Notices

Rain in my Heart

Old 06-08-2010, 09:36 AM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Seeing this has strengthened my resolve not to drink again, made me grateful that despite drinking heavily for over thirty years I am not yet ill, and scared me that I may already have damaged my liver such that these sorts of symptoms might arise in the future. If anyone is contemplating drinking again, he or she should certainly see this film first. I saw all kinds of stuff when I was in treatment, but nothing like this: not close.
Old 06-17-2010, 05:42 AM
  # 42 (permalink)  
Living on a prayer

I bookmarked the link a while back and sat this morning and watched all 10 parts plus the follow up. I paused in the middle of one of the clips to make coffee, literally snapped the lid of the creamer trying to open it and realized I was really shook up from watching this. Definitely an eye opener to what we as alcoholics do to ourselves and how bleak the outlook is if we don't STOP drinking and take care of ourselves.
Old 06-20-2010, 04:48 AM
  # 43 (permalink)  
New to Real Life

WOW. What a fantastic and powerful documentary to watch. Thanks so much to the OP.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:01 AM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Another bump.
Strengthen your resolve.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:34 AM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I watched this a couple of days ago, wow, it had me in tears, shock, and speechless at the same time. It's horrifying to see what it can do to the person and their loved ones.

Chugging and throwing it back up, slow, painful suicide, yet at times we choose to ignore all that and continue drinking.
Old 09-10-2010, 10:51 AM
  # 46 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Holy hell, that was absolutely unnerving to watch. I just watched all 10, and I am appalled at what alcohol can reduce your life to. Can anyone tell me where to find the follow up? I clicked on a link someone posted, but couldnt get it. I'm really curious to see the end of it.
Old 09-10-2010, 12:08 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

I am going to watch this, but I am scared, it sounds terrifying.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:01 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

It's pretty bad. I have been watching it on and off today when I have a few minutes. It's harrowing, gross, and, even worse, real.

I just watched first ten parts of it. I never could find a follow up.
Old 09-10-2010, 01:49 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

I think the follow up is called "Boozenight". Try that.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:12 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  

I was able to watch it on BBC. What I saw was mostly a recap of the Rain in My Heart, but at least my curiosity was sated.
Old 09-10-2010, 02:19 PM
  # 51 (permalink)  
Grateful Member

Dang it, I can't get it. It says I have to have some internet plug in crap. Someone tell me what the follow up said about the two that were left!!!!!!!!!

lildawg????????????

Anyone????????????
Old 09-10-2010, 02:38 PM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Julez, if you'll look below the screen, there's a clickable option that says something to the effect of "Launch in another player." I clicked that, and it opened right up in windows media player.

I hate to give spoilers in this thread. If you just don't want to fool with watching it or can't get it to work, shoot me a PM, and I'll tell you what happened.
Old 09-10-2010, 08:06 PM
  # 53 (permalink)  

Made it to section 6...having problems with my video feed...thankfully. I wish they had shown this video to me in High School (okay it hadn't been made then but something like it) I would never have had a single drink in my life I don't think.

I don't think it should be illegal but everyone who drinks should examine their conscience and how their money supports this industry. I figure I've spent about $200k on alcohol in my life...I wish I had given that money instead to help people whose lives have been ruined by this drug.
Old 09-10-2010, 09:06 PM
  # 54 (permalink)  

Chilling.
Old 09-11-2010, 06:09 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

thanks, great video.
Old 09-11-2010, 07:37 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Thanks for posting--wow, did this take me back to when my second husband was in the hospital. He looked exactly like those people. If you noticed, even when they were not drinking, they were often confused and made no sense. That's what hepatic encephalopathy does--the liver failure raises the level of ammonia in the blood and it's exactly like dementia. My ex was just like someone with Alzheimer's for months after he got out of the hospital. He couldn't remember something you told him moments ago, couldn't follow simple instructions, etc.

I did find it odd that there was not a single mention of AA in the entire film. I know it was focused on the medical treatment of alcoholism, but some people have made it into AA from the hospital and have recovered. I wonder how Nigel was able to stay sober all those years before he succumbed to his liver disease. I also wonder how Mark was able to recover in the end, and wonder whether he stayed sober.
Old 09-11-2010, 08:40 AM
  # 57 (permalink)  

I remember the narrator(?) Talking about how the doctors wished the patients received pyschological help while they were in the hospital...because they were sober there and able to understand some of what they were doing to themselves.

I would be curious how a similar hospital in the U.S. would be...
Old 09-11-2010, 09:01 AM
  # 58 (permalink)  

Great video

I would hate to be the doctor for that ward. Watching the self destruction over and over again.
Old 09-11-2010, 09:10 AM
  # 59 (permalink)  

I watched the 10 parts.
Couldn't find the follow up and the rest of the story and the outcomes.
Old 09-13-2010, 04:46 AM
  # 60 (permalink)  

The follow up.
BBC News Player - Revisiting Rain in my Heart

Best.