steps 10-12 to the best of my ability because it would make my steps 4 & 5 shorter!

If you are like me you will have your sponsor make some suggestions that seem pretty stupid at first, but with time I found that if I followed his suggestions things started to get better and then suddenly I understood what he had suggested and realized it was not stupid at all.

Rob continue to be willing, be open minded, drop any prejudices you have, take the actions needed to recover, do not try & rush things, it tool me a whole year to get a years worth of sobriety, working the steps & trying my best to live them helped me last that year and become a much better person.

Congrats on day 4!!! That is big, every 24 hours is big!
Old 09-20-2007, 04:12 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Hey and welcome Rob,

Congratulations on making the choice to change. I think you are right to start working on the tenth step every day even before you've done all the previous steps. It's not too soon to prevent further damage.

Originally Posted by Tazman53 View Post
it took me a whole year to get a years worth of sobriety, working the steps & trying my best to live them
Taz really said it there. I wanted to be completely healed the minute I stopped drinking but in my experience, it doesn't work that way. The healing comes in stages. One the first experienced guys I got to know in A.A. liked to say "If you want what we have, would you for God's sakes do what we did to get it."

Stay the course, it gets better every day (even on the days when it doesn't seem like it's getting better.)
Old 09-20-2007, 04:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

"If you want what we have, would you for God's sakes do what we did to get it."
Oh I love that!!!! Thanks for sharing that, in the rooms I have heard many times that there is nothing original said, it has all been said before, but if you want it to be yours just share it 4 times & it is! LOL

It's MINE!!!! ALL MINE!!!!! LOL
Old 09-22-2007, 08:59 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by rloomer View Post
Hi I'm Rob.
I'm 28 years ol, excuse me. 3 days old.
I finally went to a meeting today and I do have a sponsor who is there for me. My fiance left me because of my drinking. She's the third one to do so. All of this happened after I took a dirtbike off of a 30ft cliff where I broke 6 bones on the left side of my face and burned half of my neck off all the way to my shoulder, and tore all the ligaments out of my left shoulder.

I've been drunk for three weeks up until Monday. I was brok. I think that's why I quit. I could've found a way I guess, but I'm sick of oweing people money. I wanted to try something different. Every time A women left me because of my drinking, I just whooped it up until I found my next ex. Doesn't take long for someone to see the real me after a few brewskis.

I did a tenth step today at the meeting. It was right in time. I need to do a personal inventory daily. It's one of those steps that you don't need to have done the rest in order to do.

This is the first time I'm trying this on my own without someone else in my life telling me to. Might be because there's noone left in my life, might be because this time I truly want it. either way. I'm reading alot about this disease and talking to alot of people in recovery now.

I really want this and like the BB says, I'm willing to go to any length to get it. I should be dead by now
Someone has been looking out for me my whole life. It's about time I start to look after myself.

Thanks for reading this

I gotta tell ya,.....you sound like you got it!! Doesnt matter what it took to get you there,...you sound like you have the stuff that you need deep down to do this. You want it. Thats the key, my friend. You could have all the court orders, nagging spouses, broken bones, third degree burns, embarrassing YouTube videos, and more DUI's that Lindsey Lohan can shake a margarita at........if you dont also want it,...you wont get it. You sound like you have the first and most important tool in the toolbox. DESIRE. Good for you! You can do this. You will do this!!! And WE are here to help in any way we can. God Bless.
Old 09-22-2007, 09:49 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

rloomer

Welcome...glad you are here.

It is important to do this deal for oneself...and it sounds like you are willing to make the changes ...Good for you!!!
pls keep us posted on how you are doing.