Notices

Just a thank you

Old 01-05-2007, 08:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just a thank you

Just wanted to say thank you to the people who post here. I've been reading some of these threads the last few days and it gives me hope knowing I'm far from alone dealing with all the crazyness of being an alcoholic.

This time around I am 4 days sober so far after a horrible new years eve binge. I plan on staying sober this time.

I never wanna have to tell myself it's time to quit again.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome Marius404,
Nice not to be alone. Keep posting and more will come. Think about AA.
Old 01-05-2007, 08:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

It's great to see a new member...
Welcome to SR!

Please let us know if you have questions
or need help.
Congratulations on your fresh start!
Old 01-05-2007, 11:31 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

You are not alone. Keep reaching out. You can do this!
Old 01-05-2007, 11:43 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome Marius,

The good news is that you don't have to drink anymore. You can be free of this obsession. What are your plans for recovery? Have you thought about any recovery programs?

Congrats on your 4 days of sobriety. If you really want to stay sober, you can. It won't be easy, but it will be a marvelous journey of growth and healing. You don't have to be alone anymore either. There are many of us who have suffered from this disease. We can help eachother. We help each other stay sober.

Guess what? You've helped me stay sober. Writing this note to you is part of my personal recovery. I am an alcoholic, and I can't drink anymore. I find hope in communicating with other people who are in the same boat. We are like surviviours of a shipwreck, hanging on to a liferaft.....

Keep posting on SR. How are you feeling right now?
chip
Old 01-06-2007, 03:31 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I think I lucked out in a weird way. The last time I was drinking I put my body through so much hell that I've come down with a cold. This way I don't feel like going out to party.

I have been depressed since I quit, but thats nothing new.Anytime I stop drinking be it for a week or a day I can always count on some good ol' depression.

For me, the trap comes when I start feeling good about myself again. Thats when the mind games start. When I begin to tell myself hey, it will be ok your fine now, why not go have a few drinks, you don't have to get stupid drunk, just have a few. Thats were it gets me. Luckly I don't think those thoughts will come this weekend.

I've been strong before. I have quit for 6 months before.I thought I had won. Alcohol has controled me for 10 years now and I'm only 26. When I was in the army I was called the functional Alcoholic by my friends. I took it as a compliment back then.

Well, I don't want to be a functional alcoholic, I want to be me. I was the happiest I've been in my life when I quit for half a year. I want that back.

I WON'T DRINK AGAIN!
Old 01-06-2007, 10:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lot of colds here lately

Good Luck, and keep coming back ! Lot's of good sobriety here.
Old 01-06-2007, 10:22 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by marius404 View Post
When I was in the army I was called the functional Alcoholic by my friends. I took it as a compliment back then.

Well, I don't want to be a functional alcoholic, I want to be me. I was the happiest I've been in my life when I quit for half a year. I want that back.

I WON'T DRINK AGAIN!
That was what my husband said about me for at least 5 years before I quit.

Sobriety is better! Congrats on your sober time and on your determination! With determination and an open mind it can be done! I had 1 year on the 14th, one day at a time.
Old 01-06-2007, 12:38 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

At work today I started to get that itch. That voice in the back of my head that starts off so quiet and innocent at first. No harm, no foul, but boy wouldn't a drink be good right now. At this point its just an idea, thats all.Surely its ok just to imagine having a drink. That nice tall whiskey and coke. Boy would it go down smooth and the cigarette after would just be icing on the cake.

Thats how it starts. Next comes the rationalizing. My brain, or the alcoholic part of it forms an idea. All the sudden I am flooded with justification for why it will be ok to go ahead and drink tonight. After all just a few drinks won't hurt. How many other people have plans to go out tonight and kick back a few? If its ok for them why not me?

Ofcourse, I'm wise to these mind games and see them for what they are. Sometimes I can laugh it off. Other times I go down the list of reasons in my head why I can't drink. I remind myself of all the stuff that happens when I drink, the stuff that I can't bare to go through anymore.

It always comes down to the crucial moment when I am at the stop light.If I turn left I go to the liquor store. Right takes me home.

Today I laughed and turned right, went home.

