Notices

Possible problem

Old 06-11-2007, 05:05 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Possible problem

i've drank alot lately. and now it seems i am having issues with sleep unless i have drank. here's my normal week. work til 6, go hang out with friends and drink probabaly 3 out of 5 days during the week, and drink from 7:30 or 8:30 until 11 saturday.I drink the 5% or 3.5% alcohol drinks. and occassionallydrink a screw driver and some shots of southern comofrt. what's got me thinking was i was somehwere where they only sold beer and i drank it even though i hate it. the weird thing is: i used to not have a high tolerance, but i do now. i don't think i ever have been hungover. i get a little dizzy from drinking, but i don't think i ever have been hung over or even drunk, and that night i has 2 shots of SoCo, 1 mikes crisp apple before the races, one and a half crisp apples with vodka mixed during, and another shot or 2 of SoCo after the races. i am awake but as soon as i get in my bed i fall right to sleep. but i haven't drank since thursday.

the reason i started to drink was so i'd actually get to hang with my sister. plus things have fallen appart in my life in the past month. i have dropped out of college due to grades, lost some really good friends (one in the war in Iraq this past week), and just very stressed. i guess i feel that the booze is the the only friend in my life who won't use me. what do you all think? do i have a problem?
Old 06-11-2007, 06:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Here is what I know for certain...

It's not about what you drink or how much you drink
or why or when

If alcohol is causing you problems...any problems
then Yes! you do have a problem.

I am sorry for your losses in life and friends
but you CAN become a healthier sober person!

Blessings
Old 06-12-2007, 04:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Angel no one can tell you if you are an alcoholic or if you have a drinking problem, only you can determine that.

Get a piece of paper and write down everything good that has happened to you because you drank.

Now get a pad of paper and write down every single thing bad that has happened to you due to drinking, do not count just when you were drunk, count things you did not do because you slept in or chose to drink over something else.

Alcoholism is a progressive disease, it never gets better, it always gets worse.

Only alcoholics develop a tolerance to booze, drink as long as I did and it eventually goes haywire, one day no matter how much I drank I could not even get a buzz, the next day 6-8 beers would have me slurring my speech.

If you determine that you are an alcoholic there is a solution.
Old 06-12-2007, 05:14 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

You may want to talk to a Doctor.

I suffered terribly from depression and didn't even realize it.

Many people start down the path of alcoholism by self-medicating their feelings away.

I am an alcoholic but only you can decide for yourself.

The fact that you are here and questioning your drinking habits is a good thing.

I hope the best for you,

Ted
Old 06-12-2007, 06:36 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

given the consequences you mention, i'd have to question - if booze is your only friend, who needs friends or enemies?

keep searching for solutions. blessings, k
Old 06-12-2007, 04:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by CarolD View Post
Here is what I know for certain...

It's not about what you drink or how much you drink
or why or when

If alcohol is causing you problems...any problems
then Yes! you do have a problem.
I second that.
Old 06-12-2007, 09:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Angel,
Welcome. I agree with Carol. If you think there is a problem, there is a problem.

Remember if you are addicted, your addiciton will cause you to justify it. It sounds like you know the answer to your question, and you might want someone to tell you otherwise?? It sounds like you have an alcohol problem. People without alcohol problems don't ask the same questions about their drinking.

I suggest seeing a doctor about this.
chip
Old 06-14-2007, 07:12 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I wish I had a drink right now. I'm so stressed. work is giving my **** for hours, i'm supposed to have 32 hours to get on the health care plan, but i can't even get that many hours. my life is falling appart, it was before i started to drink. drinking is the only thing that has helped me escape it.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
let it grow!

aa step one - we admitted that we were powerless over alcohol and our lives had become unmanagable.

please believe - drinking is not going to help.

i'm sorry you are having so much pain. there is a solution. can you get to an aa meeting?

blessings, k
Old 06-14-2007, 07:50 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

see my parents will flip. i'm only 21 and live with them still.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:57 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I just recently (last weekend) told my parents about my drinking problem. It's been going on for years, they had no idea and I kept making excuse after excuse as to why I shouldn't tell them or didn't want to tell them. I'm 21, currently in college so I'm not living there full time, but still go home on weekends. I thought the exact same thing. I'm only 21, what the hell? I can't even tell you how terrified I was to tell my parents. But I finally got it out last weekend and everything is ok. I actually feel quite a bit better knowing I don't have to worry about hiding that from them anymore.

With that said, you don't necessarily have to tell them right away. I'm not trying to contradict myself, but can't you go to an AA meeting without telling them? Just to test it out to see if you like it, then later on down the road talk to them about it.