Notices

Hi I'm new and scared

Old 09-01-2007, 01:51 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi I'm new and scared

I decided to try this before I actually went to an AA meeting..I'm pretty sure I've become and alcoholic. I am self distructing because of it..I drink all the time..And when I do I get loaded out of my mind..I drive drunk , spend bill money on booze..I don't even get hangovers ever and if I did, I would just crack a beer to cure it..I dont know what to do..I'm scared and alone and feel so bad about myself
Old 09-01-2007, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Smile Hi and welcome.

This is a good place to start. I know exactly how you feel. My drinking was just like yours at one point. And I think your idea about going to an AA meeting is a good one.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:00 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

thanks , maybe I will look into one around here
Old 09-01-2007, 02:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome Navygirl. If you dont know what to do then you made a good start on doing something by coming here.
Have a read and keep posting.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:01 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Smile

Do you know how to find one?
Old 09-01-2007, 02:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome. If you feel powerless over alcohol, and it has made your life unmanageable, (the 1st step), then I suggest you try an AA meeting. This is a fantastic site where we can all share experience, strength, and hope. If you are an alcoholic and are truly ready to quit drinking, you have to be willing, and ready to go to any lengths to achieve sobriety.

Again I personally suggest trying an AA meeting. Better yet, go to one, and then come back and let us know how it went. This is a great site, however, (and mind you this is only my opinion), I know that I wouldn't of been able to get sober with just searching around online for help and answers. For me I needed to get into action. Alcoholism is a potentially fatal disease, and working (for me AA), for sobriety was required, to reverse the death sentence I was facing.

Tom
Old 09-01-2007, 02:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

no i'm in canada i suppose i could just look it up online
Old 09-01-2007, 02:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Smile

http://www.aacanada.com/

Here you go. I definitely encourage you to go. I believe it literally saved my life.
Old 09-01-2007, 03:11 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

When I was in the U.S. Coast Guard, we once pulled into Halifax for a few days. I went to an AA meeting there and really enjoyed it. This was about 1993.

Lovely city!

Welcome, and best to you NG,

Ted
Old 09-01-2007, 04:34 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

hi ... Welcome!

Before quitting abruptly....it's wise to have
an honest talk with your doctor.
De toxing is a medical issue.

Glad you found us...please keep in touch
Old 09-01-2007, 06:02 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Hi, NavyGirl and welcome.

I couldn't do it alone - kept creeping back to the bottle although I felt awful about it. Went to AA, worked the program, still working the program and it's the only way I managed to remain sober, One Day at a Time, for quite a while now. Hope you find other women with whom you feel comfortable but remember that you'll sometimes hear what you need to hear from AAs who seem quite different than you.

Anyway, I encourage you to find your way to AA as other friends here have done, and please let us know how you are doing. Good advice above regarding the medical issues that can be dangerous in detoxing.

Best wishes from the Snowgoose.
Old 09-01-2007, 06:31 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome, navygirl!!

Back when I was drinking, towards the end especially, I spent a lot of time on the internet wondering if I was an alcoholic, taking little quizzes to determine if I was an alcoholic, coming to message boards and wondering about being an alcoholic. In retrospect, it is SO obvious that if I wasn't an alcoholic, I wouldn't have been wasting my time on such things - I would have been out in the world, enjoying my family, living my life!

I am so grateful that a friend of mine shared that he was in AA and told me about it. It sort of planted a little seed in my mind....maybe THAT was what I needed. I finally, FINALLY found my way to an AA meeting, after wasting years on "am I an alcoholic? am I not? can I quit on my own? if I REALLY try?". I couldn't quit on my own, and for ME, online support wouldn't have been enough. It would have been way to easy to sip my wine and read message boards - and that's just what I did for a long time.

I went to my first AA meeting alone, but that was the last time I was ever alone. I was welcomed with love and open arms by a roomful of people who could actually understand me. I hope you check out the link Barto sent. The worst thing that can happen is you waste an hour of your life. The best thing? A better life than you've ever imagined.

Keep reading, keep posting. We are glad you are here
Old 09-02-2007, 04:07 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

hi navy girl and welcome!