Notices

Hello....my first post.

Old 01-05-2007, 11:39 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello....my first post.

My name is Kelly. This is a HUGE step for me as I have been in denial for years. I will try to sum up my story but I am in quite a fog as I type this. I am 32 years old and started drinking when I was 14. I have always liked to drink and have always been a "partier." The only times in my life I havent drank were when I was pregnant with my two children. I never thought of myself as an alcoholic, but knew I had "issues" with alcohol. I also suffer from mild depression, anxiety, and social phobia which I think all contributed to my wanting to drink....I liked myself better when I had a little drink in me. I am married to my high school sweetheart and we are the best of friends, but my drinking almost ruined my marriage many times...(me wanting to party, affairs, just general lack of respect for him) He comes from a very stable and healthy family and has no issues of addiction of any kind. We have grown up and our marriage is finally at a stable place, but I am really concerned about the affect alcohol has had on my body. I have never been a daily drinker, just more of a 2-4 (usually 2) day a week binge drinker. I decided many times that I could drink, but only have 2 MAYBE drinks at a time, 2-3 days a week, which USUALLY I do okay with, but then I go on my binges like I did last month. I drank two of the big bottles of Rum (1.5 liters I think) between the 10th and 31th of December. My husband is quite upset with me and I know the reason I was doing it was because my New Years Resolution was to cut back....After that binge, I told myself that I needed to do more than "cut back" for awhile, so I set a 30 day goal for myself. I still am taking it day to day, but 30 days is my goal. When I reach that 30 days, I am hoping that I have had alot of realizations and am feeling better to a point that I will know how good life without alcohol can be. I dont remember going for more than 5 days since I have been 14 (other than being prego like I said) I dont have any doubts I will make my 30 day goal as I think I drink more out of boredom and habit than physical addiction, or atleast I thought...until now on day 5, I am going through some withdrawls. It started yesterday and I thought it was just the flu, but my DH made a "joke" this morning about it being alcohol withdrawls, and I think he may be right. I am just VERY tired and foggy with headaches and maybe a little shaky. I just feel off. I have no desire to drink though so I think I will be fine, just is kind of a wake up call for me.
A few questions I have:
-how long did all your withdrawl symptoms last? Luckily, we just moved and I have not gone back to work yet so I dont have to be on my toes while I go through this...I just want to feel good so I can enjoy my first weekend without alcohol.
-How did you all function in society when you were heavy drinkers? I swear, I can not connect thoughts for anything. I used to think I was a pretty smart person but now I always feel like the "dumbest" one in the room. I am always just so out of it!

Anyways, I really am in a really bad fog and my head is pounding so I think I will close right now. I am feeling like I need ANOTHER nap. That is all I want to do the past 2 days. I look forward to coming out of my fog and partaking in this board more. Thank you all for such a wonderful place for people to come to seek help. Maybe someday I can be that person to offer help.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:51 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Weirdly I never experienced the symptoms you describe at the 5 day mark. Maybe I have suffered a little on night one with sweats and poor sleep but not what you describe at all.

That said I had EXACTLY the symptoms you describe when I gave up smoking in 2002. I was foggy headed and sleepy for about a week. Maybe it's just another way of the body 'feeling' as it gets rid of a certain poison?
Old 01-05-2007, 12:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Hi Kelly Welcome!

When you feel up to it..read the top
2 sticky post on this page.

De Tox Tips..
Take aspirin for aches..hard candy for shakes
eat a soft diet..cut out caffine
Drink plenty of water to flush your system.

Usually de tox takes 3/4 days.
Then we can talk about social situations.

Take care of yourself..
Old 01-05-2007, 01:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Kelly,

Welcome to the forum. You'll find a lot of wonderful people here with some great advice or broad shoulders when you need them. I applaud you for recognizing that you might have a problem and taking steps to get a handle on it. I knew a long time ago that I had a problem with alcohol, so I wasn't ever really in denial... I just either didn't want to quit bad enough or I never felt strong enough. I think when it got to the point that it was all I could think about, I really knew the time had come.

Good luck to you!
Old 01-05-2007, 01:22 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Kelly, welcome.

De-tox is different for everyone. The major symptoms lasted over a week for me. 73 days in, I still get fatigue and insomnia at times.

Do you have a recovery plan for after de-tox ? I did impatient twice without one, and was back to drinking heavily in a very short period of time. It was only after I started attending AA that the drink problem was removed.
Old 01-05-2007, 02:43 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Kelly! After drinking almost daily for a year and a half I have also just started "a month off (to see)". I wasn't an extreme drinker but it was not unusual for me to drink a bottle of wine over the course of a night, starting earlier and drinking more on the weekends. I am also on Day 5 and so far it hasn't been as bad as I thought. I had a few strange nights sleep where I woke up all hot and sweaty and restless and I have gone through some really crazy emotions during the day but it seems to be getting better rather than worse. I also seem to have a bit of a cold.

It is also my first weekend without alcohol in a long long time and I am hoping that somehow I will be blessed with a long refreshing sleep. At least we know we won't be waking up all scuzzy and hungover, eh?

Anyway, all the best. This is a good place to come. I have been lurking here for a while but have really only just 'begun'. XXX
Old 01-05-2007, 11:17 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome Kelly.

I'm glad you found us. The worst of the detox will be over soon. Hang in there!! Please keep us posted.

I hope you have a nice sleep tonight, and a sober morning. Stick with SR...you are not alone.
chip
Old 01-05-2007, 11:19 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Broccoli-
Thanks for sharing with us. You are very helpful for Kelly, and it's good to share your experiences with us. Keep posting, and congrats on your sober time.
chip
Old 01-06-2007, 12:03 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi Kelly. Welcome to SoberRecovery.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:16 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Rest, water and more rest supplemented by good food and vitamins will clear up that foggy feeling. It takes time girl, just take it one day at a time and be easy on yourself. Taking away the alcohol did make me feel dopey and slow for a while, then I cleared up and now I am truly back to my intelligent, intellectual self.

Hope that helps.

Peace, Levi