It got me thinking about all the silly lies people come up with to drink again. So for fun I thought I would start a list.

1. Just one more night of fun can't hurt. You can quit again tomorow.
2. Your friends are gonna be expecting you at the bar tonight don't wanna disapoint.
3. I didn't really quit on a high note, I want my last time drinking to be a memorable experience.
4. Today at work was too much, I deserve a drink or two
5. If I am going out on a date I need a couple of drinks to relax otherwise she will never like me.
6. My friend is comming in from out of town. Since its a special occation it will be alright to go ahead and drink again, just this once.
7. What about holidays? Surely its harmless to drink on them they don't count against you, right?
8. I feel so good about myself I am back in control, a couple of drinks won't change that.
9. I can't do this, I'm just to weak. It's not my fault I was born this way.
10. What about just drinking some good wine with dinner? Thats not getting drunk thats just enjoying a good meal.

Well thats a good start. I imagine the list could go on forever. Anyone else got some good ones? What lies do you tell yourself?

I'm sober today and I am staying that way. Hope everyone else here has a great weekend and stays strong too
Old 01-06-2007, 01:37 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Originally Posted by marius404 View Post
Well thats a good start. I imagine the list could go on forever. Anyone else got some good ones?
11. It was never really that bad.
12. Even if was that bad, I would never let it get that bad again.
13. Other people's experiences going back out don't apply to me because I'm the different one - I'm the one for whom the rules of addiction don't apply.
Old 01-06-2007, 02:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Marius,
One day at a time, my friend. Sometimes I slow it down to one minute or hour by hour...

Keep yourself busy, and keep fighting off those alcoholic thoughts. When I have a thought like that, I tell it "go bug someone else, I can't drink".

This disease is crazy, eh?? It's the only disease which will trick your mind into thinking everything is ok when things are crumbling down all around.
14. I can drink again, it will be different now that I've had some clean time. I've really been working on myself during this sober period, and I'm sure I won't make the same mistakes again. It will be like it used to be....innocent...fun. I can learn how to be a normal drinker.

15. I will stay away from beer. Beer was my downfall. I will only have one shot of whiskey, and sip it slowly.

B.S.

Peace be with you,
chip
Old 01-06-2007, 02:51 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

16. I don't need AA meetings cause I am not an
alcoholic...I am a drunk. Drunks drink.
Old 01-06-2007, 06:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Coffee Drinker

I find that if I start thinking about a drink, attending an aa meetings makes it go away completely. Just a suggestion
Old 01-06-2007, 06:31 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Rinnie's Grandpa

Marius...

Welcome to SR...

Keep making that Right Turn!!!

One day at a time.

Steve

Old 01-06-2007, 06:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

17. It is fun going to Jail. Again and again and again etc.
Old 01-06-2007, 07:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

18. The bottles in the grocery store are so sparkly, and mesmerizing,... almost like diamonds... (I don't walk thru that row anymore)

Nice to know I'm not alone and that ya'll know my BS...
Old 01-06-2007, 09:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Hey Marius, welcome to SR. so glad to have you. I hope and know you can find all of the experience strength and hope you need to stay sober here.

Peace, Levi
Old 01-06-2007, 09:17 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Thank you to everybody who has posted and made me feel so welcome here. I really think these forums are gonna help me stay focused. I don't talk to my family and friends about my drinking problems. If someone was to tell my family that I am an alcoholic they would probably think it was a joke or something. I have a hard time admitting I'm weak or that I need help. Seems it's alot easier to talk to people over the internet that are going through the same stuff.And it helps. It makes it so that it doesn't feel like me against the world.

I am getting ready to call it a night, so I have made it through day five. I love the fact that for the first time in a long time I am off work tomorow and I won't be hungover.It almost feels weird waking up normal in the morning. Thanks again for the kind words and support.

Stay strong
Old 01-06-2007, 09:20 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Marius, you might be surprised how many people that you know and love that already know or suspect you have a drinking problem. I used to think no one knew or could tell... not quite true... actually not even close, thanks to one person everyone knew... that was actually a good thing, I didn't have to pretend anymore.

Peace, Levi