Notices

Dammit, Had a strong urge

Old 04-21-2007, 04:44 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Dammit, Had a strong urge

The good news was I beat it! Yah! I had to drive my daughter about 10 miles to a neighboring town after work last night. It was Friday, Happy Hour time. I must've checked out every bar parking lot to and from my trip. I wanted so badly to go in one of those establishments for a beer! I made it back home safely and got in my pajamas. I laid on my bed and read some of my big book. I went downstairs and read some papers, etc. Eventually, around 7:30 pm the feeling passed and I began to feel tired. I had been to a meeting on Thursday p.m. and I felt kind of tired to go to one last night. I suppose that was what I should have done - just drove myself to the nearest meeting place!! I also have to get some #'s of folks to call when I am suffering like that!

The upside was I awoke this a.m. clear headed and SO thankful to my HP that I got through that craving last evening. It really does make me feel stronger when I've beat a craving.

Sure isn't easy though while it's happening!

Thanks for listening.

Laurie
Old 04-21-2007, 05:10 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

Glad you made it!

(get those numbers for next time)

Ted
Old 04-21-2007, 07:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

You did well to get through the cravings laurie, even if you did not get to a meeting.

The important thing to remember is that these cravings will come and they will hit you when you least expect it.

Prepare yourself mentally for when they occur and have a plan of action. Keep phone numbers of your non drinking friends with you at all times and never go anywhere unless you have your own means of making a fast exit. In time your cravings will diminish.

Identify trigger areas in your life.

Extreme emotional stress was always one of my biggies anger, sadness and even boredom.I had to avoid the tv and newspapers for years after I got sober because they were so depressing and infuriating. Family gatherings and major sporting events were always another one of my triggers.

Make a list of yours and make preparations for them.

Take care Laurie.
Old 04-21-2007, 07:18 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm glad you were able to say no to the craving, laurie. The others have given you some solid advice so I won't regurgitate any of it - just wanted to say - you did well - and as you have seen, the craving passes. This experience will help you the next time the urge occurs.

Rowan
Old 04-21-2007, 08:44 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Laurie,

Im so proud of you for making the decision not to drink. I don't know how long you've been sober, but i know for many people when those cravings begin, they get some ice cream or a little chocolate. Our bodies crave the sugar in alcohol and some sweets have a tendency to calm those cravings.

I'm not suggesting overdoing it, but just a little something to take the edge of you know? You sound like you are just the right place. AA, meetings, HP, Big Book. All the ingredients for recovery. Only other thing I might suggest is to call someone in AA, perhaps your sponsor if you have one. If you don't, do you best to get one. Start working the steps if you haven't already. Forgive me if you have. I'm just try to give you as many spiritual tools as you can get.

Well done Laurie!!!! Keep coming back.

Your friend in sobriety,
Ed
Old 04-21-2007, 09:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Laurie,

So happy you beat the urge...They can be strong but if we don't cave in to the craving the next day, one feels especially good.
Old 04-21-2007, 10:25 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Laurie,

You did it! Congratulations.

I love Peter's idea of always having your own car! That sounds like money in the bank -

TinLizzy
Old 04-21-2007, 02:14 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
IO Storm

Congrats Laurie:

Avoiding stress, practicing acceptance when I cannot

avoid it, breathing, and imagery work for me...

And repeating Steps 1,2,and 3.....

When the going gets rough..

Love,

Sherry
Old 04-21-2007, 11:36 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
wants life back

I had an urge tonight myself. I am coming off opiates and alcohol and feel bad today and I walked by 2 friends of mine and they offered me some whiskey I took a glass with a couple shots in it and almost screwed up big time (it was right in my hand) but I poured it down the sink and thanked the good lord I passed that test.
Old 04-22-2007, 01:08 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ABT4LIFE View Post
I had an urge tonight myself. I am coming off opiates and alcohol and feel bad today and I walked by 2 friends of mine and they offered me some whiskey I took a glass with a couple shots in it and almost screwed up big time (it was right in my hand) but I poured it down the sink and thanked the good lord I passed that test.

I am so glad to hear you poured it out. Thank goodness! I hope your friends will be more respectful of you in the future; sometimes people just don't know. I hope that you won't have anymore close calls like that. Hugs.
Old 04-22-2007, 05:14 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Abt4life:

With friends like that you sure don't need enemies! Boy, I hope noone hands me a glass of beer that's for sure!

Thanks everyone for your replies. I went to a noon AA mtg. yesterday and then spent the rest of the splendid day in the park soaking up some sun. In the Northeast we are starved for sunshine:-)

It was great reading all you suggestions for me! I plan to find another AA meeting today sometime.

Have a great day all!

In recovery,

Laurie