Notices

Hello my friends.

Old 08-28-2007, 08:10 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Thanks to everyone who gave me advice and support in this thread. I'm afraid I haven't had much success at all. I fully intended my post here to mark a new start on sobriety. I thought I was motivated and I was full of optimism about getting sober.

I make it a day or two and then I tell myself a few beers won't hurt. My mind tells me they will be "good" for me. Gotta ease myself off the booze. Don't want to stress the body by sobering up too fast you know... That leads to another full throttle drunk. I've done this twice since my initial post in this thread. Crazy.

So, I apologize for the dramatic pronouncement of my resolve to stop drinking. Feeling kind of embarrassed and shame faced after all the words of support offered by everyone. I haven't given up though. I'm going to keep trying.

I probably need to find a way to get into some kind of rehab. Don't have any insurance so I don't know what my options are. Don't have much cash to spend. I think just a couple of weeks would be enough to get me over the hump though. I'm so saturated with alcohol that it is controlling my mind. Its scares the hell out of me. Its like the booze in me has taken on a life and mind of its own. I'm just a string puppet along for the ride.

I'll try one more time. If I screw up again I'll try to find some kind of detox or program. Salvation army or something.

Joe
Old 08-28-2007, 08:52 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

zjoe I can only share my experience, I went through a 5 day detox and then as they suggested I went to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and got a sponsor.

Sept. 18th will be my one year date.

I will say that although the medical detox spared me the hell of withdrawals, it did not releive me of the mental obsession for alcohol, it took every bit of will power I had to make it from the detox center home and all I did when I got home was hug the wife and kids and go to an AA and get a sponsor.

What they failed to tell me at the detox place was to not only do the 90 in 90 and get a sponsor, but to also work the steps with my sponsor. Thanks to the Steps & fellowship of AA the mental obsession for a drink has been lifted from me.

I have heard the Salvation Army as you mentioned does have rehabs in some areas.
Old 08-28-2007, 10:57 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
let it grow!

there are solutions, joe. drinking doesn't have to be the choice.

hugs and support to you, k
Old 08-28-2007, 11:11 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Your best bet might be to see your Doctor. Your Dr. should know the options available to you, or at least refer you to someone who is versed in the field.

Since you were in AA, there are people there who know the ropes so to speak.

Anyhow, I wish you well,

Ted