Notices

My outlook?

Old 02-24-2007, 07:48 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

My outlook?

I gave a guy a ride home from a speakers meeting last night and as we pulled into his drive I told him that I had just recently had the feeling that the world was a much better place lately, but I knew that the world had not improved, I had!

Ethan looked at me and said you know you just described in words what I have been feeling here lately and did not say anything because I did not think any one could relate to what I was saying.

Ethan has been coming to AA for about a month or a little bit more and it does my heart good to see how far he has come, I only have 5 months and my growth scares me. Any how I am now rambling, I shared with him that the longer he is sober the more changes he will see for the better and I reminded him that he is not alone any longer and when thoughts like that pop in his head to share them with a fellow alkie, he will be pleasantly surpirsed to learn that many of us do experience things in sobreity that normal people never do because for them, what is new for us, is such old hat for them they are not even aware of it.

What things around you have you all seen for the first time in your sobriety that was there all along but due to drinking you never noticed?

I have a lot of other thnings, all of them good, but the above is where I am at right now! LOL
Old 02-24-2007, 08:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Taz, I just posted something in my thread and then saw this thread so I will post it here too.

I think the best thing I am experiencing is that I am relaxed, it is kind of part of the 'long night of the soul' that led me to quitting. It had a spiritual dimension too, I had so much fear I just let it go and since that I feel properly relaxed perhaps for the first time in my life.

I think I could have explained it better but my brain isn't working atm.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:42 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Another great thread, Taz...

I've noticed a sense of introspective clarity. Where I used to obsess (for instance, about exes, or my failures as a drunk, etc), I now think of the present and future in a positive light. What I used to fear (for instance, being alone in my mid-40's, losing my business, etc), I now embrace as welcome challenges. Where I used to have self-doubt (I'll NEVER get in shape, I'm too lazy to change things, etc), I now have the confidence that is reminscent of what made me a successful entrepreneur (among other accomplishments) in the first place.

Even today: I had only about five hours sleep, I have a miserable cold coming on, and I have at least a 12 hour work-day in front of me. As a drunk, I would wallow in self-pity and treat my cold with a bottle of brandy (and vodka, and beer). Today, I'm going to nap, get some fresh air, and carry through my day. At the end of the day, I'll feel great about myself for having stayed sober. I'm also completely on board with what Stone said, above!

Earl
Old 02-24-2007, 08:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

That's reminded me Earl, I usually obsess about past mistakes and bad memories but lately I have been thinking of the present and the future. It is still early days for me I know but I am already getting these positive things happening.
Old 02-24-2007, 10:15 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

For me, the serenity prayer comes to mind. I feel like my sobriety has given me the wisdom to know the difference between things I can change (my own thoughts and actions) and those I cannot change (everything else). This has always been true, but until recently I was unable to fully accept things that I couldn't change. Granted, I am not yet in a place where full acceptance comes naturally to me. I have, however, made huge strides in this area and can at least identify some of my incorrect thinking and change it.
kp
Old 02-24-2007, 02:06 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Smile Great Question TAZ

What I've noticed more in Soberville, is the sunrise. I think I was so busy looking for my early AM bottle, that I had no time for silly sunrises. Now I see the sunrise on my way to AA (Dawn Patrol Group) A year ago I would have thought this post to be UN-MANLY, but I feel more manly now than ever before...... Thanks for letting me SHARE............NED
Old 02-24-2007, 02:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Becoming a Butterfly

Taz, I just wanted you to know that I've noticed your sunny outlook and fearless honesty about your past drinking. You are really on the right track. I have a good feeling about you
Old 02-24-2007, 04:50 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

This has really made me think, Taz; great thread. I reckon that I'm beginning -only beginning mind- to notice the value of all other things around me, such as my home, my friends & colleagues and family as well as the weather and other little things. Before, nothing was as important or could match up to the anticipation of that drinking session but now that's gone, so many other things have an importance that I had overlooked for a very long time. Like Earl, I have sometimes enjoyed just a nap in the afternoons. They make me feel very relaxed.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:09 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Tazman - I love your posts!
One time, I must have been sober about six months, I was riding the train in Boston, and was filled with gratitude. I nearly started crying I was so happy. As the train pulled out of the station, I looked out the window and marvelled at a view of the city that I had never noticed before. No surprise there, however. I had gotten on the wrong train.
Sober is better.
Mike in Boston
Old 02-24-2007, 09:56 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

"..Our whole attitude and outlook on life will change....."
Old 02-24-2007, 10:10 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Thanks for the htread Taz. Sobriety has changed me 1000 times over. Now I look at the mirror every morning and I sdon't see puffy eyes and a depressed face. Great!
Old 02-25-2007, 04:09 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
let it grow!

This is a great thread, Taz - thanks. It speaks to all the newcomers who fear what the perceive/feel they will "lose" by not drinking (friends, social lives, etc) VS the truth - what is gained in sobriety. I understand it takes awhile to feel the gratitude, but boy - it sure is worth it. Blessings, K
Old 02-25-2007, 12:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Thansk to those who complimented me, but I can take no credit, I give all that to God & AA.

Parentrecovers yiou are right, I am still a newbie, but one that is blessed far more then I fell I deserve, I can remember wandering "What in the world am I going to do without drinking to fill my time.

I quickly figured out that what was going to take the palce of drinking.... LIFE!

I was amazed at how much of the beauty of life drinking blinded me to, flowers in the median strip, the stars, the breeze, the smell in the breeze, the oleasure of just seeing and smelling the world, the sounds in it.

The goodness of my fellow man, emotions that had been hidden with booze, feeling love, being loved.