Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Did any of you like the taste of alcoholic drinks?

Notices

Old 08-13-2007, 09:10 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

A question that I've been pondering today. Did any of you actually like the taste of alcoholic drinks? I've always loathed them which is ironic given the thousands of gallons of them I've poured into my system.

Beer is OK, nothing special; wine is foul, and spirits revolting beyond words. (Alcohol free vodka, anyone? - for those newly sober people who miss that great taste?. No, me neither.)

For pure flavour you can't beat unadulterated natural fresh fruit flavours. All the fuss made by wine buffs, Jees, if it didn't have alcohol in it everyone would chuck stuff that tastes as nasty as that down the sink. It just amazes me how much of my life I've spent swallowing stuff I don't like the taste of. I know the taste isn't our primary concern when we're drinking alcohol, but it still amazes me.

Maybe a lot of you liked the taste. I didn't. Any thought?

Bananaman
Old 08-13-2007, 09:20 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I've always heard that if something is an "acquired taste," that means it takes awhile to get past the nastiness of it & learn to like it.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 08-13-2007, 09:39 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I started taking sips of my parents beers when I was in my early teens, tried wine and champagne too. LOVED IT!! And over the next 27 years I grew to love pretty much every liquor. My ex was a wine buff. I don't think she was too amused with me chugging wine out of a gallon jug or a big box.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I had my first drink of beer from a keg when I was four and I loved it the taste the smell the way it looked I love the taste of wine.I didnt like scotch.But other than that I never had drink I didnt like.It always tasted better going down than coming up though.My girlfreind when I was 15 was the first person to tell me I had a problem.I drank a fifth of jack that night she saw the monster taking shape looking back she pretty smart girl to get away from me.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

I almost never drank anything mixed. Not for over 25 years. Single malt scotch, high end gin, vodka, certainly Canadian Club (good blended whiskey), even high end tequila. Always drank it all on the rocks, or better yet whiskey neat. I still miss that first sip of whiskey and the Smokey taste.

Used to say that alcohol abuse was adding water. I was born to the bottle. Just can't figure out why it turned on me with all the love I showed it!!
Old 08-13-2007, 10:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I had my first sip of beer when I was around four (like baggervance) and my my Mom used to make me hot milk and brandy when I couldn't sleep, starting around that same age. I've always liked the taste of alcohol. It's comforting to me, reminds me of happy times with my Mom & Papa.
Old 08-13-2007, 10:58 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

oh i defintely do!! but i dont savor my wine like real wine conniseurs do, i chug it... the funny thing is at Kroger i saw a NA wine and you wont see me buying any of that nor the NA beer....so funny, i once heard a person say in a meeting he used to drink 18 beers because he liked the taste of it, but he also liked the taste of soda too and he would never think to drink 18 sodas in one sitting!! its crzy how something so small can have so much control over us, its usually in a rocks glass or in a bottle but man you would think it was the fountain of youth or something with the way i cherished it!
Old 08-13-2007, 11:08 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I hateeeee it. Beer is tolerable but not great enough to drink as refreshment, some realllllly sweet fruity wines are ok-ish...but all I drank was vodka and it tastes like rubbing alcohol. I spent all my time trying to figure out the way to get the most alcohol with the least alcohol taste. You'd think if something tasted so bad I wouldn't drink so much of it...go figure.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:40 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

With the exception of wine and a few liquors, I really enjoy the taste of everything that I would drink (well, at least at the beginning of the night when I could remember it).

Like some others I had my first taste of beer when I was young and I've loved it ever since.
Old 08-13-2007, 11:57 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes... I did like some drinks more than others
but in a pinch
I would drink whatever was there.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Oh yeah ! You can't beat cheap, warm vodka that's been siitting in your trunk all day. Yum !!!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 12:32 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
1 bite&all resistance crumbles

Hated the taste - had to always mix with soft drinks - even wine. Vile!!!!!!!!!!
LOL! Thank God I am spared from that insanity today - warm vodka, I remember well!!!!!!!
Old 08-13-2007, 02:09 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I like the taste of most things alcoholic, I like the smell of wine, beer, nothing like it on a hot summer day. Hot vodka from the trunk, YUCK, what kind of person could drink that (shut up, mirror, no one was asking you).

S
Old 08-13-2007, 02:12 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Originally Posted by Steve58 View Post
Hot vodka from the trunk, YUCK, what kind of person could drink that
Same guy that would drink warm beer just for the effect. Oh, that would be me;-)
Old 08-13-2007, 02:21 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Its_me_jen

I liked the taste of pretty much all of it, except for gin. After enough though, I would drink anything.

How about hot, old beer? You know, the left over that's been sitting in your trunk in the summer for the last week. Mmmmmm.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:23 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Yes I liked the taste of some of it but in the end it was quantity over quality every time and no bottle of wine ever celebrated a birthday at my house.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

No not a one.I drank to get drunk,no matter how much i disliked the taste.I wanted the affects,the feeling.And wanted the change,of feeling/thinking differently than i was.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:43 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

dont get me started. I LOVED the taste of fine burgundy
Old 08-13-2007, 04:05 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No, i actaully hate the tastes of alcohol. Only the first drink tasted sweet
becuase of the suger after a hard day work, then i feel that burning sensation
in my tummy. I hate drinking beer becuase after it gets started it won't
stop...I have to go pee..pee, pee.
mmm. a direct corrolation in conjuntion, becuase after it gets started
i can't stop. i keep going insane, insane, and more insane.

Then i get to a piont of drinking 151 on the rocks..mmm the hell with it,
why even bother putting it in ice. Instant black out or into the twighlite
zone. Why ?...will, when i get to that piont without even realizing it.
I kinda mess up and cuase some seriouse wreckage...i don't wanna see.
i can't put it out sight becuase my life is right in front of me. So I do
the next crazy thing...i put myself out of my mind.lol

i can relate to that
one is too many and a thousand is enough never enough.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:08 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I have become one of those who have an "acquired taste,"...

In my defense.. In CA, there are wineries to tour.. of course when people come to town...we had to go! (yum, can anyone say SAMPLE).. that is where my “acquired taste” came from.. I have tried the NA wine. It’s no comparison... its a shame, as I wouldn’t mind missing the alcohol.. just a glass with dinner & company would be nice.. (sigh..)