Notices

maybe not a good idea but I gotta know

Old 11-23-2006, 01:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

maybe not a good idea but I gotta know

in about 3 months I am moving to alberta to go to college. my entire family is up there from my mom all the to all my cousins everybody

I KNOW that when I go up and the family gets together most of us will party HARD because thats what we do, espically the group that I will call "the kliq"

which consists, of me, my cousin kodie, my cousin mathew and my cousins big mike and little mike

(the reason why we call one big mike and the other little mike is because one is about 8 inches taller then the other)

I know that we are gonna drink and I know that we are proabaly gonna drink alot, (mostly on weekends)

this iworries me a little bit because of my dad's history (which you all proabaly know about by now)

but I have to know if I can handle alcohol ( I dont drink beer but I LOVE rum and coke)

I have to know weither or not I am stronger then the very thing that brought my father to his knees

but before I make this decsion I need to know do you think I should back out?

or is it worth to take the risk and find out for myself what my tolerence is?

I have 3-4 months to think about it but that will go by quick

this is a decsion that could potenially destory me

but on the other hand I also kinda need to know what I can and cannot handle

what should I do?
Old 11-23-2006, 02:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Forward we go...side by side-Rest In Peace

Going to college is a wise move.

Drinking is not ever a wise move.

Take care
Old 11-23-2006, 02:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

"this is a decsion that could potenially destory me"
End of story.
Here's my experience:
college + alcohol = incompletes. F's, withdrawal from classes GPA:1.2
college + sobriety = BA, M.Ed GPA 3.77, soon to be Ed.d
This should be a no brainer. You're going there for school, not for the kliq.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

King,
I would be very, very careful. You're smart to be thinking about it now. I'll bet a lot of us really got into this mess by starting to drink heavily in college, even without a ready-made group of partiers standing by. Think about your choices. This could affect your whole life.
Best of luck,
CS
Old 11-23-2006, 06:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

When you K-N-O-W with certainty that alcohol is your poison, you will not wonder about trying to have it in any form.

College is not the problem, being with friends and family is not the problem, life is not the problem. All of these situations and relationships may present triggers for an alcoholic to want to drink, but you can learn how NOT to drink.

If you accept that you are alcoholic and can not drink alcohol, then you actually simplify your life and give yoursel the best odds at succeeding in all that you endeavour to do.

But only you can do that part.

We are here to help you. I love hearing from you, so please keep us in your process for support.
Old 11-23-2006, 06:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
I'm HOME!!!!!

Just brings to mind that old saying....."Play with fire...etc"

Do you really want to risk it?? What if you find you can't control it....and then it's too late!

If alcohol is not a big deal....then don't do it....if you feel you have to do it....maybe it's a bigger deal than you want to admit.

P.S. Most if not all alcoholics started just drinking with friends
Old 11-23-2006, 07:20 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

dude - stay out of it..
Old 11-23-2006, 08:03 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi King, perhaps you should review this link supplied by CarolD... I grew up in an alcoholic home and was struggling a bit, more so recently, and this really helped me get a grip and understanding of my particular situation...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html
Old 11-23-2006, 12:21 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm with Toronto guy -- stay out of it. Once you're in it, it's all downhill from there!
Old 11-23-2006, 01:02 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by THE KING
in about 3 months I am moving to alberta to go to college. my entire family is up there from my mom all the to all my cousins everybody

I KNOW that when I go up and the family gets together most of us will party HARD because thats what we do, espically the group that I will call "the kliq"

which consists, of me, my cousin kodie, my cousin mathew and my cousins big mike and little mike

(the reason why we call one big mike and the other little mike is because one is about 8 inches taller then the other)

I know that we are gonna drink and I know that we are proabaly gonna drink alot, (mostly on weekends)

this iworries me a little bit because of my dad's history (which you all proabaly know about by now)

but I have to know if I can handle alcohol ( I dont drink beer but I LOVE rum and coke)

I have to know weither or not I am stronger then the very thing that brought my father to his knees

but before I make this decsion I need to know do you think I should back out?

or is it worth to take the risk and find out for myself what my tolerence is?

I have 3-4 months to think about it but that will go by quick

this is a decsion that could potenially destory me

but on the other hand I also kinda need to know what I can and cannot handle

what should I do?

