Notices

Who is happy now that they are sober?

Old 12-18-2006, 07:49 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
L'il fighter

Been sober almost 3 months....that's the longest I've been sober in 10 years. I can't remember feeling better physically, I'm in the greatest shape of my life. Emotionally, spiritually, I'm doing SO much better. The lack of guilt and shame is the biggest difference for me now....although I sometimes catch myself being too harsh on myself for stupid things, but that's when I try to snap out of it and remember how well I'm doing.
Old 12-18-2006, 07:59 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I am happy for the most part... I still have good days and bad days depending on what is happening in life, but nothing I would want to sink into oblivion in a bottle over.

I generally find life sober is a happy, wonderful place to live.

Peace, levi
Old 12-18-2006, 10:34 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Am 57 days sober today. Happy? Hmm. Happier? Yes, no question. And I never want to go back to what I left behind back there.

I didn't have much of a pink cloud, partly because I quit before, went back to the bottle before. So I'm less euphoric and more aware of the long tough road ahead, but at the same time more determined to do it only a day at a time. I quit smoking at more or less the same time as I did drinking, and *did* get a huge, but separate pink cloud off that, oddly enough.

peace, NL
Old 12-18-2006, 11:43 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Garden variety drunk

I'm happy. The biggest surprise over these last many 24s is not wanting a drink. Feeling revulsion at the thought of it. That's sanity, considering what I've been through, and it's also a complete surprise. Never during any previous dry time did I not want a drink. And it happened as soon as I asked God for it.
Old 12-18-2006, 01:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Location: Scottsdale, AZ, one big happy dysfunctional family!
Ya know, my second year sober has proven to be a real bitch. For the first time in my life I'm having to deal with emotions and feelings rather than medicating them into submission.

I wouldn't have it any other way. I'm happier than I've ever been in my life, and to have the clarity to recognize my feelings is a true blessing. My children and I have a beautiful life together, and the friends we've made in sobriety are always there to help. Life in sobriety rocks!
Old 12-18-2006, 03:34 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

gr8ful_ed Welcome to our Alcoholism Forum!

Thanks for sharing
Old 12-18-2006, 07:19 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Smile

I only have 15 days so far but I am so much happier.

I sleep through the night and wake up well rested.

I don't wake up hungover anymore worrying about whether I brushed my teeth enough to get the smell of the night before off my breath.

I don't feel the obsession during the day with getting more wine for the night.

I don't have that horrible feeling of worrying about what I said or did the next day after drinking with my friends.

I'm making new friends in AA.

It is all good!!
Old 12-19-2006, 03:03 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tryingtolive View Post
Who here is happy now that they are clean and sober. Mentally, physically, or spiritually. Or all three. Who is happy with the life they have now, is at peace with themselves etc. Hope I get a lot of replies because I have been reading a lot about people who have been sober but aren't really that happy, or so it seems.

I hope to get a lot of replies to this
I can't put it into words tryingtolive. Happy doesn't even get close. I know a few people who stopped drinking for a while, didn't feel happy, and started again. But they were never sober!

All the best to you

Deg.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:04 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Garden variety drunk

Originally Posted by degadar View Post
I can't put it into words tryingtolive. Happy doesn't even get close. I know a few people who stopped drinking for a while, didn't feel happy, and started again. But they were never sober!
My old sponsor would have said, "they don't know what their problem is." He used to say that to me at first. "You don't know what your problem is." How right he was. Today, thank God, I know what my problem was! And still is, sometimes.
Old 12-19-2006, 01:02 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by degadar View Post
I know a few people who stopped drinking for a while, didn't feel happy, and started again. But they were never sober!

Quote of the year, for everyone to remember!
Old 12-19-2006, 01:08 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

I have 201 days sober..crazy! (love that calculator!) Anyway, I am happy. Life isn't all 'peachy', but I'm okay with that now. Still dealing with some kharma, I think lol. It seems to get better and better. I can't wait to see what the future holds for me.

A big lesson for me was finding out life wouldn't be perfect just because I quit drinking. I had to want to be sober eventhough life would still be tough. That took some doing...and some failing. But, it's okay now. That seemed to be a big turning point for me.

