Notices

Finally feeling done...

Old 12-11-2006, 03:52 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Finally feeling done...

Well I think it finally happened. I’ve bottomed out. I am so angry at this addiction. I woke up today a total mess. Full weekend of boozing and I added a few vicodin to the mix. (When you guys were boozing, did you get unexplained pain? My upper back has been killing me for months for no reason so that’s why the vics) Needless to say the vicos added to the hangover. Now I have xanax and valium that I take on average once a week. Vicos as needed also. I’m doing some research on valium dosage to get through the next couple days. I don’t think I need the ER but if it gets ugly I wont hesitate to wonder in. I’ll only take valium for a day or two. (Benzos aren’t my deal anyway...) Also, after 5 yrs of dating and 3 yrs of marriage, my wife and I officially decided to try for a kid. No way I’m going to be like my dad or his dad etc….So its time and I’m motivated. There is a meeting down the street that I may wonder into later tonight. I’m not feeling so hot so I may wait until this detox is over. Though I would assume they have seen everything. Hopefully it will only be a few days. Thanks for listening everyone.
Old 12-11-2006, 04:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Welcome to the SR Alcoholism Forum!

Yes...it does seem that you are ready
for sobriety.

Good Luck
Old 12-11-2006, 04:42 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome,

I am glad that you think you're ready. There is lots of support and information here, so keep posting and reading.
Old 12-11-2006, 06:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi Henry,

Welcome! This does sound like the right time for you to stop drinking. Keep us posted on how you do over the next few days, okay?
Old 12-11-2006, 10:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I went to meetings during my home detox. Believe me, they've seen everything......

You really should see a doctor, but if you have benzo.....I bought a BP monitor at Rite-Aid. That's the biggest risk is strokin' out or having heart failure.

You're gonna be real uncomfortable, depending on how physically addicted you are.

Keep in touch, keep coming back, get to that meeting.

Good Luck & God Bless.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:52 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Henry welcome, anytime anyone decides enough is enough of drinking and drugging is the right time. I drank for 40 years and put myself into detox, I feel it made things a lot easier intially for several reasons, one being the meds they gave me to control the shakes and blood pressure, and the inability to easily go out and get some booze.

Not knowing your full story I really have no idea if detox would be a good idea for you or not. The best thing may be for you to go talk to your doctor. Initially this raod may prove a rough one, but with time it gets better and easier.

Going to the meeting will let you get some advise from folks who have been where you are at now or possibly even further down the road you are on. I find that advise from some one who has been there and done that is a lot easier to swallow then some talking head blow smoke up ones butt!
Old 12-12-2006, 05:29 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

Bottoms are GOOD!!

I did that booze, vicodin and valium dance for a few years... man, I can't tell you how wonderful it is to not have to keep myself supplied!

Booze and drugs definitely lower the amount and quality of your little guys inside yourself (sperm) so you would give yourself and your kid a quality healthy start by cleaning you up.

Congrats! Have a healthy healthy baby and stick around here, there's a lot of good good sobriety here to help you out!
Old 12-12-2006, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Funny GP, I just went down to CVS and picked up a BP monitor about an hour ago. Got my pedialite and ensure also. I guess coming off the booze turns me into a baby and an older guy at the same time. Any other nutritional suggestions you guys have to get me through these few days would be much appreciated. I'm sure others out there lurking would also appreciate the info. Luckily I've never been addicted to the pills. I'm scared of those suckers. Just take them as needed (though i did take a few vicodin over the weekend).Been doing alot of walking today. Fresh air seems to help. Hot showers. Just keeping positive and confident is the most important thing, at least for me. When I get tempted, I just think of my anger towards my alci dad, anger at myself. OK, being positive, confident....and a little anger doesn't hurt also. Yesterday was bad but I think I had the flu. I've detoxed many times and never felt like that. It just seemed....like an illness. Temp was too high, aches. There is alot of stuff going around right now. So on top of withdrawals I had that to deal with. Wonderful. I took a loading dose of valium yesterday (40mg) yesterday morning and it still seems to be doing the job (2:55pm). Doesn't come on strong but sticks around a while. Long half life. Sleeping will still be tough this week. If I need to take anymore today I'll lower the dose by %20-25. Hopefully I wont need anymore but I wont take any chances. FYI-I was drinking about 8-10 light beers during the week and who knows on the weekends. Bloody Marys in the morning and went from there. Anyway, I've been through this before... I think I'll be OK. Thanks for all of the posts everyone. It really does help and I'll be checking in frequently.
Old 12-12-2006, 04:25 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Henry, have you tried a 12 step ?

I was like you. I home de-toxed so many times I knew what to expect. Still, the last one was the worst. Also, they say your chance of full on DTs with convulsions increrase every time you de-tox.

Anyway, I couldn't do it on my own. God knows I tried. AA really helped, it's been 49 Days. I couldn't put together 3 or 4 days before.

Let us know howe it goes.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:13 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Henry glad to see you are still hanging in there, I am taking vitamin B complex vitamins, they are supposed to help a lot of things I have been screwing up with the booze all these past 40 years, it has helped.... I think, I feel great now, of course not drinking for 86 days I know alone has me feeling a lot better.

Good advice IMO Glass, I was never able to stay of the sauce long enough to ever say I had home de-toxed, I thought I had done it hundreds of times, but then when I really did detox I found out that things really did not even begin to happen to me until well into the third day which I had never reached in the last 10 years of my drinking. Congrats on you 49 days Glass.