Notices

Stages of Change

Old 11-30-2006, 04:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Stages of Change

Taken from the Smart website.

I do find these stages common with a lot of people in recovery. I do find these very descriptive of what I am going through and what I've been through in the past.

I wonder though, when does recovery start. Can one say that the precontemplation stage is the start of recovery, or does recovery begin with action? Interesting.

Stages of Change

1) PRECONTEMPLATION STAGE

"IT ISN'T THAT WE CAN'T SEE THE SOLUTION. IT IS THAT WE CAN'T SEE THE PROBLEM"

Precontemplators usually show up in therapy because of pressures from others… spouses, employers,
parents, and courts… Resist change. When their problem comes up, they change the topic of
conversation. They place responsibility for their problems on factors such as genetic makeup, addition,
family, society, destiny, the police, etc.

They feel the situation is HOPELESS.

2) CONTEMPLATION STAGE

"I WANT TO STOP FEELING SO STUCK"

Contemplators acknowledge that they have a problem and begin to think about solving it.
Contemplators struggle to understand their problems, to see its causes, and wonder about possible
solutions. Many contemplators have indefinite plans to take action within the next few months.

"YOU KNOW YOUR DESTINATION, AND EVEN HOW TO GET THERE, BUT YOU ARE NOT READY
TO GO YET"

It is not uncommon for contemplators to tell themselves that some day they are going to change. When
contemplators transition to the preparation stage of change, their thinking is clearly marked by two
changes. First, they begin to think more about the future than the past.

The end of contemplation stage is a time of ANTICIPATION, ACTIVITY, ANXIETY, and EXCITEMENT.

3) PREPARATION STAGE

Most people in the preparation stage are planning to take action and are making the final adjustments
before they begin to change their behavior. Have not yet resolved their AMBIVALENCE. Still need a little
convincing.

4) ACTION STAGE

Stage where people overtly modify their behavior and their surroundings. Make the move for which they
have been preparing. Requires the greatest commitment of time and energy.

CHANGE IS MORE VISIBLE TO OTHERS.

5) MAINTENANCE STAGE

Change never ends with action. Without a strong commitment to maintenance, there will surely be
relapse, usually to precontemplation or contemplation stage.

MOST SUCCESSFUL SELF-CHANGERS GO THROUGH THE STAGES THREE OR FOUR TIMES
BEFORE THEY MAKE IT THROUGH THE CYCLE OF CHANGE WITHOUT AT LEAST ONE SLIP.
MOST WILL RETURN TO THE CONTEMPLATION STAGE OF CHANGE. SLIPS GIVE US THE
OPPORTUNITY TO LEARN
Old 11-30-2006, 05:12 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I got stuck in stage 2 until I hit rock bottom which immediately boosted me into stage 4
Old 12-01-2006, 05:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Follow Directions!

I kind of rolled between 1 & 2 for a long time, then I went through a phase of "Ah to heck with it!" and sat in stage one until I hit the bottom and bounced from 1, right through 2, did a hop at 3 and leaped into 4.

Change never ends with action. Without a strong commitment to maintenance, there will surely be
relapse, usually to precontemplation or contemplation stage.
I maintain a very strong commitment to maintenance, and as long as I maintain that commitment I will not relapse. I also remain ever vigilante to my disease trying to convince me that I am not an alcohol because I have been sober (Name the amount of time) and do not need a drink!
Old 12-01-2006, 07:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks, Mongo!

Interesting reading, and I guess we all can get something from it. Change has come slow to me, but I belive it is coming!

I see from your posts you are doing well, so glad to hear it!

Best!
S
Old 12-03-2006, 02:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Ron - That was interesting reading and makes so much sense. I'm happy to say that I feel I'm finally in the 4th stage. I plan to remain in that stage, but if for some reason I slip, at least I know how to pick myself back up and get back to where I left off.

Thanks! Keep up all the good work - before you know it, you'll be at your one year anniversary.
Nanita