Notices

Who is happy now that they are sober?

Old 07-10-2008, 05:51 AM
  # 61 (permalink)  

I agree with libertyordeath....My LIVER it seems happy......I swear it smiled at me the other day=)
And I am starting to actually enjoy things in life again that seemed boring before.
I have tried to quit NUMEROUS amounts of time......but for some reason this time I don't even think about drinking and how to "not drink"
Oh and my days..........swimming, suntanning, playing outside, cleaning the house and smelling the fresh air outside, hugging my kids......not looking at the clock for a naptime because my poor liver is tired.
HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY
Old 07-10-2008, 05:23 PM
  # 62 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tryingtolive View Post
Who here is happy now that they are clean and sober. Mentally, physically, or spiritually. Or all three. Who is happy with the life they have now, is at peace with themselves etc. Hope I get a lot of replies because I have been reading a lot about people who have been sober but aren't really that happy, or so it seems.

I hope to get a lot of replies to this
as much as i'd like to put myself on this happy/at peace list i can't
Old 07-10-2008, 06:53 PM
  # 63 (permalink)  

Couldn't be happier. Seriously. A real sense of underlying happiness throughout my day.
Old 07-10-2008, 06:56 PM
  # 64 (permalink)  

Oh and Day 12
Old 07-12-2008, 09:56 PM
  # 65 (permalink)  

My happiness is a by-product of living in a way that is healthy for me. Its not always doing what I want to do, but doing what I need to do. My alcoholism and depression affects every aspect of my life, so I try to cover all bases with spiritual (prayer, meditation, 12 Steps), psychological (therapy,12 Steps), social (AA members) and physical support (nutrition, sleep, excercise) in recovery. This is my platform from where I can branch out to find my place in the world, be the person I want to be.

I need to take care of my foundation, as if my life depended on it (and it does) because I don't want to go back to where I was, being the person I do not want to be. So I take care of the basics: Honesty, Openmindedness, Willingness to do the footwork.

What I think I want doesn't always make me happy, or it is fleeting, or comes with a pay-off involving losing my sense of self in some way. Doing what I need to do gives me the true and lasting contentment I always dreamed of but could never find outside myself.
Old 07-13-2008, 12:45 AM
  # 66 (permalink)  

Hey, I'm alive today.

I've been dead, only for a few minutes but I have.

I've been clean and sober for over a year this time around and I can honestly say that even when I'm raging and pissed off I'm still having a better day than any day I was using or drinking.

I have days or weeks when I'm not happy, but I'm okay with that because I know it will turn around. I can feel my feelings today and that is kind of fun.

Happiness isn't the only feeling I enjoy today, I enjoy most of them. My kids may not enjoy the angry mom who is demanding that they clean their room but they enjoy the attention of the mom who is clean and sober.

The day isn't long enough to share with you all the things that I've enjoyed this last year and some odd months being clean and sober. I've lost Grandparents while sober and while my Father was up here a few weeks ago he said that he had been sober for six months. He watched me get clean and sober and followed along. That makes me happy. My kids are snuggled warm in their beds and knew that if they had any problems today that I would help them out and would be there for them. That makes me happy. My husband came home without my onion rings again and while I was upset that it happened, he knew that I would start cracking jokes a few minutes later and I did. That makes me happy. The dog knows that at midnight someone will bring her in and put her to bed, that makes me happy. Things are normal, consistent and this house is full of love. That makes me happy.

Ya, I'm happy.