Notices

Can you be around booze?

Old 04-11-2007, 02:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Can you be around booze?

At my meeting last night, most of the discussion revolved around whether or not those in attendance could be around alcohol. I have not had any problems being around alcohol...provided yep there is legimate reason (as noted in Big Book)...which for me sometimes, has simply been being around some friend who enjoys wine while I've drank tea or coffee; I've eaten at an airport bar stool cuz it was preferable to sitting alone at a restaurant table (and yep I enjoyed conversation with fellow passengers on barstools). I've been to dinner parties where my insecurity about making conversation sober was more problematic than wanting to drink. But I also now...my resolve isn't strong 24-7. Last night I was a bit shaken after a job interview that I didn't think went well...I needed a meeting. It wasn't a night I would have wanted to be around others drinking. For me, it's a judgement call.

Some felt like me at the meeting...others were adamantly against being around alcohol at any time.

Just curious about how others here feel on the topic.
Old 04-11-2007, 03:21 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I'm OK sitting at a bar.........for about 15 minutes or so.

No problem at sporting events.

No issues when I'm camping with other drinkers, I can always bed down early.

Dinners with co-workers are great. I love drinking Pellegrino and watching them pass out;-)

The obsession to drink was lifted, but the temptation still exists and probably won't ever go away, I just need to walk away when it becomes too much. I totally understand your being shaken and needing a meeting. I love going to meetings, and they give me much relief some days.

If you don't have the book Living Sober, please do yourself a favor and but it. For less than $10 it's got the perfect suggestions to all situations you'll come across, sorta like the Boy Scout handbook for alcoholics.
Old 04-11-2007, 04:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

I also stayed away from alcohol in early recovery, I don't have a problem being at a party or function where alcohol is served, but for the most part, I stay away from it...drunk people can be mean!!!!
Old 04-11-2007, 04:42 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I don't have a problem with being around alcohol. I really don't have the desire to drink at all. Even the smell of alcohol on peoples breath (or the communion wine at church!) is enough to make me feel a bit nauseous. I did stay away from certain situations and social events in early sobriety.

Yeah, Surlyredhead, drunk people can be mean...and really dumb. Don't want to be one of them! (anymore)
-K
Old 04-11-2007, 05:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't have a problem wiht being around alcohol.
To me it's just pioson with a different label.
I have to go to company's meetings all the time where there's
food and plenty of alcohol being served. I don't hang out for too long
simply beucase I don't like being around it anymore.
I make damn sure they all know I don't drink, but don't draw attention
to it. "I don't drink is enough said." i don't need to
explain it..they're not my mommy.
Just becuase i have a problem dosn't mean the whole world has a
problem.

I hate being around drunks, same as an ex-smoker
don't like to be around smokes.

I have better things to do with my life then to hang out in bars.
There's plenty of other places to go , wihtout an alcohol atmosphere.
Old 04-11-2007, 06:09 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

I dont have boose in the house, though my better half is a social drinker.

I don't have a problem with going out to eat even if she drinks. Of course she only has one or at the most two, and then she'll have coffee and a dessert. That kind of drinking is totally foreign to me.

If I have to go to a wedding or party or something I always make sure I have a way out. Like driving myself, and I leave if I get uncomfortable. Just tell them you have a case of diareha, beleive me they won't beg you to stay!

I don't go to bars or places where folks are drinking unless I really need to go.

But hey, this is just me, can't speak for anyone else.

Ted
Old 04-11-2007, 06:34 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

not sure exactly where in the big book it discusses this, but it mentions the pre requisite of being "spiritually fit" (or something along those lines), for a recovering alcoholic to safely be around alcohol...

so, it really is for me, a case by case thing. If I feel centered emotionally and spiritually, I can be in the presence of ANYTHING or anybody.

If not, life itself is a trigger.
Old 04-11-2007, 07:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I avoid being around alcohol - having relapsed twice, or was it thrice - but I digress - I've got a real healthy fear of the stuff and don't want to be around it, period. Especially when I'm at family functions - family + alcohol = Rowan feels bad about herself and wants to slip away from those icky emotions. So I don't stay terribly long and/or I occupy myself with all the kids or helping in the kitchen!
Old 04-11-2007, 09:19 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
New things have come to light

I still go to bars to hang with friends and see music. Dosent bother me. or hasent yet.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:27 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

At this point I can't be in places where there's a lot of alcohol. If someone is having a drink or two with dinner, then that's fine. But if it's more than that the temptation will beat me over the head until I give in. I'm trying to avoid it at all costs at this point since I just relapsed a week ago. I imagine there will be a point where I can comfortably be around it, but right now that isn't the case.
Old 04-11-2007, 09:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

All I know is that my emotions change on a daily basis,therefore,I can;t let myself be around it if possible.If I have to,and have an exit plan,I will,but only in extreme situations..I say no..Just my opinion..
Old 04-11-2007, 10:49 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

nope.

maybe someday - but not right now.
Old 04-11-2007, 11:31 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome Die tryin

Gosh, I'm around alcohol every day. Like many of you, it doesn't bother me either.

