Notices

climbing out.....

Old 08-08-2007, 05:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

climbing out.....

hi all...haven't been here since saturday morning....saturday afternoon,a family member said some very hurtful words to me,and i instinctively went to the liquor store,without forethought or planning.I needed to forget those mean words,and the hurt and anger it caused me,so i escaped into my old habits....the first bottle felt so good...i was able to numb myself and relax....and it all felt good....the next morning,however,i felt those all too familiar feelings....remorse,regret,shame....dry mouth,headache,and puffy eyes...but that didn't stop me from drinking the next few nights....it was amazing though,how quickly my attitude changed after drinking.....i even noticed it right away.....I was so negative,full of self-pity,self hatred,and just wanting to make the world go away....
After three days of drinking,i saw my therapist for my weekly visit...i was fine,until i pulled into the parking lot..then my eyes welled up with tears.I dreaded telling her that i had slipped after four months of being sober,and just starting to take some positive steps in my life.I told her,and she was so understanding.....after i explained what happened,she helped me see how all the pieces of this incident fit together....and why i did what i did.....and what i need to do,so it doesn't happen again......when this family member hurts me one way or another,i punish myself by drinking....I cannot let this person have the power to affect me this way,and i have to build myself a shield.......put emotional distance between me and the person....
so,today is day #1 for me..again.....i guess i don't have all the answers after all...so,i'm brushing myself off and i am going to climb back out of this black hole called alchoholism....with alittle help from my friends here at SR.....thanks for listening...love you all.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:53 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Good for you karrotop. Brush yourself off and put some distance between yourself and that person is a good idea. Welcome back to recovery .
Old 08-08-2007, 05:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome back. People slip up. The important thing is too learn from it and make changes. Sounds like that's what you're doing by recognising how affected you were by this family member and putting emotional distance between you both now.

I like how you say you're brushing yourself off and climbing out of the hole. Yay for you! Come and play on the grass up top.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:50 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yes I know those hurtful snide remarks which family can make. They need to put others down in order to feel good about themselves. It runs common in my family.It hurts much because I so love them dearly.

Please don't take it on. It's other people's stuff.

You never have to drink again.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

oh, ******{KT}}}}

glad you made it back ...so many don't.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

thanks for your honesty, karrotop. support coming your way, k
Old 08-09-2007, 11:51 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

damn I hate this crap

I'm sorry you were the target of hurtful remarks, and I'm sorry you slipped, but I'm so glad you made it back

Peter's right - you have to disown those kind of remarks. If I still listened to my family and let them get to me, I'd still be a 24/7 drunk.

Reasons to drink'll *always* be there.
Rise above the triggers KT

D
Old 08-09-2007, 12:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You slipped and it only lasted three days. Be proud of yourself. You are a trooper and you're getting right back on the right path. What an inspiration.
Old 08-09-2007, 02:32 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Yes...toxic people are not allowed in my life.

Glad you are here again