Notices

Grateful to be Back after Relapse

Old 04-20-2007, 12:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Grateful to be Back after Relapse

Hello,
I had over 7 years sober and last weekend I drank. I won't get into the gory details, but I will share what happened as soon as I took the first drink. I wanted more. And more. and more. I was immediately angry when the person I was with wanted to SHARE a 6pack with me. I didn't get drunk enough fast enough. The next day, although I went to an AA friend's, talked with her and began praying, was filled wiht intense cravings and obsession for another drink. I almost didn't stay sober that day, despite a very real and clear sense of what would happen if I did drink. The next day was difficult, I shared my relapse at a meeting with my sponsor, and I felt a little better. I prayed, and prayed for the obsession to leave me.
I have proven to myself without any doubt at all that I AM an alcoholic, that I cannot put alcohol into my body without starting a chain reaction that entails those intense cravings, drinking to the point of oblivion, and loss of all that is dear to me. I can drink if I want to , but I don't want to. And that is a gift, purely a gift today. I have also reminded myself in no uncertain terms that it doesn't work anymore - the booze just doesn't give me the relief I am looking for. My higher power does.
I hope this helps someone, I know it helps me to share it.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am seven days sober. I have had 12 years of sobriety at one point. After relapsing it has been all I can do to stay sober a few months at a time. You're post hit directly to my heart. I can't thank you enough. I have been resolved to stay sober for today, your sharing just strengthened my resolve.
Thank you.
Old 04-20-2007, 12:48 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Iaccept,

Glad you found us - and glad you landed on your feet. Thanks for sharing your experience with us - it helped me.
I look forward to seeing more posts from you. Stick around!

Rowan
Old 04-20-2007, 01:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forums Iaccept. Your story has certainly helped me. I hope your cravings will be lifted from you soon.

Keep in touch.
Old 04-20-2007, 01:40 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
let it grow!

nice to meet you, iaccept. blessings, k
Old 04-20-2007, 02:25 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

I,

Thanks for being honest and sharing what happend. And, thanks for being honest with yourself. I've been sober for almost 21 years and I need to hear stories like yours that remind me of what it was like and how it doesn't get any better the next time out.

Welcome to SR. That story alone will do wonders for others' recovery.

Yours in sobriety,
Ed
Old 04-20-2007, 03:05 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

IAccept

Welcome to SR and I, also want to thank you. Your honesty and experience help me in my own sobriety today.

Have you figured out what may have been going on for you to have relapsed? When I did after 13 years sober, it was lonliness.

And like you said, no amount of alcohol will lift that from me, but my higher power brings grace to me every sober day. Even on the difficult days.

I look forward to getting to know you more.

Keep us posted~
Old 04-20-2007, 04:29 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Administrator

hi Iaccept,
thanks so much for your post...my problem in the past has always been a 'oh, one won't hurt' or 'I been sober for x time, I can control it now'...of course, it *does* hurt, and I *can't* control it...but a little reminding sometimes is just what the D ordered...

thanks - glad to meet you and hope to see you around more !
D
Old 04-20-2007, 05:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Iaccept -

Thank you for your post, as it is very pertinant to my situation yesterday.

I'm 16 days sober today, and damn proud of it.

Two to three days ago I started getting slightly anxious Things were just "getting" to me. I realized what it was. My husband had a trip out of town planned for Thursday returning Friday. I have outpatient on Thursday, would return home around 9:30 - no more outpatient 'till Monday, no one home for 48 hours, no one watching me. My committee was meeting and planning my demise! I was working myself up. I shared my concerns with my sponsor on Wednesday am, my husband Wednesday pm, an AA meeting Thursday am. In short, I got the monkey off my back, and I had 12 people whom I was obligated to check in with Thursday night. I literally had NO time to drink.

I was proud to share at a noon meeting today of my success.

I applaud the honesty in your post - You have helped me remain sober today.

Thank You -

TinLizzy
Old 04-20-2007, 06:00 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

I had over 5 years sober when I drank again.

Stayed drunk on and off for over 10 years.

Yep, I'm an alkie.

I am so glad you made it back so quickly.

Welcome

Ted
Old 04-20-2007, 09:37 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing. I'm glad you made it back. Some don't.

I also thank you for reminding me. Once again, that I can never drink. I had 5 years at one point. The beginning of the end started with one drink.......10 years later, well, we all know the story.

By the Grace of God (and AA), I have almost 6 months today.