Notices

Music and sobriety

Old 08-05-2007, 11:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Music and sobriety

Any other musicians out there ?

I never really lost my passion for music while drinking, quite the contrary. I listened and played a lot, and alcohol was always part of it. However, my ability and my perceptions of my ability were two different things.

After I sobered up, the "spark" seemed to have vanished for a while. However, I've been tinkering lately, and I'm amazed at how good my "chops" still are. Dare I say better than ever ? And, it just comes naturally. I think , and out it comes. I just sat down for an hour or so and tore up the keyboard.

I think I've found another meaning to "We will intuitively know those things which used to baffle us...."
Old 08-05-2007, 01:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Thats a lovely share GP. I enjoy drawing/painting but during my worst drinking times didn't do any. At one time I don't think I had any feelings left to express anyway and then when I did I was too frightened of getting it wrong. Then I read a quote by Scott Adams "Creativity is allowing yourself to make mistakes. Art is knowing which ones to keep" and Henri Matisse who said "Creativity takes courage." I find that very true, but since taking the plunge and just doing it, I found my work to be better than I would have expected and I enjoy it so much more. I actually have feelings now - in fact I keep thinking that one of these mornings I must get up early and do some sketches and take photos of the sun rising over the sea - only a 10 minute drive away - but I get so excited about it I can't sleep and when I do finally get to sleep the suns nearly risen anyway. I some years back I used to drive my son to uni and take the coast road, must have been winter late mornings, the sun shining on the waves crashing onto the empty beach was fantastic, it was hard to keep my eyes on the road.

Anyway keep up the good work GP, I love music too, such an important part of living.
Old 08-05-2007, 01:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
L Ron Hoover

AT LAST! A fellow musician!
I play the keyboards, too, and 'fret' around with a guitar.
This may not be considered musicianship, but I program a mean drum machine.

This is one thing I hope to start doing again soon.

LRH

Old 08-05-2007, 02:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Awesome !!!!

Another thing I've found, is all the music I used to write was about ME. More specifically, my angst and pain over relationships. I haven't written anything new, but I'm curious to find out what it sounds like when I do.

L Ron, the spark does come back ! And caraway, I know about those late nights, early mornings. Alkies are a little obsessive

Case in point, my old rig before I had to sell a few things off:

Old 04-10-2008, 02:47 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hey, i'm also a keyboardist! I'm new here and wrote a thread but it got lost

Looks like some cool gear you've got there. I have a KORG Triton, it's a bit lame but some of the sounds are nice. It's always better to program your own tough. I also have a Rhodes which I love! I'm currently recording a song with a friend. I might reveal the myspace site later and you can have a listen! Anyway nice to meet you
Old 04-10-2008, 04:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

azzz...
Welcome to SR!

When I want to do an important post
I type into my Word Doc...edit
then C & P here.
Sorry yours got lost.

Why not start a new thread
so others can see and reply?

Again....Welcome!
Old 04-10-2008, 09:16 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yeah, I'd take a Triton any day

Rhodes ?!?!?

*drools*

My rig has changed considerably since the last pic. I'll post a new one soon, but here's what it looks like on paper

Clavinova CLP-820
Alesis Quadrasynth Plus
Kurzweil K2000 (A got a KURZ !) Fully loaded with Sampling, Memory, ROM, internal SCSI
Roland JV-1010
Korg 05RW
WaMi-Rack24 DA/Midi Interface
MOTU MIDI Express XT (The old parallel version)
Roland M-120 Mixer
Behringer 6 channel mixer
PIII 800 4U rack mount PC (for Editors/Librarians/MIDIOX, Etc)
Dual PIII 933 1U Dell Inspiron Rack Mount Server (Dedicated to soft synths)

Here's a partial list of soft synths(I have too many to list)

OP-X (Oberhiem)
MrRay (Rhodes)
MrTramp (Wurli)
FM7 (DX7)
B4 (B3)
Pro52 (Prophet 5)
SQ8L (ESQ-1)
Arrpe2600VA(Arp 2600)
MiniMougeVA (Moog)
Taurus (Taurus)
TAL-U-No-60 (Juno 60)

All that stuff, and I have maybe $500.00 invested since I got sober. E-bay and horestrading have kept the cost down. I also sold off stuff I wasn't using.

I've been practicing quite a bit, and have a few songs just about ready for live play with accompaniment by Sonar. I've also got a couple of classical pieces on the Piano down pretty well.

Sobreity has been good to me !
Old 04-10-2008, 10:58 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Wow Ty, what a rig you've got! I'm impressed and it's great to hear that you have the talent.

Growing up I was taught cello and later on took up guitars (can't attract the girls with a cello. Lol). But my addiction quickly took over, alcohol gave me more pleasure than music ever did, or so I thought. So the guitars went into a closet, I've held onto them in case my kids want to play someday. I still have an Ibanez Destroyer, a customized Fender Lead I, and a Marshall practice amp. Have to admit I never could keep time very well.

One of the things that kept my brain occupied in early sobriety was building a dulcimer from a kit. It turned out pretty nice and someday I hope to learn how to play it. In the meantime my love of music is returning, I keep Pandora Radio on all day at my desk and I'm slowly catching up on learning who all the new bands are.

It's a great gift to share my love of music with my kids, they like it when Dad cranks up the car stereo!