Notices

What was the last thing...

Old 01-10-2007, 08:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What was the last thing...

You learned about you?

I learned I'm so afraid of rejection, that if I can help it, I avoid asking people for anything.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:27 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober and Free

I learned that I am afraid to show emotional conflict, afraid of the confrentation involved...afraid I am not worthy of having an opinion or a choice all of my own.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:29 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
I learned that it's OK to have feelings for another person, and that emotional pain can be caused by fear. It feels good to care about someone again, and it feels safe this time.
Old 01-10-2007, 08:34 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Nuudawn View Post
You learned about you?

I learned I'm so afraid of rejection, that if I can help it, I avoid asking people for anything.
I learned that I need to come here more often! I slipped yesterday and drank 2 beers. Without hearing from other alcoholics, it's damned easy to forget that I AM one.

Good thread!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

At the beginning of my A's road to Sobriety- I thought I would nag him a lot, and constantly badger. But I have learned that I am able to let him take these steps on his own and make his own choices, and I can still live my own life without worrying about everything he does. Ihave learned that I was able to detach, but at the same time still be supportive! It's amazing- i never thought I would be able to do those things... ANd for that I really am proud of my self!
Old 01-10-2007, 08:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

LOL Well the last thing I learned was Monday evening working step one with my sponsor, he pointed out that I am in way to deep about paying way to much attention to detail, as a result I bury the most important points in among all the details. Kind of like instead of picking the aples of of the tree I am trying to take the whole tree!

In other words I can be a little anal!
Old 01-10-2007, 09:07 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Originally Posted by TouchTheMirror View Post
I learned that I need to come here more often! I slipped yesterday and drank 2 beers. Without hearing from other alcoholics, it's damned easy to forget that I AM one.

Good thread!
Tim...

Hey you had a slip, something that can happen to any of us at any time. You picked yourself up and got back on the trail, thats what's important!!!

Don't forget about it, but don't dwell on it either. Just think about a sober today...

Stay Strong and Positive friend...

On 15 November, I realized that after 35 years of thinking I knew it all and had all the answer's, I didn't...

Amazing what you see when you look deep inside yourself...

One day at a time.

Steve

Old 01-10-2007, 09:24 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I learned I am powerless over negative self-talk (telling myself I can't do something that I know perfectly well I CAN), and I have to hand that obsession over to my Higher Power, too, just as if it were another addiction.
Old 01-10-2007, 09:59 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

I have re-learned (yet again!) that I can't fix other people. May it be a lesson that sticks!

Peace & Love,
Sugah
Old 01-10-2007, 10:21 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Gold Member

I'v learned I can face everything and recover.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I will listen to others opinions with respect
and then make my own.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Im not crazy and neither am I

I learned that helping others makes me REALLY happy and that I have alot to share.
My recovery is really going well this time and I am quite happy about my life as a result.

All good things in all good Time.
Jerry Garcia
"Run For the Roses"
Old 01-10-2007, 02:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I found tonight that you can be sailing along with a smile on your face, because you haven't had a drink in ages, and then one trigger (visual, emotional, personal) can set you thinking about drinking for HOURS. Luckily I resisted but it really was a 51% - 49% call. I could easily be drunk right now.

So I learned (as I'm new at this sobriety lark) never to take recovery for granted.
Old 01-10-2007, 02:44 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

That I assume others motives, and love to play the victim.
Old 01-10-2007, 03:10 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Hope3

I've learned that dealing with problems instead of numbing them with alcohol is less painful over time and I feel much better feeling the pain of the problem and soberly finding solutions to that problem.

Before I would have a drink and say I'll think about that tommorrow, well.................. tommorrow I felt like crap and the only thing that would make me feel better was another drink........ viscious, viscious cycle.
Old 01-10-2007, 07:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I can cry! I know it's weird, but I've wanted to for a long time. I'm working my 4th step...even though it's painful, it's such a wonderful release. The harder I working this program, the lighter I feel.
Old 01-10-2007, 10:27 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I've learned that I am not very good at listening to other people. I like them to think I'm listening, but I'm often thinking about what I am going to say next. I am self involved, and I love to talk. I often obsess over what I will say....in order to impress others. My pride makes me think I'm right all the time. I love being a "show off", and my false pride can run rampant into full blown delusions of grandiour. My feelings get hurt when I don't impress others.
chip