Notices

I need a little encouragement

Old 08-16-2007, 04:37 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I need a little encouragement

Hi I've been visiting this site for a couple years now, and have basically struggled with alcoholism my whole life. I thought I finally kicked it, I went 4 months without a drop, and then slipped a couple times. Everything in my life has been improving, and I really don't want to fall into the same old patterns. Last night I drank a whole fifth of VO, and am nursing a wicked hangover, my tolerance has gone down I guess. I hate feeling like this, cold sweats - shakes, you know the routine. I feel like if I just go get a couple 24 ounce cans of beer I could chase it off, but this is how the whole vicious cycle started in the first place.

I just needed to vent a little bit, and I could really use a little encouragement.

Thank you all so much for reading-
Old 08-16-2007, 04:44 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Shakes, 4 months is awesome! Dont let it go to waste by starting again. You can do this!
Old 08-16-2007, 06:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Shakes,

When you stopped for 4 months, how did you do it? Willpower? AA meetings? Did you enjoy sobriety?
For me, I got sober and stay sober with AA - I truly enjoy sobriety. And I didn't think I would ever be able to give up the booze, never mind enjoy life without it.
I urge you to reach out for help while you're still feeling so poorly. It seems that when we begin to feel well again, denial kicks in pretty powerfully and we convince ourselves we can manage drinking this time.
Please keep posting and share a little more with us. Don't give up.

Rowan
Old 08-16-2007, 06:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Hang in there shakes, it does get better!

Ted
Old 08-16-2007, 06:56 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Awaiting Email Confirmation

Try to get to a meeting and share this with a group.
Old 08-16-2007, 07:39 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Shakes, you mention that you have struggled with alcoholism your whole life, and that you managed to stay sober for four months. As others said, that is most impressive. I found it impossible to stay away from drinking when I was "white-knuckling" it and all alone although I had sober periods, too. It wasn't until I went to AA and got the support of knowing others' similar struggles and having their help, that I was able to put together the quite a few 24hours that I have now. Yes, it's hard to walk in there the first time if you haven't yet, but It Works If You Work It.

Best wishes from the Snowgoose.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Once I did AA for a while, a drink stopped seeming like a good idea. If it ever does again, for more than a second or so, I'll most likely have one. I don't do temptation well! It's not something I worry about though, so long as I do a few simple things on a daily basis. It's been working for quite a while.
Old 08-16-2007, 08:37 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Shakes
You say everything in your life is improving, and I believe it can only improve without alcohol. You see the path it's already taking you back down...

For me, sobriety is not only physical, it is mental and spiritual as well. If I can get the spiritual piece straightened out, the mental and physical take care of themselves. AA helps me to do this, one day at a time...

Please consider going to a meeting and working a program which gives you a great set of tools to deal with life -- sober...

Ken
Old 08-16-2007, 08:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

You can get thru this without using. go to a meeting ,pray ,call a friend. you are doing well and you know what you need to do.
Old 08-17-2007, 03:55 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
L Ron Hoover

Welcome Shakes!
As Rowan said, how did you stay sober for 4 months? Whatever worked then is certainly worth another shot now. Give it another try. You're worth it. We're all worth it.

Yours in recovery,
LRH

Old 08-17-2007, 06:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, shakes. keep posting, k
Old 08-17-2007, 09:58 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Good to see you are going to try again!

Take those past 4 months as a base for your new sobriety.
Recovery Rocks!
Old 08-17-2007, 10:42 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the encouragement yesterday, it really helped, and I made it without taking a drink. I feel a million times better today, and am going to take it one day at a
time, and do my best to not drink. Even though I haven't posted that often on this forum it has always been a big help.

Thanks again
Old 08-17-2007, 10:46 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for letting us know how you are doing, Shakes. I hope you continue to visit, read and post. It's been a wonderful supplement to my own recovery.