Notices

Need help...

Old 07-28-2007, 07:45 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Tom

Need help...

My drinking has gotten way out of control again. I had 12 days sober in the latter part of June and early July. Those were the nicest days of my adult life. I will do anything now to get back there. I plan on doing AA meetings also. Any words of wisdom from anyone will be greatly appreciated. This (alcolism) seems so tough to beat right now.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Pick yourself up dust yourself off lets get this ball rolling.If I canstay clean for two weeks anyone can.I have been going to meetings almost everyday if I miss I come here or listen to spesker tapes.It is hard to kick but you can.Before you take a drink come online tell someone let us remind you whats there for you.You have great support right here we will help.12 days is great now lets try for one if you ca do 12 1 will be a breeze.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hey Tom, welcome !

Alcoholism is a tough disease. I tried to beat it myself, but could not. I finally got beat up enough to drag my butt ot AA and THAT worked. I highly recomend it !
Old 07-28-2007, 08:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

What GP said. I couldn't do it alone either. It's good that you came back and you are planning AA meetings.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Tom

I came here over a month ago and this board helped me out in a big way. 12 days sober. I have learned that it is easy to stop drinking, but to stay sober is a whole different animal. Just want to stay sober this time.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:40 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I have learned that it is easy to stop drinking, but to stay sober is a whole different animal. Just want to stay sober this time.
You're learning

And, a word of caution. If you continue to drink until you become physically dependant, then quitting isn't that easy. As a matter of fact, withdraw is pure hell, and can kill.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hey Tom!

First, don't beat yourself up over drinking. I found that I cannot do this alone. AA is a "we" program -- we need each others' experience, strength and hope to go the journey.

You said in your post you "plan" to go to AA. Forget plan, now is the time to DO. Before you do anything tomorrow morning, find a meeting and go. You will be welcomed with open arms.

Remember, Tom -- it's a one day at a time thing. Truly. Go to a meeting every day, don't drink between meetings. Keep it that simple. Get phone numbers of folks at the AA meetings and instead of picking up a drink, pick up the phone. Get a Big Book and start reading -- right from the inside cover all the way through. Get a sponsor, and get to WORK.

Tom, no one will tell you this sobriety stuff is easy. It's damned hard to stop drinking and STAY stopped. But I can tell you that in the long run it's way way better, and life gets 'easier' to handle.

Keep posting and just stay in today!

NMB
Old 07-29-2007, 03:28 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hey Tom and welcome!! The early days are tough no doubt. Think of it this way...you have an empty tool bag, but each time you go to a meeting, you'll get some tools to help you live life sober. All you need to worry about right now is don't drink and go to a meeting every day. Go to more than one meeting a day if that is what it takes. Get some phone numbers. Most groups have a phone list. 90 meetings in 90 days is the suggestion and I've found it to be very helpful in getting immersed in AA. Go early if you can and stay late after the meeting.When you've found a group that you like...make it your home group and then dive in. I had to get involved to feel a part of the group. And this one was the toughest one for me....GET A SPONSOR. I bolden it for myself cause I resisted that suggestion as long as I could, then after I surrendered to that one, life started getting better. Once you have a sponsor, call him every day regardless of whether you think or feel like you need to. That should keep your plate full for a little while. But the most important thing in my post for where you are right now is......DON'T DRINK AND GO TO A MEETING FOR 24 HOURS AT A TIME.
Old 07-29-2007, 04:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi and welcome!!!
Old 07-29-2007, 07:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi,

Tie a knot and hang in with us...We are glad you are here.

Keep posting...
Old 07-29-2007, 07:49 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

Hi Tom..

I'm an AA'er myself...I couldn't stay sober without it. There's a meeting every day, somewhere...look it up online :-).

Pulling for you..

Karen
Old 07-29-2007, 09:32 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Grateful recovering alcoholic

Tom, with the help of AA I now have 60 days of sobriety. I've committed myself to attending 90 meetings in 90 days -- AA's gold standard of early sobriety -- and so far I'm on track. I told myself I would give the program 90 days and THEN decide whether I thought it was for me.

I've already decided it is, but the point is I gave myself permission to reach the opposite conclusion. Start out by giving the program the benefit of the doubt. Go to different meetings and different kinds of meetings. I decided early on that I didn't like speaker meetings, I preferred discussion meetings. I've met people who feel exactly the opposite. Take what you need, and leave the rest.
Old 07-29-2007, 08:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Dont give up, Tom

Intro
Old 07-30-2007, 04:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

I had almost 8 mo sober this time and drank again.

I am no doubling and/or tripling my AA work.

Just a suggesstion, you are always invited to a meeting of Alcoholics Anonymous...

And we would be honered if you joined us.

Ted
Old 07-30-2007, 04:47 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Tom, I will share with you what they told me in detox "If you want a chance to stay sober, go to at least 90 AA meetings in 90 days and get a sponsor!"

I thought 90 in 90 was impossible, I was married, have kids and work full time, my counselor asked me to just promise him I would spend as much time going to AA meetings as I did drinking, funny thing, I made more then 90 AA meetings in 90 days, worked my job and still spent more time with my family then I did when I was drinking!

As others have said, get a sponsor, get phone numbers, call people, work the steps, & do not drink one day at a time.

I drank for 40 years, it took detox to get me semi sober and AA to get me totally sober and able to be happy, joyous, & free without drinking. Thanks to AA I have not had a drink in over 10 months and the urge/need to drink has been lifted.

AA works if you work it!