Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

This thread prompted me to do some head counting
Here is the link...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ml#post1182760

Thanks for a gratitude boost!
Old 01-22-2007, 03:42 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

If a person, say , in middle age quit drinking for their remaining 30 or 40 years and never drank again, knowing full well that even one drink would put them right back where they were, could they call themselves cured?
IMO no, there is no cure known to science, there are those who go through heavy drinking periods in thier lifes and then simply grew up and moderated thier drinking, the primary difference between an alcoholic and a normal person is that once they have crossed a certain line in the progression of their disease an alcoholic develops a physical craving for another drink once they have had one drink, no matter how many years of sobriety they have, a normal person no matter how heavy or how long they have drank never develops the physical craving after one drink an alcoholic does.

Congrats on 19 days Marius, you sound as though you a kind of working the AA program, keep it up.

Carol sounds to me as though you are a "recovered" alcoholic, I have had the urge/need to drink lifted myself, sometimes I am "recovered", sometimes I am a "recovering" alcoholic, I still on occasion think "Hey I need to stop and get some beer because I am going to see so and so." I actually laugh at the thought, but it does remind me that I have a ways to go. I am very happy and over 95% of the time would say I live in serenity.
Old 01-23-2007, 09:04 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I just had the weirdest dream. I have not even thought about alcohol that much today but I just spent what seemed like an eternity trapped in a dream where it was a saturday night and I wanted to get drunk. I kept telling myself in the dream that it would be ok. That one more night of drinking wouldn't change anything. You know that feeling u get when your consumed with thoughts of alcohol. That feeling of "omg, and drink would be so,so good right now!"....well, I'm here to tell ya, it feels the same in a dream as in real life, lol.

On the bright side, in my dream I ended up making the right choice and not drinking. This is good. I would hate to have a guilty conceince over a dream right now, heheh.
Old 01-24-2007, 03:39 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

marius a guy shared at a meeting who has like 8 or 9 years sober that he had recently had a dream similar to yours, he said it was weird but some where along the line he figured out he was dreaming and figured "What the heck, it is a dream... why not?" He picked up in his dream and said he immediatly felt like hell. That was a dream.
Old 01-24-2007, 05:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I've been drunk as a skunk in dreams. As I woke, I thought "damn, I'll have to reset my sobriety date and start all over. THen fully awake, I realize it was all a dream.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:11 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Well, I gave myself a good laugh today and thought I'd share some of my alcoholic alter-ego's twisted logic....

Here it goes the ultimate rationalization for drinking "I'm an alcoholic, ofcorse its ok to drink thats what alcoholics do!"

Weird how when u can put a label on yourself you want to try and use that label as an excuse....I'm sure I am far from the first person to think about it this way, hehe.

BTW, I didnt drink.....just thought about it, and the feeling passed rather quickly and i got on with my life.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:58 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

So, today is my 30th day sober. yay for me, lol. This is the longest I have gone with out a drink in quite some time and I don't see myself drinking again,ever.

Well, on second thought if a doctor was to tell me I had 3 months to live I would live it up for the next 120 days with my pal Jim Beam.

Or maybe one day when I am like 80 years old kickin it in my rocking chair and just don't give a crap about living any more I will crack open a bottle.

Or....welll.....you get the point. As long as I feel I have something worth living for I am gonna be living sober.

I did not envoke the magic powers of a HP to get 30 days sober I just used my willpower and determination. But just in case the Almighty was watching my back and helping me on the downlow I should prolly give props.

So...Here's to YOU Mr. Flying Spagetti Monster!!! you da man!
Old 01-31-2007, 04:46 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Congrats on the 30. Nice work. Keep it up. You sound like you are in pretty high spirits, so keep doing what you're doing. Remember that if you are ever feeling down and need support, you have places to find it (this website being one).
Old 01-31-2007, 05:09 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

How do I get a piece of the Spagetti Monster??

Congrats on the 30 days!!

TinLizzy
Old 01-31-2007, 05:55 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

marius404.....
Old 01-31-2007, 06:36 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Knucklehead

Originally Posted by marius404 View Post
I did not envoke the magic powers of a HP to get 30 days sober I just used my willpower and determination. But just in case the Almighty was watching my back and helping me on the downlow I should prolly give props.

So...Here's to YOU Mr. Flying Spagetti Monster!!! you da man!
LOL!

He may have lent a helping noodle...

Either way... 30 days is slammin', G!

Old 01-31-2007, 06:37 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
not a greeter

30 days is da bomb... you da man !!!