Notices

My January

Old 02-06-2007, 01:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Thumbs up My January

Hi
Its been a while since I posted, but everytime i wanna drink I pop in and read the inspirational stories.
January was my best month for not drinking in 7.5 years.
I only drank 4 times and I feel great.

The goal for this month is anything less than that.

Your pal,
SportsGuy

P.S.
I felt like drinking today, but I decided to spend the next hour or so just reading posts.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:45 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Glad to hear the number of times you drank is down, how much did you drink when you did?
Old 02-06-2007, 02:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Thanks Tazman.
Before January, the longest I was sober was for 4 days in the last 7.5 years.
But I realized that I'm young and I have sooooooo many goals and dreams in my life and the only thing that kept holding me back was the booze.
Slowly I know i'm going to beat this addiction.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Sportguy alcoholism is a progressive disease, if you are an alcoholic as long as you drink the disease is going to get worse, it will never get better. The only way for an alcoholic to stop the progression of thier disease is total abstinance. Every time an alcoholic drinks thier disease gets harder to control.

If an alcoholic did not drink for 10 years and started to drink again their disease picks up right where it left off ten years before, and usually gets worse with a vengance. This is something that so many alcoholics do not understand until some times it is to late for them to regain sobriety.
Old 02-06-2007, 04:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

It is better to stop now and go sober. As the time passes it will be harder for you to give up the habit. Good Luck and congratulations on your cutting down.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:22 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

SportsGuy,
Without negating your accomplishment, I will have to echo the sentiments of others. The fact that you have realized the negative consequence of drinking and the difficulty you have had (only been able to have 4 days of sobriety previously) combined with your belief that it is something you can control or desperately want to control rather than just give it up is problematic thinking. Do you not see the hold it has on you? You don't want to give it up...you want to hold on to it any way you can even though if ya thought about it...a life without alcohol would give you all your dreams.

The alcoholic's need or desperate quest to moderate because we can't part with our beloved crutch is one of the best indicators of alcoholism.

Alcohol will desecrate your life...as it has millions of others. Why gamble? Why play with fire? It will burn your whole house down.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Dude-

Like others said, it always gets worse - never better. You are playing with fire.

I've gone 4 months sober on my own, fooling myself that I can finally control it and started up again... It has been a horrible experience.. My drinking was out of control and I am once again doing the sober thing.

All the best.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
KJJ

You've only drank that much in 7.5 years? 4 times? if that's true and you have that much willpower over alcohol, u are in the minority. or just in January did you dirnk that much? Here I am quizzing you, sry, just not trying to fool myself, and when you really WANT the drink, well you know the feeling.

Non-alkies would LIKE to have a drink..Alkies HAVE TO HAVE IT. And at the SuperBowl party I was at, once the alcohol was gone, even fefore the game ended, people left to go elsewhere to get more booze, so left a good Super Bwl game to get alcohol. And I was one of them

Last edited by KJJ; 02-06-2007 at 03:07 PM. Reason: ADDING
Old 02-06-2007, 03:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi SG...it's good to see you are moving towards
a sober lofe.
Keep your focus and you can win!