Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Alcoholism Information > Alcoholism
Reload this Page >

Quick question about the use of benzo's in recovery

Notices

Old 07-11-2007, 07:35 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I had always thought that recovering alcoholic's should not take things like xanax or Klonopin, except if used during detox. Is it ok for an A to take (not abuse) dr. prescribed benzo's? Will it harm his recovery or make it more difficult? Thanks
Old 07-11-2007, 07:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Good morning Howdo,

As far as I know Benzo's are No Noz in recovery, but work well during de-tox...

They affect us the same way alcohol does.....

Work Hard and Enjoy Life.....Ned
Old 07-11-2007, 07:58 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

For me they will lead to me getting drunk because if it changes the way I feel I will abuse it no matter what it is.I take a sleeping pill everynight to regulate sleep patterns and my wife must hide them or you know.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:13 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

If they are prescribed by a Doctor, and used as directed, they're OK.

That said, I wouldn't take them, except during de-tox. I know where it leads. I've seen many people go back out on prescribed medicine.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went back out after being prescribed benzos for anxiety - I had 2 years sober.

I understand that some are able to take them responsibly, but I could not.
Old 07-11-2007, 09:14 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Is the doctor who prescribed them aware that you are a recovering alcoholic?
Old 07-11-2007, 09:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yes
Old 07-11-2007, 11:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I have no personal experience with
recovery and benzos.

I do take medication
as directed by my doctor.

It has nothing to do with
my recovery or my sobriety.

Ergo...I do not discuss it with my AA group.

That works well for me...
Old 07-11-2007, 11:39 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Is there such a thing - an alcoholic that can take things as prescribed?? if one benzo is good, 100 won't be enough..if you get my drift.

not!
Old 07-11-2007, 12:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

Loreena, I have to disagree with you. Like Carol I have many medications that I MUST take for my health issues, some of which are a direct result of the years i drank and I take my meds as prescribed, including my pain meds and my anti D's.

Yes, My Dr knows I am an alcoholic.

Yes, I have quite few years sober, however, I could abuse if I chose to, however, I do not choose to return to that hell that I left so long ago.

HowdoIknow, if you have concerns, talk to your Dr about a different medication that might help your problem or give the medication to someone to hold for you and give to you as prescribed.

J M H O

Love and hugs,
Old 07-11-2007, 12:39 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I've had times I've had to take medication in recovery, and my program of recovery is Alcoholics Anonymous. I'm a firm believer that working a program, becoming spiritually fit, and never, ever forgetting or minimizing the last drink kept me from abuse.

I wouldn't want to try it any other way. And I took no medications for detox, though I was under doctor's supervision.

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 07-11-2007, 02:59 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I take 1/2 mg xanax every day for about 5 years now and have NVER abused them. I was prescribed 1 mg and only feel like I need 1/2 but if I get a panic attack I will take the entire 1 mg

As many may know, 1/2 mg is not much at all and I don't feel any different except I don't have anxiety

I am currently in the early stages of alchohol recovery and wil be consulting my doctor as to whether I should use xanax to detox and hopefully after that I can manage my anxiety and get of the xanax. I truely believe alot if not all of my anxiety issues are a direct result from drinking so hopefully after I'm off the booze I'll have no need for the medicine.

Or.. maybe being on the booze was a way to cope with the anxiety?? I guess we'll see, only thing I know is that I want to be done with both..
Old 07-11-2007, 03:34 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Not a Dr so this is not medical advice.

I was prescribed Klonapin for a sleep disorder by my long time Dr who knew my entire history.

As far as I am concerned taking benzos is simply a way to chew your booze.

The withdrawel was absolutely miserable, much worse than Booze. Caused me blackouts too...

That having been said, these are only MY opinions and My experience.

I won't touch benzos ever again.
Old 07-11-2007, 03:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

As far as I am concerned taking benzos is simply a way to chew your booze.
I've already stated my opinion, howver, from what I've read, your liver & brain don't know the difference either.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:20 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Benzodiazepines are highly addictive. They do have their use though. For the patient who has just gone through something extremely traumatic like seeing your child get run over by a car. They should only be used for a short term. Most doctors don't understand this, so they prescribe them for long term anxiety treatment. Most of them don't even know how they are metabolized, nor how long it takes to withdraw from them. Benzos have a very long half life and it takes about a month to withdraw from them due to the fact that they are stored in and metabolized by fat cells. There are so amny other alternatives for anxiety treatment today. Many of the SSRIs are quite good at maintaining anxiety. The trick is finding the one that works for you, or a combination of antidepressants. This is where the psychiatrist trumps the family physician in treating anxiety and depression. Most family physicians are simply inept in treating anxiety and depression with multiple medications. For this alcoholic, benzodiazepines are no more than freeze dried alcohol, and the potential for physical dependence is pretty much a given. Use them steadily for a period of time and you will become dependent.
Old 07-11-2007, 07:49 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Open Minded

I have GAD and Social Anxiety Disorder with panic attacks. My GP allows me benzos when I am in withdrawal from alcohol but not at other times. I don't think I'd trust myself. I was only on 5mg and the lack of anxiety was a huge relief during the withdrawal process. I am still seeking a medicine that will help with the anxiety. I wish benzos weren't addictive, as they really do remove the anxiety for me. Oh well, onwards and upwards and exposure therapy here I come :0)