Notices

Six Months Today!

Old 12-12-2006, 09:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

Six Months Today!

Today is my six month sobriety date and I didn't even realize it until almost midnight. I was out of town on business all day and flew home late tonight. My boss and another co-worker were trying to figure out where to eat and get beer at the Atlanta airport, and they chose the Samuel Adams restaurant for the beer. I used to really like Sam Adams..... I ordered ice tea and was fine.

Thanks for having this forum. I don't post often but I do come here to lurk a few days a week, and it really does help to hear from others like me.

Life is good.... In six months, I've lost 37 pounds, and 37.5 inches and dropped from a size 22 to a size 14. People are commenting often about how much better I look as a much thinner person. (I'm 5'8" tall, so size 14 doesn't look too bad on me, although size 12 or maybe even 10 would really look nice). I hope to still get there one of these days.

My energy level is through the roof now instead of completely nonexistent like it used to be.
Old 12-13-2006, 12:34 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Fantastic!!
Old 12-13-2006, 01:26 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Congratulations DKS.

An example to all us 'beginners'.
Old 12-13-2006, 02:53 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Yay!

Old 12-13-2006, 03:02 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not the center of the Universe

Awesome!
Old 12-13-2006, 03:32 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

Fantastic!! Congrats on 6 months, I would imagine it is very exciting, are you doing better then you were at three months? BTW I liked Sam Adams also when I drank.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congratulations!! Well done DKS!!
Old 12-13-2006, 06:38 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations DKS, that's awesome. You are an inspiration to us all.

Levi
Old 12-13-2006, 02:47 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thumbs up

WOW!! That is very inspiring. Your post has helped me get through today.

Your friend,
SportsGuy
Old 12-13-2006, 02:53 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Wow, congratulations and thanks for sharing and for the inspiration!
Old 12-13-2006, 03:56 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

Thanks everyone! Yes, I'm doing better than at 3 months. I don't think about drinking much any more. There was one really, really rough day after Thanksgiving that DH and I weren't getting along and I was running all over town alone with our 3 kids who were bickering like cats and dogs. I had taken them to the movies and to get haircuts and we were Christmas shopping, etc, basically spending quality time together but DH chose not to be with us. At one point, I suddenly really wanted a drink, and it scared the living daylights out of me. DH stopped drinking the same time I did last June, but he has relapsed several times since then and it has really hurt. The only thing stopping him now is that he keeps getting gout, and it is incredibly painful and alcohol causes gout (along with red meat and other things). The fear of pain is working as a deterrent for him for the moment. We were at the marriage counselor the other day, and we were talking about how he keeps relapsing and how scared to death I am of falling back into that habit and never coming back out. I told her how badly it hit me that day the kids were bickering and out of the blue I was really craving a drink, and it terrified me. She reiterated again to my husband how important it is for both of our sakes for him to stay sober.

I've also had nightmares a few times where I was drinking again, or where he called me up to tell me he was going to go to the bar with his friends and get plastered and he was going to go back to doing that every night again. Those dreams were so real, and also pretty scary. I even woke up and realized hours later that it had been a dream. Isn't' that weird???

I do appreciate all the support here, and seeing that others have had dreams and nightmares like this, so it helps to know that this really is normal even though it seems so strange to me.
Old 12-13-2006, 04:24 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

congrats
Old 12-13-2006, 05:33 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

your story is inspirational. keep at it! thanks for sharing your story.
Old 12-13-2006, 06:49 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Congrats!! 6 months is great.

I am somone who knows I will have to quit soon. Alcohol is depressing me and destroying my pesonality. I did quit for about 5 weeks and then went back to school and visited my frat house (bad idea).

For those 5 weeks I felt that I wasn't doing that great and was lonely and angry all the time. It is good to know that at 6 months it gets better than it does at 3 months.
Old 12-13-2006, 07:30 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

WOW! Way to GO! congratulations! keep inspiring us!
Old 12-13-2006, 07:53 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

congrats,,
keep on,keeping on!!!!!
Old 12-13-2006, 09:06 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
DKS
Glad to be here

Originally Posted by tryingtolive View Post
Congrats!! 6 months is great.

I am somone who knows I will have to quit soon. Alcohol is depressing me and destroying my pesonality. I did quit for about 5 weeks and then went back to school and visited my frat house (bad idea).

For those 5 weeks I felt that I wasn't doing that great and was lonely and angry all the time. It is good to know that at 6 months it gets better than it does at 3 months.

Good luck! You can do it. The first week was really, really rough, but it got better and better after that. It's really nice to not have to worry about which one of us is going to buy the beer on the way home, or worry that whoever buys it will buy enough to last us through the night, etc, etc. It took awhile for the old habits to die, but I rarely even think about it any more.