Notices

How has sobriety improved your life?

Old 08-30-2007, 10:46 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

It's interesting how much time and energy I spent trying to control my drinking. I now realize I have no control over my drinking...after I take the first drink. When I'm sober, I have control over my actions. I can take action to avoid alcohol, and keep my life on the right track.

I am powerless over alcohol, once it's in my system.

By staying sober, and not having the first drink, I've been given a certain amount of power. In sobriety I have the power of choice. I can choose an abundant life.

How important is sobriety to you?

For me, it is the #1 priority in my life. All things that are important to me depend on my sobriety.
chip
Old 08-30-2007, 10:53 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

#1 priority at the center of this universe, as well, Chip!
(just because I'm sober, doesn't mean it isn't still all about ME!)

also -

****** Stobert!}}} long time no type to, or read from! welcome back!
Old 08-30-2007, 11:06 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Like the others have shared...there's not a single aspect of life that not a great improvement.
Old 08-31-2007, 06:24 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
body ~ mind ~ spirit

I quit drinking a few years ago now, and still my life gets better ... in every way ... every day ... there are life's ups and downs, but my life always gets better

I hope that everyone who finds alcohol a challenge in their life finds peace with alcohol as I have ... but the first thing always is to not drink that first drink ... always

Now I live life, I cry and I laugh and I learn and remember

I share my life with other people, that is the best thing ever!
Old 08-31-2007, 07:26 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Another Day in Paradise

I don't know if anyone else felt as though they could NEVER overcome their addiction to alcohol? I certainly did!

After a few years of sobriety I have discovered that I have and can continue to beat the booze with proper attention to AA and the help of that power greater than myself. Because of this I now KNOW WITH CERTAINTY that if I can beat this there is NOTHING that I can not overcome with work and perseverance. I have been given the keys to the kingdom.

There have been some very powerful challenges in sobriety, but since I knew I was ahead of the alcohol, I could deal with these problems as well. Few "regular" people ever have this gift laid at their feet, so they have to wonder if they have the strength to face life’s problems. As a grateful alcoholic I KNOW I CAN.

Jon
Old 08-31-2007, 07:31 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Originally Posted by Jfanagle View Post
I don't know if anyone else felt as though they could NEVER overcome their addiction to alcohol? I certainly did!

After a few years of sobriety I have discovered that I have and can continue to beat the booze with proper attention to AA and the help of that power greater than myself. Because of this I now KNOW WITH CERTAINTY that if I can beat this there is NOTHING that I can not overcome with work and perseverance. I have been given the keys to the kingdom.

There have been some very powerful challenges in sobriety, but since I knew I was ahead of the alcohol, I could deal with these problems as well. Few "regular" people ever have this gift laid at their feet, so they have to wonder if they have the strength to face life’s problems. As a grateful alcoholic I KNOW I CAN.

Jon
Jon I am coming up on 1 year next month and I know where you are coming from, those who have not recovered "from a seemingly hopeless state of mind and body" really have no idea what we have gained through AA.
Old 08-31-2007, 08:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

There are more benefits than I could ever list, but the following are the biggest improvements for me and my family:

-- Our family life is peaceful and now. (My husband and I used to fight all the time and it was terrible for both of us to be that angry and chewed up inside all the time). Our three teenagers are getting along better with us and with each other.

-- I've lost 55 pounds and feel and look great. Quite often, people who haven't seen me in a while don't even recognize me.

-- After years of chronic health problems, I'm healthier now than I've been in ages. I have battled osteoarthritis, frequent sinus infections, bronchitis, pneumonia, asthma, allergies, reflux, sleep apnea, sleep disorders, irritable bowel syndrome and more. Although not all of these problems are totally gone, many of them are gone and the rest have all been reduced in severity and frequency. A year ago, I was on 15 different prescription medications. Today I am down to five.

-- I have more energy and am better able to focus at work
Old 09-01-2007, 10:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the posts folks!

Tonight I was thinking about the past 2 years. Two years ago today, I was still drinking. I was full of fear and anxiety. A year ago, I was at the 11 month mark without a drink. Things were much better then. I wasn't as full of fear as I was. This year, I am really much, much more at peace. Today, I feel like I can be at peace and find place of comfort with my HP.

I can really see a remarkable improvement in my life in the 23 months I've gone without a drink. Most of the improvement is packed into 20 months I've had clean and sober. I was one of these people who smoked pot for a bit after quitting drinking. It didn't work ;-)

Any way, the main point I want to get across is that I've seen remarkable progress in my life. It just keeps getting better and better....

Rough periods will always happen, but the ride is much smoother.
peace out,
chip