Notices

The Recovery Book

Old 09-02-2007, 08:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

The Recovery Book

I found this to be an excellent practical sort of reference book on alcoholism, addiction and especially recovery.

It was suggested that I start a new thread so that this info is available to everyone.

(only my personal reccommendation)

Ted

The Recovery Book (Paperback)
by Arlene Eisenberg (Author), Howard Eisenberg (Author), 1992

From Library Journal
Addressed primarily to recovering addicts and their families, this book relies heavily on the Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) game plan for success. The question-and-answer format is conducive to a personalized approach and will appeal to the individual struggling to make progress on the road to recovery. Beginning with "First Step: Deciding to Quit," the book offers guidelines and encouragement and outlines the pitfalls and challenges that each addict must face and overcome. The detox process is graphically described, and the authors emphasize the hard work needed to maintain sobriety. The last part of the book is devoted to recommendations for rebuilding and restructuring one's life with the help of AA. For self-help collections.
- Carol R. Glatt, VA Medical Ctr. Lib., Philadelphia
Copyright 1992 Reed Business Information, Inc.

Book Description
A unique collaboration between Dr. Al Mooney, head of the Willingway Hospital, Arlene Eisenberg, coauthor of the What to Expect books, and medical journalist Howard Eisenberg, The Recovery Bookis the first book to explain exactly what a recovering addict and his or her family will face during every stage of living clean and sober.

The authors provide a wealth of information on in- and out-patient services, support groups, family relationships, temptations, and worries. Hundreds of questions and answers address every particular of what a person in recovery can expect, from mental and physical health concerns to why a former cocaine addict should not use Windex.

What withdrawal is like. When the euphoria of not drinking wanes. Feeling uncomfortable at AA. Regaining trust. Sleep problems. What to tell co-workers. Twenty ways to dump depression and anxiety. Making and using leisure time. Learning what normal is. From detox to the three phases of recovery--Saving Your Life, Enriching Your Life, Prolonging Your Life--The Recovery Book leads addicts through recovery's highs, lows, pitfalls, and challenges. Includes sections on AA and other support groups, exercise, health, the Clean and Sober Recovery Diet, and quitting smoking. First prize winner of the 1993 Markie Award, sponsored by the National Foundation for Alcoholism and Addiction Communication (NFAAC). Over 209,000 copies in print.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

That sounds excellent Ted!

Thanks for sharing it.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

For you stone...

What is it with you and Ganesha anyway?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
EleGod.jpg (5.3 KB, 773 views)
Old 09-02-2007, 08:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks Ted! I have saved the pic

I am just trying to look spiritual and deep mate.
Old 09-02-2007, 08:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Good one, Tedifer. Sounds as though there is needed advice on some aspects of getting sober. Will add it to my books-to-be-acquired list. -M
Old 09-02-2007, 09:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was joking btw, I am spiritual and deep. Also modest.
Old 09-02-2007, 09:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

I think that most of us are very spiritual, I know I have been seeking my whole life...
Old 09-02-2007, 09:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Dopey slogan time....

Religion is for those scared of going to hell, spirituality is for those who have been there.

I think thats the quote anyway.
I was interested in buddhism and meditation anyway and I find it fits the 12 step program too now.
Old 09-02-2007, 04:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by stone View Post
Religion is for those scared of going to hell, spirituality is for those who have been there.

I think thats the quote anyway.
I was interested in buddhism and meditation anyway and I find it fits the 12 step program too now.
Ha! I was interested in Hindu thinking and practices and meditation anyway, and noticed the same thing... 11th step... "sought through prayer and meditation to improve our conscious contact..." Yup.
Old 09-03-2007, 08:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks for the recommendation Groucho, just ordered some books on alcoholism, looks like I'll have to make a new list for my next order!