Notices

Lost my companion

Old 07-02-2007, 10:23 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Lost my companion

My beautiful yellow labrador was put down by the vet this morning. His 12 year old legs and kidneys just gave out. It was so sad to see him and so hard to say goodbye.
He was a real companion. During my chronic drinking and spells of incapacity he would lie by my bed or lie his head on my knee. Such a kind gentle spirit.
I was truly blessed to have him.
I'm not going to drink on it - I want to remember him as he was, and not blot him out.
Life is so hard sometimes.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
came-came to-came to believe

Bob-
I am so sorry for your loss. Our Pets are our family
Remember the wonderful times and how much he was there for you.
Old 07-02-2007, 10:34 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Bobnik, I'm sorry for your loss.

In early sobriety, I lost my best freind too. A 15 year old Orange Tabby, nicknamed "Fats" (He was over 20 lbs B4 he got sick).

It hurts. Let it hurt. Let the feelings wash over you, and you'll walk out the other side having actually felt pain and loss for once.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I am sorry Have you ever seen this?

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.

There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine and our friends are warm and comfortable.All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor: those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing: they each miss someone very special, someone who was left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent: his eager body begins to quiver. Suddenly, he breaks from the group, flying over the green grass, faster and faster. You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into those trusting eyes, so long gone from your life, but never absent from your heart. Then you cross the Rainbow Bridge together..

.*Author Unknown*
Old 07-02-2007, 12:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Bobnik-So sorry to hear about the loss of your furry companion. I am sure that he knew how much you loved and appreciated him for being there for you no matter what. I hope he is in doggie heaven where his legs are young again and he will be waiting to greet you on the other side. Take care.

GJ
Old 07-02-2007, 12:13 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
let it grow!

i'm sorry, bobnik. blessings, k
Old 07-02-2007, 12:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I am so sorry about your companion. I have 5 dogs and 3 cats. I lost my fourth cat (the oldest) on February 24, my daughter's B-Day. She was outside (she loved sitting on my car) and two pitbulls chewed her up. She lasted 5 days. It broke my heart. I don't have anything against pitbulls. I have a mixed pit and she's the love of my life. She's the one that doesn't leave my side during my hang over days. It's the owners of the pitbulls that I have a problem with. Anyway, I just want to send you cyber hugs. They are truly a gift from God.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Hi Bobnik,

I'm so sorry for your loss, my thoughts and prayers are with you. Hopefully he's playing with Annie, my terrier mix. She died last weekend in an accident.
Old 07-02-2007, 12:50 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

They are truly a gift from God.
A couple of months after Fats died, I heard a mewing on my porch (upstairs, apartment) at 2:00 AM. I opened the door, and in walks this kitten. Kitten proceeds to use litter box, has a snack, then jumped on my bed and purred an went to sleep as if she's always been there. I kind of freaked and started wondering about animal re-incarnation......

Anyway, Mini is still with us, and a joy to behold. She truely is a gift from God, she was sent to me.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks so much for all your kind comments. SR is a great source of strength for me. Reading Carol's post was kind of spooky! It has been raining heavily in the UK for the last 2 weeks. A while after the vet had left this morning- the sun came out and a rainbow could be seen. I think it was a message that all was well.
Old 07-02-2007, 01:28 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
came-came to-came to believe

(((((Bobnik)))))
Old 07-02-2007, 02:09 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am so sorry for the loss of your beloved pet.

Bobnik, I am so glad that Carol posted Rainbow Bridge. I kept it on the fridge for weeks after my cat died. And, I love your story aboout the rainbow. I would take that as a definite sign that your beautiful dog is watching over you.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:45 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
No more merlot, more mamma

I'm so sorry for your loss Bobnik. Our animals are part of our family. Please be at peace knowing that you did the right thing so he wouldn't suffer, and I do believe he's waiting for you when your time comes..

((bobnik))
Old 07-02-2007, 07:52 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks for your post Bob. I'm sorry about your loss. Our pets knew us when, and loved us anyway. I think our pets also know when we aren't doing well. One of my cats knew me for years before relapse. Then after I started drinking again he would look at me differently. Each night as my wife would go to bed and I would stay up to drink on to oblivion, that cat would sit and look at me and he would look sad as if he would be saying, " why are you doing this to yourself". I think he was unhappy with me. Maybe even concerned. The reason I say this is because during this time he wouldn't have a desire to get up on the couch with me. He would just sit or lay on the floor and look at me. After I sobered up, he started jumping up on the couch again, and wanting to be closer to me. Who knows? Maybe he sensed I was killing myself.Or maybe the scent of alcohol was too annoying for him. But it's something I recognized. Our pets are kindred companions.
Old 07-02-2007, 08:07 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

well, you are doing the right thing
sharing about it
but, a labrador
they are beautiful
so
do your best

fraankie

ps

a pictier would be nice
i'm sure they even have pet grieving sites
if you google
Old 07-02-2007, 09:13 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

****{bobnik}}}

How sad.
But look how long he stuck around, to be sure you were going to be okay.
And - he'll probably send a new frien to you soon enough.
Old 07-03-2007, 04:14 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Bob my sincerest condolances on your lose, I have gone through it myself so many times and will go through it again, when my wife and I pass I have a feeling it will resemble a zoo as we all pass over rainbow bridge....... I am sure your lab is playing with many other pets that have passed and are waiting for us, but in the mean tme they are now healthy and at ease.
Old 07-09-2007, 06:34 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your lovely dog. The love you have for him will stay in your heart. Love transcends life.