Im confused.......are you an alcoholic?
Old 11-23-2006, 02:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

No..... but my father was, I amyself am not (as far as I know) but what I HAVE to know is will the very thing that brought my dad to his knees do the same to me, thats the question
Old 11-23-2006, 02:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's not a question of strength. Being an alcoholic is not a weakness or character defect. It's a disease.
Old 11-23-2006, 04:56 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I'm graduating from college this May. I'm also an alcoholic (even though I like to run like hell and hide from the truth...it is, unfortunately, the truth). I can't say that I've royally f-ed up anything as far as grades go...I have a 3.7 GPA (and no, I'm not just naturally smart...I really have worked my ass off) My best advice is to go to college (certainly don't deny yourself that opportunity), but get non-drinking support from the beginning. I guarantee you you don't want to risk that thought that maybe alcohol will be my demise, maybe it won't. If you have the slightest smidgen of doubt that it will be, go in with the mindset that you aren't even going to get into it and GET SUPPORT. Find non-drinking friends. Go to al-anon or something...do what you gotta do, but don't do it alone. Best of luck and if you want a college sober buddy, I'm here, I'm young in sobriety, but I'm dealing with some similar things...feel free to contact me any time!
Old 11-23-2006, 06:32 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mikel60
"this is a decsion that could potenially destory me"
End of story.
Here's my experience:
college + alcohol = incompletes. F's, withdrawal from classes GPA:1.2
college + sobriety = BA, M.Ed GPA 3.77, soon to be Ed.d
This should be a no brainer. You're going there for school, not for the kliq.

that would make sense if I was going to college from the get go but I'm not, I wont be able to because by the time I get up there the year will be over, I'll have to wait a few months so in those 4 months between my arrival and my starting college (college ends here in april I will be there in feb/march)
what do I do?
Old 11-23-2006, 07:37 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Belgian Sheepdog Adictee

what do I do?
Get a temporary job. I'm sure you can use the money, lol. Do volunteer work if a job isn't available. Get ahead of the game, find out what the required reading is going to be for your first semester of courses and ..............................start reading, etc.

I'm a recovering alcoholic with many years sober now. My sister is 10 1/2 years younger than me. When she reached your age I was in full bore alcoholism, she chose not to drink. She never found it to be a problem that she did not drink. Her friends who did in some ways respected her more that she didn't. She is not an alkie and doesn't want to drink to find out if she might become one, lol.

You are on the brink of a great life. You do not need alcohol to have fun, to make friends, etc...........why risk the possibly of becoming an alcoholic?

Your choice King.

J M H O

Hope it helps.

Love and hugs,
Old 11-23-2006, 07:46 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

well I know that it never affected me the last time I saw the boys,

I was on holidays for 14 days and we drank for 10-12 of them and it never harmed me, sure I had to be carried hom twice but in a 14 day period 2 times doesnt seem to bad

maybe I can drink without worry

and I havent even thought about drinking till recently

does all this mean I'm ok?

I am confused
Old 11-23-2006, 07:48 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Wii
A SeaBird Living LandLocked

Wink

Have your rum and coke, just leave out the rum and you'll be fine. Sounds too simple aye? But not easy. Just remember One is too many and a thousand is not enough.
Old 11-23-2006, 10:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Unhappy It's Not Worth The Risk!

It is best not to play with fire. It is not worth the risk. One it takes hold of you, it is too late.

I did not start drinking until I went to college. At some point, it spiraled out of control.... now, I'm here and I've destroyed my GPA. I'm working to pick up the pieces right now. If I could go back and get the chance to do it again, I'd would have never touched alcohol.
I have a family history of alcoholism........ it was a dangerous and deadly risk that I took and I'm paying dearly for it.

Please take these responses seriously and to heart. They are written with your best interest in mind.

Don't get yourself in the same situation that I found myself in.. college is a great opportunity that will open many doors, don't let it slip away because of booze.

All the best to you--
Old 11-24-2006, 12:16 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by leviathon
Hi King, perhaps you should review this link supplied by CarolD... I grew up in an alcoholic home and was struggling a bit, more so recently, and this really helped me get a grip and understanding of my particular situation...

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...influence.html

link doesnt work
Old 11-24-2006, 12:28 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I was on holidays for 14 days and we drank for 10-12 of them and it never harmed me, sure I had to be carried hom twice but in a 14 day period 2 times doesnt seem to bad

maybe I can drink without worry
HUH???

Sounds to me like you just want us to say you're not an alcoholic so go on drinking with the boys. Really the only person who can answer honestly, and with all the facts, is YOU.