Notices

Glorification of Alcohol Abuse in the UK

Old 03-04-2007, 05:03 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by GettinSober View Post
Tall + Hush,

Friday really is just another day. Remember it is the alcoholism that is telling you that 'weekends are meant to be fun and that fun = alcohol'. Once you realise that this voice is an enemy you don't listen to it anymore (like you wouldn't to any other enemy).

I'm only 4 days sober myself since my last slip so I'm no expert and this Friday will be my first in this sobriety period too but I'm absolutely determined to stay off the booze.

I got to 17 days not so long ago and I can't describe how good it felt - how clear my mind was and how proud I was of myself for changing my ways. I need (not want) - I NEED to feel that way again and for much, much longer. A boozy night in the town centre of the UK with drunk feral youths all milling around for a fight or a f**k (that's the way it is over here) doesn't appeal at all.

I'm for a night in with my guitar (which I'm trying to learn - I'm rubbish by the way but if I put as much time into it as I did into drinking I'll be Jimmy Hendrix before long!)

GS, you are right about the booze = fun thing. That is one thing I am constantly thinking. I have to do 'something' soon, how will I have fun without booze. But I did not drink this weekend and feel really good. A girlfriend and I are getting together in a few weeks, we usually drink a ton. I suggested we go out for dinner and that I drive. I do not ever drive after even one drink so this will keep me honest. Then I told her that I am 'on the wagon' as we say here and she didn't bat an eye, she said it would be fun for us to hang out and NOT drink. My jaw dropped. I'm now really looking forward to this dinner out.

PS - I'm sure you're not rubbish on the guitar..
Old 03-05-2007, 11:25 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

The weekend

The weekend went better than expected. That doesn't mean it was never difficult,... but not as difficult as I thought it would be. I did feel a little bit like something was missing but that's normal huh?!

Saturday evening my wife and I stayed home and watched some movies (Little miss sunshine, The Sentinel and Children of men). I drank a lot of diet coke and ate loads of snacks while watching all the stuff. Because I stayed sober I was able to watch all 3 movies.

Sunday I had to visit some friends. They were all drinking beer and wine (my favorites) but I had no problem saying no. I had fun nonetheless (I did not expect to make so much fun sober). I was proud that I could drive on the way back home. This was my first sober weekend in loads of years. When I got home we also watched 2 movies (My super ex-girlfriend and......When a man loves a woman). I did cry a lot during the second one (I recognized a lot of stuff in that movie )
Old 03-05-2007, 11:36 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hush, I'm so proud of you!! Think of where we were a week ago today, I felt broken, miserable, embarassed and on and on. Today, I feel happy, relaxed and determined!
Old 03-05-2007, 11:49 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Wink

Small milestones on the road to recovery. Just wait till you get to the next part!!