Notices

What is the AA Message?

Old 05-06-2012, 08:21 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bugsworth View Post
sfields...I find it sorta sad that you feel that you are so walking the edge in regards to your addiction. I always despised that "one drink away" kinda talk. For me, my journey has brought me miles away from where I was...I no longer feel like I am in recovery, rather I am recovered. That is not to say I don't remain vigilant in regards to my prior addiction but I am no longer the same person...alcohol no longer holds any power over me.
An active alcoholic is a man with a gun to his head with the hammer cocked and his finger on the trigger. If he makes that conscious decision to stop drinking it is like he just uncocked the gun but it is still pointed at his head. Each positive step in his program of recovery results in the gun being moved farther away... set down on the table... pushed further away... placed in a safe, the safe locked, the key thrown away into a deep ocean.

Every alcoholic can determine for himself how far away the gun is ... is it in his hand? on the table? in the safe? How far away is a drink (the gun)?

Some alcoholics keep the gun close by and others have deep sixed the entire safe with the gun in it in the deepest part of the ocean never to drink again. They are "recovered".
Old 05-06-2012, 10:17 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I wondered who had dug up this years old thread....
Many of these members have moved on from SR...don't be
surprised if they don't reply.
Bless them all on their journy.

sacheldog....Welcome to our SR Alcoholism Forum...
Old 05-07-2012, 05:30 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  

The message of AA is that if your lifes all screwed up from drinking and you're not feeling good about that fact....You take the 12 steps of AA,have a spiritual awakening and you won't feel that way anymore.Basic and simple but a price must be paid,going to meetings,having a good sponsor,taking directions,and so on.
First thing is to get yourself into a meeting and let people know you're new and serious about stopping this madness.They will talk to you with genuine concern and start you on the way.

Cheers,Steve