Notices

I have so many questions!

Old 01-04-2007, 08:43 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I have so many questions!

I'm not new here...I am a recovering speed freak! But...now the question at hand is my best friend. He is an alcholic. He know that he is. He was just released form prison for vehicular assalt. Long story short...he almost killed his-self and on of our friends driving completley bombed one night. He has been out since September of last year. There are times when he does really well and doesn't drink, but, then there are the times that when he does he completley goes off the deep-end! I've tried the whole tough-love thing with him and that just seems to make it worse. I am not an alcohlic...so I don't know what kind of advice to give him to help him out. I have told him about this site, and let him know how much it has helped me. But then I grt the exuse of limited internet access that he has. It seems to be one excuse or another with him...(which I know all too well..)I just don't know what to do or to tell him to NOT see him go back to prison. He now has the attitude of "I've been to prison...and I survived...so I'm not affraid to go back" and that drives me crazy!!! And it's only cuz I love him soo much, and am now very worried about him! So...any advice that you can give me to help him will be GREATLY be taken to heart!Please help me before I loose him!
Old 01-04-2007, 08:50 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

I suggest you attend Al anon meetings
for yourself.
That is a good place for you to
learn how to deal with alcoholics.

Take care
Old 01-04-2007, 09:51 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Originally Posted by lindee29 View Post
He now has the attitude of "I've been to prison...and I survived...so I'm not afraid to go back"
No insanity there for sure. NOT

Greetings lindee29,

Since you are in recovery, you probably know that there is no end to the denial, rationalizations, and lies for an addict who wants to keep using. Alcoholism is not different than other drug addictions in this respect. Alcohol is a drug. Same rules apply.

But it is a different set of problems dealing with a person in active addiction as opposed to being a person in active addiction. Alanon is a great suggestion. Also the Family and Friends area here on SoberRecovery.

Please be careful of your recovery. It has to come first.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I second that, guard your recovery and do not let this friend pull you down into his mess. It doesn't sound like he is ready. You may need to disengage from him.

Peace, Levi
Old 01-07-2007, 01:32 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

thankjs

my recovery is not what I am worried about...I've worked too hard and too long to mess up now... But I am worried about him...I'm not sure thatdis-engaging myself from him will help him...I truely believe that it will make it worse for him...thank you for your answers to my questions&for your advice...Lindee