Alcohol can't hurt us if we don't drink it. I used to be afraid that I would slip. When I trust my HP, and put my faith in my God, I don't even think about drinking. Thoughts come up from time to time, but I quickly kill the thought as soon as it comes to my mind.

I work in a bar, and I look at it like I would look at bottles of paint thinner...POISON.

Society can't change for me. I've got to get over my hang-ups and move forward. Yesterday, I was in a liquor store with a big bundle of cash (purchasing for my bar). I don't even think about doing stuff like that if I'm not spiritually fit enough to handle it.

My stragedy is to pray as often as possible, and really try to live the life my God wants me to live. If I'm doing this, the thought of a drink doesn't even cross my mind. AA helped me develop this stragedy, and it's working for me.
chip
Old 04-12-2007, 12:48 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think it's different for every one. I like to go out dancing occasionally and that doesn't bother me. It's weird because for me I am okay, or better anyway, around people who drank the way I did. What kind of unnerves me is being around social drinkers, people who sit there and sip wine like they are drinking water. I don't care for that much. It may be weird, but that's how I am. The obnoxious drunk in a bar I can relate to because it's who I was and never want to be again; the poised social drinker is kind of a mystery but at the same time my disease will tell me "I can do that, drink like that, and remain dignified." I can't, and never could.
Old 04-12-2007, 02:39 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Being around it doesn't bother me at all, I have been to a sporting event that had an open bar, my brother-in-law is one of the few men I know who out drank me on a regular basis and he doesn't bother me, he actually strengthens my sobreity.

Every one is different, as others in AA have mentioned one has to be Spiritually fit, but it also says right after that, that it is what the alcoholic is comfortable with. I know people in AA with 20+ years who refuse to be around booze and others that are like me and could give a rats patoot!
Old 04-12-2007, 03:37 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I can think of only two instances of being around booze in the last year.

The first was at work, 10 minutes before quitting time. The liquor store guy next door brought over some new flavour coolers for us to sample. Of course, the staff, being the brave troopers that they are, decided to give it a go. Lo and behold, no opener, so someone said, we'll need a lighter, get Ron, guys are good at that. So, I had to open all the coolers for the ladies.

That one bothered me for a few days. I was taken by surprise and early in my recovery and had to handle the open bottles. I went home actually physically shaking and upset. Turned out OK though.

The second was our staff Christmas party a few months later. This one I was prepared for, No surprises, just a solid plan. I ended up really enjoying myself and did not at all feel deprived for not drinking.

I still feel awkward, however, when the conversaton switches to alcohol related discussion. Eiher I feel guilty for the past, or jealous cause I can't enjoy that beer in the back yard on a hot day.

Luckily there are very few things I do involving alcohol, only work related stuff. These I can plan for and, of course, it's way easier now. I have the coping tools to make the right choices for me.

Ron
Old 04-12-2007, 06:08 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Secret Agent

At this point, no.

If people are drinking around me I get incredibly mad. I don't say anything to them. That wouldn't be right. Its their body they can do what they want. But when I can't drink and other people are and having a good time it just drives me insane.

Its easy not to drink in those social situations because I know what will happen. I'll get too drunk and act like an idiot. And I won't remember anything.

If its in the house I'm ok. As long as I don't look at it.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:39 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

It does not bother me to be around other drinkers. Not in the least. My problem was not in bars, clubs etc drinking with my buddies. I was drinking alone. I very seldom had more than a drink or two in the presence of others. It was a big problem none the less, just not a problem with others.
I guess I never wanted to be drunk around other people and have them discover my problem.
Old 04-12-2007, 06:42 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

One of the greatest things about sobriety I have found is learning just how much more fun life can be without drinking. There is not a single thing I can think of that is better when drinking unless you want to count being stupid or violent as fun.
Old 04-12-2007, 07:11 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by lanie67 View Post
the poised social drinker is kind of a mystery but at the same time my disease will tell me "I can do that, drink like that, and remain dignified." I can't, and never could.

Ha, thats is so true, drink the thing and get it over with !! Sippy, sippy was just not my style. One or two was never enough so why even start?