Notices

feeling restless...

Old 05-23-2007, 02:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

feeling restless...

hi all....I have 8 weeks sober today...and feeling(for lack of a better word)..restless...I felt like this often times when i hit day#30....and within a week,i was in the bottle again....and I really want to stay sober THIS time....I really don't miss drinking,that's not it....I don't know....just wanted to share this feeling and see what you all thought about it......KT
Old 05-23-2007, 02:46 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Karrotop -

With 9 days sober (quick relapsed after 40 days . . .)

I know just what you are saying. I want to relax, just relax and not think (FEEL) anything for awhile. I have to learn new ways.

TinLizzy
Old 05-23-2007, 03:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well done on your sober time!

Have you connected with a recovery program?
My AA committments keep me in blance.
Old 05-24-2007, 12:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hey KT,

8 weeks is GREAT!!!

S
Old 05-24-2007, 12:55 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

KT man I know exactly what you are feeling, I felt that feeling a lot when I was sitting around in my head doing nothing but thinking about me and how miserable I was not drinking and how bad I did not want to start drinking again.

What got me out of these constant restless (I call it being in a funk) feelings was doing things that got me out of my own head and doing things to stay busy, but what helped me the most in my frist 3 months was meetings!!! Lots of meetings! Listening to other people who were either struggling like I was or who were beyond the point I was, they gave me HOPE that it would get better!

I could tell by the laughter and the twinkle in their eyes that there was real honest to God hope that I would get better. Reading the BB, calling and talking to other alcoholics & going to meetings kept me out of my own head and helped me not only stay sober, but lose that funk!!!!

I guess I was about 3 months sober and I had gotten to a meeting pretty early and was sitting by myself on a bench waiting for others to show up when I had this funny feeling and I had no idea what the heck it was. Suddenly it dawned on me, man I was SMILING, no reason at all, no one had said or done a thing, but I was SMILING for no reason at all!

Do not get me wrong, I still feel the restlessness every once in a while, but they get further and further apart in time and hardly last any time at all, usually they end the second I am heading out to a meeting or call another alcoholic.
Old 05-24-2007, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I know for me, I had a lot of pent up energy after I got sober. I threw myself into work and AA meetings.Perhaps developing a hobby might help.
Old 05-24-2007, 07:12 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Ditto Peter. Lot's of AA. That & my daughters, & a job, the dogs, bills etc.

It's SOOOO nice to have bills & responsibilities & kids & little souls to count on me !
Old 05-24-2007, 07:21 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GlassPrisoner View Post
It's SOOOO nice to have bills
I don't think I have ever heard (or in this case read) someone say that
Old 05-24-2007, 10:49 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome KT!
Keep up the good work. It sounds like this is THE time for you. I hope you keep posting.
chip
Old 05-24-2007, 11:08 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Administrator

Know what you mean KT...had the jitters last week...not tempted, just 'not happy'...got off my butt and did things, as well as speaking about my recovery to a lot of people and doing a lot of recovery based reading...

this week ? doing a lot better
D
Old 05-25-2007, 03:41 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I don't think I have ever heard (or in this case read) someone say that
The oddest thing I ever heard shared was a guy that said he was actually happy about filing his income tax returns and having everything current on his car! He was in his 40's and said it was the first time in his life that he was doing every thing right!
Old 05-25-2007, 04:46 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
catch-22

I'm only on day 4, but my depression is already lifting and I find myself smiling a lot. I'm not grumpy anymore. I found myself again, as I used to be, many years ago. It's such a wonderful feeling. Stick to it. You won't regret it.

Catch