I'm just so much happier over the little things now days..you know? Like wanting to get out of bed, or looking forward to tomorrow. It's all worth it. Even the hard times...as long as I'm sober, it's all worth it. Everything is okay, and that's good enough for me!! I'm just so stable now and so full of relief. The happiness is just a bonus! lol
-Moni
Old 12-19-2006, 02:10 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Cathy31 View Post
what a great thread! I have never been happier. not everything is going 100% my way (damn! LOL!) But I have so many blessings, i count them every night as I go to sleep and thank God aloud every morning for the blessing of sobriety AND recovery. It's unbelievably good. my WORST day sober is one million times better than my best day drunk. It is an absolute joy and a privilege.
Cathy31
x
Cathy mentioning how she counts her blessings every night before she goes to sleep is definitely a sure way to have a happier next day. Nothing beats "an attitude of gratitude" This is a habit that has stuck with me. Reviewing my day each night and thinking about where I had been selfish, inconsiderate or dishonest helped make me a happy camper. I have learned how to be a happy person because I sure didn't learn it as a kid. There are many many nights now that I go to sleep with the knowledge and comfort that I was for that 24 hours the woman I want to be. Go for it, it works!
Old 12-19-2006, 03:51 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I love being sober and couldn't be happier!!! I'm about to hit a year!!! Wowza! It's so nice to always have a clear head and not wake up feeling hungover, depressed and unsure about what I did the night before. Those were all horrible feelings!!!! For those with sober minutes/hours/days under your belt keep on trekkin'....it's awesome!!!
Old 12-19-2006, 08:33 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
same planet...different world

Originally Posted by tryingtolive View Post
Who here is happy now that they are clean and sober. Mentally, physically, or spiritually. Or all three. Who is happy with the life they have now, is at peace with themselves etc. Hope I get a lot of replies because I have been reading a lot about people who have been sober but aren't really that happy, or so it seems.

I hope to get a lot of replies to this

I am.
Cautious ... but happy. So much better off. And , have connection with HP back for the first time in almost ... six? Seven? Years. A good connection. A real one.

I don't know about the peace with self yet, but ... small potatos comparatively.

I hope the same for you!
Old 12-20-2006, 03:49 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Originally Posted by michski View Post
Cathy mentioning how she counts her blessings every night before she goes to sleep is definitely a sure way to have a happier next day. Nothing beats "an attitude of gratitude" This is a habit that has stuck with me.
Me too. I've also noticed that I never wake up in the morning and think
"God, I wish I had gotten drunk last night."

Come to think of it, so far I've never woken up in jail and thought "God, if only I hadn't been so sober last night."
Old 12-20-2006, 06:44 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

WOW This is a great topic.

Looking back on where I was and what I was doing on a daily basis and comparing it to what I do now is like night and day. 95 days ago I was sitting in my garage by myself drinking!Wow what a life?

Today I have the love and respect of my family again, I respect and love myself. My family is far happier now having thier father return from the land of the living dead, thier father is happier being part of the family again.

I feel better physically, look healthier (my hair is still gray though! LOL), mentally I still on a daily basis feel improvement.

I am amazed at how many beautiful things there are in this world that when I was drinking I never even noticed, I see the positive in life now where it used to be all I saw were the negatives!

Am I happier? Yes, the happiest I have been in over 20 years!

Is my life perfect now? Heck no, but the problems now I can deal with being sober, I don't ignore them.
Old 12-20-2006, 07:36 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Very Important

This kind of topic, is why many folks I know, turn to this site as a place of hope. Bump big time.

Last edited by CarolD; 12-21-2006 at 01:59 AM.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:20 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

bump....more people reply

Its good for us newcomers to hear that things get better. Im on day three and it isn't that tough....yet. After a couple weeks is when it starts to get hard for me.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:36 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Today's Muse

4 years into sobriety and I'm thrilled with my sober life. It isn't perfect by no means, but I"m managing, coping and feeling life sober and loving it. I can not fathom how I even lived the way I did. Good riddance to that. The thought horrifies me today.
Old 07-07-2008, 06:42 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Life is Grand

Happy, Healthy and glad to be alive!!!!