Notices

The challenge tonight.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:04 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Red face The challenge tonight.

My first real challenge will take place tonight. I have to go to a wedding dinner. But I guess I don't have to be scared,... just carefull. In theory, it looks easy enough,... just say no when offered a drink.

How hard can it be,......right?
Old 03-12-2007, 06:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
not a greeter

Hi hush . Good luck at the wedding dinner. I've put myself in very few social situations where I have to say no... self preservation I guess. On those few occasions I have been around drinking it wasn't too hard. Just remember what's important to you and it shouldn't be an issue. Just say no .
Old 03-12-2007, 06:53 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

A couple of things to help, one is to make sure you have a way out if need be, drive your self, that way if your rear end catches on fire for a drink you can leave. Carry some AA phone numbers to call just in case.

Speak to who ever is handling the toast and let them know you want sparkling non-alcoholic wine or grape juice for all the toast, that wauy if there is any toasting go on you can participate and not be tempted to do the champagne.

I went to Christmas services with my inlaws and asked before the services if the wine was alcoholic, they said yes, I was not alone in not taking communion. It still amazes me how many churches do not offer non-alcoholic grape juice, I am sure Christ would understand.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:01 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Hush,

Hold your head up high and feel good about you! Be proud of yourself because you will be sober!!
Old 03-12-2007, 08:12 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hush...Going to a party?

Here are some ideas that kept me sober during social events...

Go late Leave early Take your own car.

Take a non drinking friend with you.

Carry your AA phone contacts to use if you get antsy.

Dance a lot.

Get your own drink and keep it with you.
A 7 up + Line looks alcoholic.

Smell before you drink...glasses do get switched.

When asked if you want a drink...
"No... this is fine..thanks"

No explanation are needed.
Sober people seldom push
Drunks won't remember or care

As it is a wedding dinner
if you turn your wine gllass upside down
the waiteer will know not to pour.

Have fun...
Old 03-12-2007, 10:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the support and the pointers! You guys/girls rock! Well,... I'm almost off so I'm gonna log out!

You all stay sober,... and see ya tomorrow!

Big hug

Philip
Old 03-12-2007, 10:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
let it grow!

we've got some family weddings coming up, and i know my daughter is a bit fearful of managing the alcohol. they will be mostly younger folks there, so it's going to be a big part of the receptions, i'm afraid.

my husband and i will not drink, as a way of supporting her. but all these ideas are great! thank you, k
Old 03-12-2007, 11:21 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
dum vita est spes est

Alright buddy,
You've got to let me know how it went so I can use your tips and whatnot to ward off St. Patty's day and later this month a trip to Vegas (that's going to be a true test for me).

Taz and Carol,
Awesome advice, this month is full of temptation, and I soaked it up. Good stuff.

Blessings,
PR
Old 03-12-2007, 12:00 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Bittersweet

Hi hush!
How was your sunday? I tried to make them tell us about their weekends in your "see you monday"-thread, i really tried! but they just wouldnt listen
Hope you have a nice weddingdinner a nice sober one.

Hugs
//minnie!
Old 03-13-2007, 01:42 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hey dudes and dudettes,

The wedding dinner went great! I stayed sober the whole evening. Ha!

When we arrived a waitress shoved a platter with champagne glasses under our noses (nothing else on it). My wife and I said no thanks so the waitress asked if we wanted anything else. We ordered a fruit juice and both got a wonderfull, freshly squeezed orange juice. So while the rest of the folks drank all that alcohol we actually got some vitamins.

We were seated at the "party table". So during dinner, everybody drank as much wine as they could. My wife and I were the only ones who drank water. But to my big surprise I had a great time without all the booze. There were 4 gay guys on our table and they would make the funniest remarks. They really were great guys! We laughed until tears ran down our faces.

After the dinner, we left, because we both had to work today. Hey! I could drive home myself. All these past years, my wife had to drive us home after parties. But not this time. It all came back to me now, I had forgotten how much I like to drive at night. The streets are calm and everything is so peaceful. I really enjoyed it.

As for tips PurpleReign, well,... I just said no, kept my head cool, focused on the coversations instead of the glasses on the table and made sure my waterglass was never empty. Thats about it.

So when I got up this morning, I did not have a hangover AND I could still remember every detail about the evening before. Nice! This staying sober stuff,... I'm really starting to like it!
Old 03-13-2007, 01:58 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Well Done! Another day of victory!
Yes..
Sobriety Rocks!
Old 03-13-2007, 02:52 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Hi Philip,

That is so great. I am so proud of you.

Thanks for this thread. Really good advice - practical stuff we can really use. And thanks for the ray of sunshine and hope.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:18 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Hush hold your head high brother, you have leaped a major hurdle this early in sobriety.

Keep in mind though, that the beast is right outside you door doing push ups right now!!! Remember the beast is cunning, baffling and powerful, he will actually try and use your success tonoight to convince you that you have tamed the beast and you now have control over him. He will convince you that "One drink can not hurt a thing!"

Smack that punk beast up side its head and tell it to crawl back into that pit of sewage it lives in!
Old 03-13-2007, 03:40 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Way to go Hush!!! I knew you could do it!

Taz, excellent point!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:53 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
dum vita est spes est

Thanks brotherman,
I'm definitely going to be using the ole 7up/Sprite with Lime trick - heck I'll drink tonic water if it means I stay sober.

Hush,
Great story - you're an inspiration.

I've been sober and starting to do everything I said I would do, so I think I'll delcare my sobriety day March 17th (St. Patty's Day), that will give me more ammunition when in Vegas (that one has me concerned this early in sobriety - but better to white-knuckle it than brown-bag it, right?)

Thanks for the great advice.
Gotta get back to work "Time to make the doughnuts..." as they say.

Blessings,
PR
Old 03-14-2007, 04:54 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Hope3

Nice job Hush, I had a similar experience, and was surprized

How much I laughed and gigled without drinking booze.

I enjoyed club soda with a splash of tonic and a wedge of lime...

It was very refreshing...

Hope3